D-Street Type R AutoX info sharing

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Picked up my car last week and looking forward to some DS'ing in the Type R. Previously ran an HS Sport Hatch (3rd at Nats in 2018) and my 2017 Si locally. Hoping the CTR will be more of the same.

Not sure how many events I'll make it to this year. Might try the stock Contis first to see just how bad they are.
Sponsored

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Even with the contis aired up a good amount, I was still seeing a bit of sidewall roll, other than that they seemed ok.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Even with the contis aired up a good amount, I was still seeing a bit of sidewall roll, other than that they seemed ok.
How high? Kind of figured as much. Not exactly a lot of sidewall to roll onto though ;)

StevenMatchett

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Ran the contis at a TnT teaching my wife how to autocross. Was only 3 tenths off pace from 275 re71s granted it was in the 50s. Was running 42 square and had 0 roll over. They really struggle to put power down though

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
How high? Kind of figured as much. Not exactly a lot of sidewall to roll onto though ;)
Sorry its been a minute, but I think I aired them up to 38 to start and was planning on letting the air down from there.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From other Street Class car's use case with it liking more wheel width and camber I wonder if it works well to be pinched....

BFG definitely sucked running that wide on this car.

With me buying a house this year it seems less and less likely I'd go out and run an actual season so I probably won't be testing anything this year. But I still want to run a 245 Yoko test against I think something RT660.

CTR3829

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Where is the wheel source right now? According to what I can find i cannot find any 19x8.5 wheels within the offset we need.

Any Suggestions?

jrow3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2003 4Runner
Country flag
Where is the wheel source right now? According to what I can find i cannot find any 19x8.5 wheels within the offset we need.

Any Suggestions?
Your options are stock NSX wheels, or the Motegi's from Tire Rack.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/close-to-stock-performance-wheel-options.57529/

OEM Stock FK8 | 20" $900/w ~27.6lb +60 Cast - These are the stock wheels that came on your Type R. There are numerous reasons to move off these, so I assume one of those reasons is why you're here.

LE FK8 Type R | 20" $1400/w 23.6lb +60 Forged - These are the newest and (in my opinion) worst option here. They are by far the most expensive (1400$), still fairly heavy (due to being 20") and there are many better options below. If you are able to pick these up very cheaply somehow they are a fine choice, but not nearly worth the estimated price we expect these to leave dealers hands for.
Tire Rack Forged ONE | $680/w 20.3lb +53 Forged - I have not heard much around these wheels, but they seem to be a Motegi/NSX competitor. That said they are more expensive than the NSX wheel and heavier. I would only look at this option if you are unable to find NSX wheels, or are a big fan of the styling.
Titan 7 | $680/w 20.5lb +45 19", $520/w 18.1lb +45 18" Forged - These are a very popular option for good reason. These are one of the closer to stock wheels offered in an 18". That said, the offset is still very high from stock, and on a 265/40/18 tire you are moving the centerline of the wheel almost half an inch towards the car. If I wanted a daily tire setup this would be the route I would take, but for performance I prefer to stick to a >+50 offset.
NSX | $600-$650/w 19.2lb +55 Forged - These are in the middle of the price range, the lightest and closest to the stock of the 19" options. If you really wanted to stay with a 20" you can also do that at a bit more cost. In my mind these are the best none custom option. The +55 offset is as close as you'll find to stock, and the weight is very good for a 19" wheel.
FK2 Type R | 19" $490/w +shipping ~26lbs +60 Cast - These are a great option if you want to drop to a 19" wheel and keep the stock offset. That said, they are not forged, and are fairly heavy for what they are. I think there are better options, but if you want to keep that stock look they are awesome.
OZ ULTRALEGGERA HLT | 19" $440/w 22lbs +53 Cast - These are currently on closeout at Tirerack so I don't know the availability. That said I think the Motegi's are a better option as they are only slightly heavier (0.4lb) but almost half the cost.
Motegi | $260/w 22.4lb +53 Cast - These are the "budget" NSX wheels. Roughly half the cost but they are a bit heavier. These are a great budget option with the only compromise being the weight, and a tiny offset difference than the NSX.
Custom | $1200+/w 18+lb +60 Forged - There are tons of options for custom wheels designed to hit your perfect numbers. That said for most of us, the expense if too large, and one of the above options is better.
Other - There are obviously a ton of other options that are less popular, or have much bigger compromises and are not as close to stock. I would only really branch out if you aren't going for that "stock" feel.