SlowAP2

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI, 04 S2K,
Country flag
intercoolers arent allowed in STU either. Only STH allows them afaik which the R doesnt get classed to.
Sponsored

SlowAP2

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI, 04 S2K,
Country flag
I think it has to do with STH being an all turbo car class and STU is not. All you can do is write letters in asking for it to be changed.

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 Integra aspec MT
Country flag
I think it has to do with STH being an all turbo car class and STU is not. All you can do is write letters in asking for it to be changed.
You have this exactly right.

It’s stupid and I have written my letter already.

Stu has a mis if turbo and boosted cars. It allowing intercoolers helps keep the balance of performance or so their thought is. I mean a v8 won the class this year!!

Banannie

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 S2K CR delete
Country flag
LOL, yeah nope...
(Unofficially, of course)

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got some interesting running today, though ended the day in kind of a down note....

Ran some tests with the pedal dance vs +R and Hold method of disabling VSC. Small local lot, asphalt, low 60s and damp to wet. Running on the same set of RE71Rs from nats but flipped before this event. Was hoping at least it was gonna be dry but unfortunately not the case. But I think the wet running actually helped showcasing what was happening. Knowing it was gonna be wet I put the Karcepts to full soft and dropped pressure to about 30/28. Big takeaway is the car definitely is doing some weird thing with the AHA enabled in the +R and hold method. The course was tight with some interesting decreasing radius corner entry and some really tight slalom entry. If you try to trail brake or doing some mid corner adjustment on the brake and the car will try to "help" and it generates a ton of yaw and you are basically drifting. Only way to avoid it is basically to straighten the wheel out then brake. Doing the pedal dance basically eliminates this behavior. The car is still pretty free but it doesn't do it as unnaturally. This surface is pretty low grip to start with and the wet doesn't help so it probably made the behavior differences much more pronounce, I feel like if it were dry concrete and warm day you are gonna be much closer to the saturation point of tire limit that the effect might not be as obvious. Also due to the condition and course I really can't draw any meaningful comparison if the shock mode differences(+R v Sport) doing the 2 method counts for anything, I think the AHA behavior dominates this experiment today. I kinda prefer the pedal dance under this condition as the car to me is more predictable. Ken however noted he thinks the car has worse power down traction issue(more inside wheel spin) on corner exit when we are in the pedal dance mode vs +R and Hold. The previous explanation on AHA does say that it works on both axle so I think there is some merit to maybe AHA is also trying to enhance the LSD action. Our best time of the day was set in pedal dance mode but it was really not a true A-B-A test. I do think if you drive the car in one mode vs the other constantly you may arrive at very different setup(bar/alignment) as I feel like you might go more aggressive(on dry at least) with pedal dance, because the car isn't trying to artificially loosen itself up. And certainly lends merit to the more exaggerated brake wear.

We ended up 7th/8th on Pax out of 141 despite the fact that the entire first heat ran in the dry condition and we ran in the 4th heat when it was definitely not dry...so the car was doing ok....

Comes time to pack up and go home though I got 2 more lugnuts seized on the wheel studs. I had one did this at Nats on Thursday Evening and was able to replace it with parts from O'Reily's...being wet and disgusting and this time on a front I just jammed them back on and torqued the other 3 so I can drive the car to a friend's and borrowed another car. Ordering a set of replacement studs and new lugnuts now....At least per the factory service manual, you don't need to remove the hubs to replace the lugnuts on the Type R at all...on either axle...

Ink.bottle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R - Championship White
Country flag
Got some interesting running today, though ended the day in kind of a down note....

