Damaged my CTR this morning...

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Not sure what someone meant by the cam doesn't show the tag. Not sure what you mean by tag, if you are referring to impacting my car, then yes, the cam does show that.
"Tag" means the license plate number of your vehicle. As far as the insurance company knows, you might have hit another car in a parking lot while drunk and just sent them some random video you found claiming that was you driving down the road when a piece of foam got thrown up into the front of your car. I believe you, but insurance companies - even your own - are not your friend. I believe that was where others were going with the tag. :)
Sponsored

Infinity000

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2004 CR-V
Country flag
"Tag" means the license plate number of your vehicle. As far as the insurance company knows, you might have hit another car in a parking lot while drunk and just sent them some random video you found claiming that was you driving down the road when a piece of foam got thrown up into the front of your car. I believe you, but insurance companies - even your own - are not your friend. I believe that was where others were going with the tag. :)
If this is a concern, I don't think they have an argument if he moves the camera while still recording to show plate and his face and damage, etc. This may be what others are referring to as well.

IamMrRoy

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 HRV, 18 Wrangler JK, 17 Wrangler JKU, 07 Pilot, 06 Chevy Express, 02 Chry PTC, 01 GMC Yukon XL Denali
Country flag
@zroger73
I think "tag" means your nickname like youtuber name which would appear like a watermark on the video.

@OP
My advice is to get a $500 or $1000 deductible. What would the annual savings be? You can fix a lot of small stuff for that. If over, yeah let them pay and hopefully no additional premiums.

Best of luck on and off the road!

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
@zroger73
I think "tag" means your nickname like youtuber name which would appear like a watermark on the video.
If your intent is to entertain the masses on YouTube while receiving credit and retaining some privacy, feel free to put anything you want there, such as your username or nothing at all. In front of a judge, attorney, or insurance adjuster, you'll have a better case if you have your vehicle's license plate number ("tag") or VIN in displayed in the video along with your GPS coordinates and speed.

Last edited:

IamMrRoy

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 HRV, 18 Wrangler JK, 17 Wrangler JKU, 07 Pilot, 06 Chevy Express, 02 Chry PTC, 01 GMC Yukon XL Denali
Country flag
Oh, I get it. Sorry, for the miscommunication. Gamers use "tag" like nicknames, that's what I thought you meant in your first comment. I misunderstood.

rjm161

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I know it's not a Type R, but it sickened me nonetheless. 2 months old and 1600 miles. Some a-hole dropped plywood on the highway.

Honda Civic 10th gen Damaged my CTR this morning... {filename}

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
I know it's not a Type R, but it sickened me nonetheless. 2 months old and 1600 miles. Some a-hole dropped plywood on the highway.

dam man that really sucks... sorry to hear. people are the worst

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag

No worries It doesn't have to be a type R. You can have any car and the damage would be the same. Road debris does not discriminate. It hit stuff on the freeway many times or have stuff flung at me. It sucks.

rjm161

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I was worried that the Sonic Grey would be really tough to match. The body shop made it look every bit as good as new. Those guys are artists.

kvnhmmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
Can't claim without proof or witnesses. The cam doesn't really show the tag.
@zroger73
I'm a little late to the game here. My best guess of what this person meant by "tag" is the license plate of the truck that kicked up the debris.

When you began your post blaming a piece of styrofoam for busting a hole in your bumper, I like many others had doubts. I assume that's why someone asked for a picture of said styrofoam.

You then delivered by posting DASH CAM FOOTAGE. Surely I thought that would shut up the people who doubted you. However, this is the internet I remind you...

Pro Tip: Next time something happens, if you have any doubt about the dash cam catching the license plate (or "tag") then read the tag out loud, so it's verbally captured on the video's audio.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
Not sure what exactly you folks are discussing on a claim. The debris did not come from the truck in front of me. The debris was laying on the side of the road and the truck only kicked it up to make it air born. Not sure what someone meant by the cam doesn't show the tag. Not sure what you mean by tag, if you are referring to impacting my car, then yes, the cam does show that. It also records sound so you hear the thug. Surprisingly you do not hear me say WHAT THE F%#& ??? I did not upload the video, only a few snap shops of the flying foam. When you watch the video you actually see the foam break apart into three pieces when it hits my car. My coworkers thought it was hilarious and plan to take the clip and add explosions. I hope to retire soon. My coworkers are assholes. ;)

My insurance will cover all repairs, no deductible, no hit on my insurance. It's a comprehensive claim because a falling object was the cause of the damage. I have ordered the Front Grill ($125 shipped). I wanted to get this ordered ASAP due to the rumors of part shortages. I have taken it to my local body shop that I have used for years. He suggested he paint the piece just above the front grill, it is actually part of the bumper. It has a few stress cracks in it due to the impact. Other then that, it's install the new front grill (swapping the emblems from old to new) and thats it.

So now, if I report a formal claim to my insurance it will be documented. If I have the repairs done out of pocket I avoid a report on a future carfax. The part is $125, what could be the cost of the paint on the top of the bumper and the installation?

What would you do?
For the cost of the part, I would avoid a claim. Involving insurance is really not required on a cosmetic bit like this and you do not want to adversely affect your assumed good standing with your provider.

That said, you can ask for every bit of detail on what negatives may come out of filing this claim. You may lose discounts, or you may lose nothing...every company is different and every case is unique.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like no videos can be uploaded so here are a couple of screen shots from my dash cam...

Luckily you can't upload a video, so we don't get to hear your screams! I know I'd be screaming if that was coming for my brand new R Type!