Daily Driver and Track Toy, but Rattles

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
This car is really good as both. Or was until I replaced the motor mounts. Now it is winter, and there is no track fun for a while, it is hard to accept the awful rattles and buzzes caused by the Hasport extreme performance motor mounts I had installed after the originals were destroyed by a long autocross day, five hours of continuous throwing the car around to at least the 1 G limit of lateral force left and right.

It is only intolerable around 2K RPM. Nothing in the dash I can find, all that seems well-built by Honda to prevent vibration, everything fastened down, even felt glued onto some of the wiring. The original upper motor mount had a small counter-weight sticking off it. So there was lots of thought and effort by Honda put into eliminating vibration, buzz, and rattle. Too bad they didn't make the motor mounts more sturdy.

But I have ruined all that. When I start the car I have to reassure the passengers, it is so shockingly loud inside. Not exhaust, just engine vibration reverberating in the whole car. (I kind of like it)

The worst of the vibration goes away when you open the hood, so I fear it is something in the spring-loaded hinges, which I can't get to. Sometimes if I open the hood and close it, the buzz goes away for a while.
Sponsored

silverblip

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota TRD Off-Road MT
Country flag
Another thread title that makes a problem look like Honda's fault, when the owner caused the problem. :confused:

OP
OP

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Another thread title that makes a problem look like Honda's fault, when the owner caused the problem. :confused:
The mechanic who installed the aftermarket motor mounts said about the broken ones, "Honda must have made those for cars driven by grandmothers."
Of course it is my fault. I chose the motor mounts for the most extreme use.

Last edited:

jaco

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI, 99 Miata
Country flag
My SI has a massive dash rattle and is 100% stock.

shibles

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah something in my center console by the shifter rattles. If I hit it hard enough it goes away for awhile lol.

Anyways sounds like the solution is the same as it was on my Miata that needed transmission work, crank the windows down, blast the music, and upgrade the exhaust. Can't be any problems if you can't hear it :thumbsup:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
yep mine too, it's super annoying. I've just accepted it at this point. Can't imagine how bad mine would be with a stiffer motor mount
It may not be your dashes, it may the window pillars. When I owned a 2018 Si, there was a rattle that developed and would be prominent on cold days that I thought was from the dash, but it turned out to be the drivers side pillar. One day I put my hand on the plastic, and the rattling stopped. I let go and the rattle came back. I would slip a penny in the plastic to stop the rattle. It worked pretty much, but I would have to keep adjusting the penny because when it moved the rattle would start again!

Reactions: 077

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
It may not be your dashes, it may the window pillars. When I owned a 2018 Si, there was a rattle that developed and would be prominent on cold days that I thought was from the dash, but it turned out to be the drivers side pillar. One day I put my hand on the plastic, and the rattling stopped. I let go and the rattle came back. I would slip a penny in the plastic to stop the rattle. It worked pretty much, but I would have to keep adjusting the penny because when it moved the rattle would start again!
this was fixed by dealer when I complained the same. I guess they insulated that area to minimize the vibrations.

Now it's back again... LOL!!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I think a large majority of interior rattles and creaks actually are coming from the center console area. If you look the the design, it's overly complex with many plastic on plastic joints that vibrate.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
this was fixed by dealer when I complained the same. I guess they insulated that area to minimize the vibrations.

Now it's back again... LOL!!
Well, you can't win them all!

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
That's the worst rattle I've ever heard lol, it's so high frequency it sounds more like a buzz. I have the 27won rmm and used to have the hasport 62a side mounts and it didn't even come close to that. Good luck chasing down that rattle I don't know if I could handle that especially when I just woke up on a cold morning

Slightly related to your hood comment, my hood started rattling like 4 months ago and when I first noticed it I thought my engine was knocking :eek: then I realized it goes away when I press down on the hood :thumbsup:

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I think a large majority of interior rattles and creaks actually are coming from the center console area. If you look the the design, it's overly complex with many plastic on plastic joints that vibrate.
I have my center console out at the moment after installing the Acuity shifter and I still have dash rattles. It's really annoying. Sounds like it's coming from behind the dash close to the windshield. I used to have one that sounded like it was coming from behind the gauge cluster but I haven't heard that one in a while.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
There are some clips along the fuel line that rattle and I think the washer fluid sprayers on the hood rattle as well. Check those.

aethecarfanatic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
I already fixed the A pillars from rattling. I pulled out the center speaker and poke around while it was rattling and it completely stopped so it's definitely coming from in there. It's just on cold start. Something in there isn't tightened down enough or something. There's no way I'm having the dealer touch my dash, because everyone knows I'd end up with more rattles than I started with :cry: