trucke

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR; 2022 Civic Si; 1987 Corolla FX16 GT-S
Country flag
I leave the car running and pop the hood. I run the A/C to cool me when I'm in the car waiting to move to the start. No heating issues at Bristol, but temps have only been in the 80's. I use a sprayer on the tires.
Sponsored

David Price

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Here is my current autocross DS setup for my 2019 CTR:
Karcepts 5 hole set at full stiff, 265/19 71Rs, and racing harness with no other mods. I used to spin out when I moved from an ASP Boxster S to the CTR even with full soft rear sway bar (RSB). I have been playing with RSB settings and tire pressures and have spent the last season and a half learning how to drive the CTR. This includes a test and tune at which I went from full soft to full hard RSB with constant tire pressures. Full stiff was by far the best. I have done most testing with long hold in +R mode; stability control fully off setting. Other settings cause weird braking effects. Front pressures are 31 psi front and 33 rear. The rears don't heat up much even on a hot day, but the fronts need spraying after several runs to cool them down. Yes the rear comes around, but is easily controllable by gentle application of throttle. Evidently, on a recent long decreasing radius sweeper (starting at about 50 mph) the inside rear lifted and stayed up for more than 100 feet (I was told). I really like the handling. Sometimes I can use the loose rear to position the car and to miss cones with the rear end. I plan on testing weight shifting methods (and my brain) at the Great River Region test and tune next Saturday. I am not usually the fastest PAXer, but do OK considering I am 67!
Honda Civic 10th gen D-Street Type R AutoX info sharing 1599241177206

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 CRX Si. 91 STD Hatch. 17 CTR. 18 CTR.
Country flag
Loose is faster. I'm not that driver. But I do enjoy not being the fastest ??

jrow3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2003 4Runner
Country flag
Was able to get out to Cow Palace this weekend for some Autocross with the Golden Gate Lotus Club. Overall took 3rd in raw time, and I believe 3rd in pax (still waiting for indexed results to be posted).

Felt really happy with the balance of the car, and was very happy with the results this being my 5th event in the Type R. Was able to run three 37.0xx and two 36.8xx in the morning but felt like a 36.5 was possible with a little bit of clean up near the start. Afternoon fun runs managed three 36.8xx, a 36.6xx and hit my 36.5 target with a 36.465!

The start on this was pretty tight, which I think actually helped as I definitely need to work on my starts after feeling that was my biggest loss of time in the last few events.

Current Setup:
19" NSX Wheels
265/35/19 RE-71R
31/33 Front/Rear PSI
Karcepts 4 hole RSB set to 3/2
Borla catback exhaust

(New GoPro mount that doesn't wiggle like crazy is in the mail so hopefully future videos don't look like you're drunk)

Edit:
Ended up 2nd in PAX!!!

Honda Civic 10th gen D-Street Type R AutoX info sharing Capture.PNG

Last edited:

David Price

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Was able to get out to Cow Palace this weekend for some Autocross with the Golden Gate Lotus Club. Overall took 3rd in raw time, and I believe 3rd in pax (still waiting for indexed results to be posted).

Felt really happy with the balance of the car, and was very happy with the results this being my 5th event in the Type R. Was able to run three 37.0xx and two 36.8xx in the morning but felt like a 36.5 was possible with a little bit of clean up near the start. Afternoon fun runs managed three 36.8xx, a 36.6xx and hit my 36.5 target with a 36.465!

The start on this was pretty tight, which I think actually helped as I definitely need to work on my starts after feeling that was my biggest loss of time in the last few events.

Current Setup:
19" NSX Wheels
265/35/19 RE-71R
31/33 Front/Rear PSI
Karcepts 4 hole RSB set to 3/2
Borla catback exhaust

(New GoPro mount that doesn't wiggle like crazy is in the mail so hopefully future videos don't look like your drunk)
Nice run! It may have been quicker to shift going into the first left while you were braking. Acceleration would have still been good due to less wheel spin and you wouldn't have lost the time for the shift in the straight. Looking at Solo Storm after some of my runs it is easy to see the time lost on shifting if it is done on a straight.

