D-Street Type R AutoX info sharing

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Hello everyone. Just found this thread today. Great information! I have a 2019 CW CTR that I picked up new on Valentines Day (under MSRP). This is not a DD, but my autocross toy. I'll be installing the Karcepts rear sway bar this weekend. Glad you offered a setting to start for me. Have the pins pulled up front and did a string alignment (shown on a thread on this forum). Running Motegi MR924's with RE71's (245 square setup). I've been autocrossing FWD for a few decades and the Type R fits my style. Here is a clip from the first outing at Bristol last month. Still getting used to this car.

trucke at Bristol

Leaving the start line, same run

Now to find the GoPro roof cam footage.
I have the same motegi wheels with 255 square. Let me know what you settle on for pressures. I’m think about starting at 32-33 front and 34 rear. I’m not running an aftermarket sway bar.
Sponsored

AjHawk

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
I just realized that I never introduced myself in this forum. My name is AJ and I'm from the Pittsburgh area. I purchased my CTR last Labor Day and have been running it locally at the Steel Cities Region this year. I attended my first Tour in the car a couple weeks ago at the Bristol Champ and was lucky enough to also get my first win. All of the time spent learning and trying to better myself as a driver is finally paying off I guess. I don't plan to attend any more Tour's/Pro's this season, but most likely will again next year. Congrats to @Speed9117 for keeping up the CTR's winning DS streak!

trucke

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR; 2022 Civic Si; 1987 Corolla FX16 GT-S
Country flag
I have the same motegi wheels with 255 square. Let me know what you settle on for pressures. I’m think about starting at 32-33 front and 34 rear. I’m not running an aftermarket sway bar.
You're in the ballpark. Fronts seem to like about 34 better than 32. They do not roll onto the sidewall as much, but my times were quicker. Not sure on the rear as I just mounted the bar. Was testing 34-38 and have not settled on anything yet.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Second ever autoX was today. This was my first event on brand new RE-71R’s. Short multi-lap course. I got raw timed by a 2017 WRX with an experienced driver by 1.4 seconds on a 66-68 second course. Won novice again but got 4th overall in PAX. This is an improvement from my first event, but I’m bothered by getting whipped by the WRX so badly. He was also on RE-71R’s.

He was able to run the majority of the course in first gear. I’ve found first gear useless except for launch in the CTR.I know I’m new and I have a lot to learn, but is anybody else shifting in and out of first during runs?

Maybe I’m just over-driving the car and the tires. It was 90 for the AM runs and 93 for the PM. Fastest times were AM for me. I ran 32 psi front and 34 rear measured pre AM session.

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2005 S2000, 1993 EG, 1989 EF Si
Country flag
Second ever autoX was today. This was my first event on brand new RE-71R’s. Short multi-lap course. I got raw timed by a 2017 WRX with an experienced driver by 1.4 seconds on a 66-68 second course. Won novice again but got 4th overall in PAX. This is an improvement from my first event, but I’m bothered by getting whipped by the WRX so badly. He was also on RE-71R’s.

He was able to run the majority of the course in first gear. I’ve found first gear useless except for launch in the CTR.I know I’m new and I have a lot to learn, but is anybody else shifting in and out of first during runs?

Maybe I’m just over-driving the car and the tires. It was 90 for the AM runs and 93 for the PM. Fastest times were AM for me. I ran 32 psi front and 34 rear measured pre AM session.
A course that can be run in first gear is probably not a great benchmark for comparison and if it's you're second autocross ever, I would focus more on seeing improvement in your own times than anything else.

Shifting up/down from second is typically not worth it (as I had to remind myself this weekend).

trucke

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ditto what Speed 9117 said. 1st gear is not a great course, but it is better than nothing when only a small lot is available. Comparing your times to someone with more experience will only lead to disappointment. Shifting up and down is a waste of time and is very hard on your equipment. I bet you where spinning tires every time you where in 1st gear.

We had an autocross yesterday. A well designed course which some might consider to have slow turns. All second gear. There was another guy in a Type R so it was fun to watch him. He has some track experience and autocross experience. His time was 38.516. Mine was 36.504. A 2.0 second spread is huge on an under 40ish second course. Apparently my 36 years of autocrossing experience gave me bit of on edge.

Last edited:

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Hypothetical question... You know its going to rain for the upcoming autocross event. Heavy downpours. You have 2 sets of tires available, worn down to the tread indicators stock contis or a full tread life set of 255/30R20 all season tires. Which do you run?

Yes I know... Buy real autocross tires. but until then this is what I'm stuck with.

trucke

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hypothetical question... You know its going to rain for the upcoming autocross event. Heavy downpours. You have 2 sets of tires available, worn down to the tread indicators stock contis or a full tread life set of 255/30R20 all season tires. Which do you run?

Yes I know... Buy real autocross tires. but until then this is what I'm stuck with.

In a heavy downpour you will need to channel the water away from the tread. If it's just wet, tread compound comes more into play.

Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2011 BMW M3
Country flag

Both sound miserable. I'd probably use the Conti's as there may be a chance of drying conditions but the all seasons will suck in any condition. Just sayin'

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If its wet though, like standing water wet, all season will probably work better.

We had a season opening up a year back, the car that ended up winning pax was a GTI on stock A/S because it was <45F and it never stopped raining the entire day....

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 CRX Si. 91 STD Hatch. 17 CTR. 18 CTR.
Country flag
Has anyone else put on the new Karcepts arms (4 holes instead of 5) and noticed a difference? I have. Sites where I would run a certain setup now I have to set it up for less because what it should equal in the new arm really doesn't imo anyway. Still love the bar.

After my experience in Moultrie I will have autocross insurance going forward. Man, that could have been a big loss. I will be going with Lockton.

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 CRX Si. 91 STD Hatch. 17 CTR. 18 CTR.
Country flag
Also, is anyone on the new Falken tires yet? The one's SSC (SCCA Solo Spec Coupe) are now using?

trucke

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just recently added the Karcepts rear sway bar. I set it up at 3/3 but got snap oversteer followed by the nannies slapping me with understeer. Should not get any snap oversteer, so I ended up with the same question about stiffness.
Here is the comparison of the original (5 holes) and new beefier design (4 holes). All units are in lbs/in

Original (5 hole) Revised (4 hole)
Hole 1/1____ 795 ___ 814
Hole 1/2____ 859___ 899
Hole 2/2___ 931 ___ 997
Hole 2/3___ 1,016___ 1,119
Hole 3/3___ 1,113___ 1,265
Hole 3/4___ 1,229___ 1,450
Hole 4/4___ 1,365___ 1,698
Hole 4/5___ 1,529___ n/a
Hole 5/5___ 1,725___ n/a

Mike Leeder reports a 3/3 set-up with the 5 hole unit or 1,113 lb/in. This equates to 2/3 on the new one at 1,119 lbs/in. So I set mine at 2/3 and went autocrossing yesterday. Shazam! This is perfect! You can feel the back end rotating in a controlled manner. The result was a win in D Street by a bit of a margin. The first two runs were tried by turning off the electonic's using the pedal dance. The car felt really unstable and did not inspire the confidence to push it. So I went back to +R with stability control fully off for the last 3 runs. Oh, and this course had two sections with 3rd gear. It was scary fast!

Honda Civic 10th gen D-Street Type R AutoX info sharing 1596463871220
Sponsored