dam electronic parking brake problem!!!!!

scottgas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe, 2007 Nissan Xterra SE, 2008 Hyundai Tiburon SE, 1996 Nissan 300ZX N/A
Country flag
So today after stopping to get coffee the damn parking brake wouldn't release. After multiple drives and multiple starting and turning off then starting it still isnt working. As long as my seatbelt is connected it WILL release if I start to take off. When I turn the car off after a couple seconds the parking brake automatically sets itself.

All this being said, I WAS in a minor accident a week ago. I was rear ended on the interstate while stopped in traffic. Rear end damage is the bumper cover, bumper support (I imagine) and the trunk lid has a small dent. The damage is all on the driver side. Total initial estimate is under $3000, so not major.

Could a rear end hit like this cause an issue with the parking brake?

Yesterday the damn entertainment screen wigged out and went dark. After trying to power off I shut the car off then restarted and after a couple minutes the screen cam back on and everything worked as normal.

Lastly, last July I was in an accident on the same interstate. That time I rear ended someone. Totally my fault. Substantial front end damage. Basically the whole front end got replaced including the core support. Wastegate actuator got smooshed so the turbo got replaced. Passenger motor mount got broken as well as passenger cv shaft boot got torn. Basically the whole front end but ZERO frame damage. I hadnt had any issues of any kind after the 1st accident so I don't think the current issues are related to the 1st accident.

SO, do you all think my current issues are related to this recent accident or are they separate stand alone coincidental issues.

The car is out of the factory warranty BUT I did buy the extended warranty from Carmax when i bought the car.
Sponsored

bigf007dreams

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CBP Honda Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I would check for pinched/damaged wires.

OP
OP

scottgas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe, 2007 Nissan Xterra SE, 2008 Hyundai Tiburon SE, 1996 Nissan 300ZX N/A
Country flag
will do, thanks

OP
OP

scottgas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Got the car back today from the body shop. Feels so good to back in my own car. Been in a Hyundai Venue for 3 weeks. What a CRAPBOX! Made an appointment with a local big shop that handles Maxcare claims for Carmax to look at the e-brake issue next Friday. Will report back.

OP
OP

scottgas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So took the car to a local shop that handles Maxxcare claims for Carmaxx. Diagnosed as bad parking brake switch. They are ordering parts today. Will keep updated

OP
OP

scottgas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
part should be in this week. hopefully it fixes it.

OP
OP

scottgas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I got the issue fixed last Friday. They replaced the parking brake switch as well as the brake hold button. Not sure if they are separate parts or come as one. Regardless, it works fine now.

Mike333h

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2009 Mini R56 JCW, 2020 Honda CRV
Country flag
Hope it works out for you. They do work on the same actuators, but pretty sure they are different "systems". I haven't looked at the wiring diagram on it, so just speculating.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Hope it works out for you. They do work on the same actuators, but pretty sure they are different "systems". I haven't looked at the wiring diagram on it, so just speculating.
The parking brake actuates the rear caliper motors while brake hold uses the ABS system to hold line pressure when stopped. Different systems. Now, if you pull the parking brake while moving, it will apply full braking pressure to all of the brakes and then engage the parking brake when at a complete stop.

Mike333h

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2009 Mini R56 JCW, 2020 Honda CRV
Country flag
The parking brake actuates the rear caliper motors while brake hold uses the ABS system to hold line pressure when stopped. Different systems. Now, if you pull the parking brake while moving, it will apply full braking pressure to all of the brakes and then engage the parking brake when at a complete stop.
Thanks, that is good to know.
Sponsored