Mcsinc

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 S2000, 2018 CTR CW CTR
Country flag
For those running 265/35/19, What is the rationale for choosing This over 255/35/19? Taller = faster for any given rpm? Taller sidewall = more flex. Also, weight on bridge stones website says the 255/35 @ 22 lb vs 265/35 @ 27 lb. 22 seems incorrect compared to the other 19” re71s... I’m sure someone out there has weighed both ...

AjHawk

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
I run the 265 because I want the extra MPH at the top of 2nd gear, and I want the most tread width possible. Because it’s an RE71 with a stiff sidewall, it still feels responsive. I would not do the same with a BFG Rival.
Also, my TR screen shows the weights as 26 and 27 respectively.

jrow3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I also went with 265, but mostly for the extra grip. The weight is minimal, and a few others have commented that 275/285 actually starts to muddle the feedback and they prefer the 265.

I guess theoretically the 265 also has a higher top speed, though that didn't play into my decision even though I do often find myself topping out 2nd, but not having enough room for 3rd.

Mcsinc

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 S2000, 2018 CTR CW CTR
Country flag
Thanks for the info. Yes I see on the TR website that the 255 is 26 not the 22 listed on the Bridgestone site. I wish they were only 22! Lol

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Had a fantastic outing today. Picture perfect weather, finished 3rd overall PAX out of 57 drivers and won Novice again. I actually got booted from Novice from this point forward since I’m now 4/4 on wins. The car just keeps getting better and better to drive. I have no complaints. Still on the factory RSB as well.

Geezer

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
New R owner, irregular autocrosser. Have a stock 2020 with 1200 miles. I haven’t ran an event in years. Haven’t autoxed fwd in 15 years. First event with the car came in second in class and 6th in pax. Lost by .28 to the class winner who is a former class champion driving a BRZ with spec shocks swaybar tires etc. The R is super easy and fun to drive. Looking forward to doing more events with it. Not planning on doing any mods beyond a stock class wheel tire setup and possibly a sway bar. I did notice the car could use a little more rotation. Even the stock Contis are very capable. Honda really knocked it out of the park with this car.

jrow3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Posted this in another thread and figured I would cross post here as well.

Wheel options for Autocross:

SCCA Solo Rules 2020 said:
Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following:
A. It is the same width as standard and as installed it does not have an offset more than ±7.00 mm (±0.275”) from a standard wheel for the car. The resultant change in track dimensions is allowed.
B. Wheel (rim) diameter may be increased or decreased 1” from the standard part. This change may be applied to the front, rear, or both axles.
Stock Type R wheels are 8.5" wide, 20" diameter have a +60mm offset, and come in at 29.1lbs.

That leaves us with these options.

LE Type R | 20" $1300/w est23.6lb +60 - These are the newest and (in my opinion) worst option here. They are by far the most expensive (1300$) and are still pretty heavy. Also being a 20" wheel there is little benefit to going this route.
Tire Rack Forged ONE | 19" $680/w 20.3lb +53 - I have not heard much around these wheels, but they seem to be a Motegi/NSX competitor. That said they are more expensive than the NSX wheel and heavier. I would only look at this option if you are unable to find NSX wheels.
NSX | 19" $630-$650/w 19.2lb +55 - These are the "best" option ignoring cost. They have the closest offset to stock and are the lightest wheels by a solid amount. The really only downside is cost or availability.
FK2 Type R | 19" $490/w +shipping ~26lbs +60 - These are pretty expensive for what they are, but cheaper than the NSX wheels and give you that stock look.
Motegi | 19" $260/w 22.4lb +53 - These are the "budget" NSX wheels. Roughly half the cost but they are a bit heavier. These are a great budget option with the only compromise being the weight, and a tiny offset difference to the NSX. From a $/performance ratio thse are the best option.

I've personally gone with the NSX wheels, as the cost was not a huge factor to me, since I actually prefer the cleaner look of the NSX wheel to the Motegi, and intend to use these as DD wheels eventually.

Last edited:

lundgrenj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Just confirming, the 265/35/19 RE-71R doesn't rub on 19'' rims at 53mm offset? No fender rolling required to make that fit over the 255/35/19 ?

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2005 S2000, 1993 EG, 1989 EF Si
Country flag
Correct, no issues.

jrow3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just confirming, the 265/35/19 RE-71R doesn't rub on 19'' rims at 53mm offset? No fender rolling required to make that fit over the 255/35/19 ?
Correct, I believe people have run up to 285 without issue.
Sponsored