Ran some tests with the pedal dance vs +R and Hold method of disabling VSC. Small local lot, asphalt, low 60s and damp to wet. Running on the same set of RE71Rs from nats but flipped before this event. Was hoping at least it was gonna be dry but unfortunately not the case. But I think the wet running actually helped showcasing what was happening. Knowing it was gonna be wet I put the Karcepts to full soft and dropped pressure to about 30/28. Big takeaway is the car definitely is doing some weird thing with the AHA enabled in the +R and hold method. The course was tight with some interesting decreasing radius corner entry and some really tight slalom entry. If you try to trail brake or doing some mid corner adjustment on the brake and the car will try to "help" and it generates a ton of yaw and you are basically drifting. Only way to avoid it is basically to straighten the wheel out then brake. Doing the pedal dance basically eliminates this behavior. The car is still pretty free but it doesn't do it as unnaturally. This surface is pretty low grip to start with and the wet doesn't help so it probably made the behavior differences much more pronounce, I feel like if it were dry concrete and warm day you are gonna be much closer to the saturation point of tire limit that the effect might not be as obvious. Also due to the condition and course I really can't draw any meaningful comparison if the shock mode differences(+R v Sport) doing the 2 method counts for anything, I think the AHA behavior dominates this experiment today. I kinda prefer the pedal dance under this condition as the car to me is more predictable. Ken however noted he thinks the car has worse power down traction issue(more inside wheel spin) on corner exit when we are in the pedal dance mode vs +R and Hold. The previous explanation on AHA does say that it works on both axle so I think there is some merit to maybe AHA is also trying to enhance the LSD action. Our best time of the day was set in pedal dance mode but it was really not a true A-B-A test. I do think if you drive the car in one mode vs the other constantly you may arrive at very different setup(bar/alignment) as I feel like you might go more aggressive(on dry at least) with pedal dance, because the car isn't trying to artificially loosen itself up. And certainly lends merit to the more exaggerated brake wear.

We ended up 7th/8th on Pax out of 141 despite the fact that the entire first heat ran in the dry condition and we ran in the 4th heat when it was definitely not dry...so the car was doing ok....

Comes time to pack up and go home though I got 2 more lugnuts seized on the wheel studs. I had one did this at Nats on Thursday Evening and was able to replace it with parts from O'Reily's...being wet and disgusting and this time on a front I just jammed them back on and torqued the other 3 so I can drive the car to a friend's and borrowed another car. Ordering a set of replacement studs and new lugnuts now....At least per the factory service manual, you don't need to remove the hubs to replace the lugnuts on the Type R at all...on either axle...
How do you feel with the R in DS? Is it competitive or too competitive?

Banannie

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Interesting! In the wet I never run R mode anyway - suspension too stiff and everything's a little too twitchy with the steering / throttle mapping. The only time I've pedal danced my Type R is in the wet. I'd be really interested in a concrete / warm / dry A-B-A test on this.

AjHawk

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
Alright guys, I have a tire/wheel question. It seems to be that the RE71R's in 265 square are the current go-to. I had a local friend selling takeoff 90% remaining 285/35/19's. I brought them back to my shop and mounted them up on the Motegi MR924. They do not look nearly as pinched as I would of expected. Also, do not rub anywhere. 9th gen Si's running 245's on a 7" are much worse looking than this. So on to my question...

Why is everyone running the 265's over the 285's?
Because of the Pinch? Contact patch? Won't heat up? Thought it would rub? Changes speedo/ratio?

I want some input before I order two more 285's instead of four 265's. Thank you in advance for any input!

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 Integra aspec MT
Country flag
265 for me is feel. maybe some gearing as well. They heat up fast, good response, cool down quick. they are ready to go run 1, not by run 3.

plus for me i wanted tires i could rotate front to year each event and that a shop wont want to kill me after them mounting them.

Banannie

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I tried 285s (square). They lasted one event and I pulled them off and sold them. One of the awesome things about these cars is the quick turn in / responsiveness. The 285s stole a lot of that. Also, in Seattle, it was nearly impossible to get heat in the rears...

AjHawk

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
Thank you guys! I appreciate the feedback and I'm leaning towards the 265's now.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think 285s will be more of a PITA to mount. Granted 265 were not easy at all....
Sponsored