Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2005 S2000, 1993 EG, 1989 EF Si
Country flag
Yeah 4 sets of autocross wheels more or less

1 "Nationals" set
1 set with newer tires for locals
1 set with older tires for local to burn up
1 set of conti ECS for heavy rain - never used them last year so I've been using them as DD wheels instead of OEM
Sponsored

StevenMatchett

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I ran my first set of 660s for 160 runs and only swapped them for nats they still had a ton of life left on them. Granted they were not likely on the same pace. I still have my nat set, but i am not driving the car that much this year and being playing with SSC.

I would like to drive some different combos of tires. I have seen the Kumho up front and yok rears doing a ton of work in GS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R 19
Country flag
I ran my first set of 660s for 160 runs and only swapped them for nats they still had a ton of life left on them. Granted they were not likely on the same pace. I still have my nat set, but i am not driving the car that much this year and being playing with SSC.

I would like to drive some different combos of tires. I have seen the Kumho up front and yok rears doing a ton of work in GS
Did you build a SSC car? That is awesome, looks like a lot of fun. Hyper competitive.

Bob_L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Civic Type-R
Country flag
Man, it was HOT at the autocross event yesterday - LogR showed IATs were over 150 degrees. I had the fan running full blast with the AC off, which made the interior nice and miserable. My wife could only take two runs (ridealong) then bailed. She spent the rest of the day under our shade-thing while I alternated my misery between driving and running after cones.

On a different note I found out what having too much power can do. As we all know, unless you have a dedicated autocross car, everything is a balance between what you want for the road and what you can do to maintain a particular class.

After a year or so of driving in D-street I've accepted that I'm not a competitive driver, plus D-street is super competitive in my area. As a result, I finally decided to add those mods I'd been putting off. That means I'm no longer in DS but in STU instead.

Back to that side effect of "too much power" I mentioned above: With the new downpipe, frontpipe, intercooler and tune, I'm making a fair bit more power than when I was stock. The result is that I'm now spinning my wheels through most phases of the course; even the straightaways! The mods are definitely a hoot in 3rd and 4th gear, but they're a detriment in 2nd gear where you spend all your time on an autocross course. To reduce wheel spin, I've found that I can't floor the accelerator anymore, so driving is now a balancing act between not enough gas (too slow!) and too much (wheel spin!). This is with RT660's on MR924s. Even though I'll stay in STU, I might end up flashing the ECU back to stock for autocross, just to cut down on wheel spin. That or I may switch to a basemap and turn down the throttle mappings a bit.

Lprmesia

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pittsburghautocross.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 GR86 & '20 Veloster N PP; formerly '21 Type R
Country flag
Lessons learned from the Finger Lakes Tour:

(1) These transmissions are dumb. Yet another one starting to have pop out issues in 2nd.
(2) Also, don't flip the Falkens before a national event and except the car to cooperate.
(3) Also, don't run AX6 pads on these cars for autocross despite them being an autocross pad. Just an instant ABS trigger and 0 modulation - which is crazy because I've run them on other cars and they've worked great, but the braking force is too much on the Type R. In just 2 turns I lost 8 tenths of a second according to the data from the car prematurely triggering ABS and skittering/plowing off line. Even tried running Yoks up front which tend to be more forgiving than the Falkens and still had the same challenges.

I still think the Type R is more competitive than the new twin (GR86/BRZ) having owned both, but I know of probably at least a dozen cars with the 2nd gear pop out issue. It's insane.

StevenMatchett

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Lessons learned from the Finger Lakes Tour:

(1) These transmissions are dumb. Yet another one starting to have pop out issues in 2nd.
(2) Also, don't flip the Falkens before a national event and except the car to cooperate.
(3) Also, don't run AX6 pads on these cars for autocross despite them being an autocross pad. Just an instant ABS trigger and 0 modulation - which is crazy because I've run them on other cars and they've worked great, but the braking force is too much on the Type R. In just 2 turns I lost 8 tenths of a second according to the data from the car prematurely triggering ABS and skittering/plowing off line. Even tried running Yoks up front which tend to be more forgiving than the Falkens and still had the same challenges.

I still think the Type R is more competitive than the new twin (GR86/BRZ) having owned both, but I know of probably at least a dozen cars with the 2nd gear pop out issue. It's insane.
Sucks man, this is one of the main reasons I didn't want to autox the car this year. I like it too much as my daily. I still think the stock pads are more than adequate in terms of brake modulation and feel. I also had pretty good results the event after flipping my 660s, granted it was CPR and the cheese grader of a lot and like evened them out

trucke

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR; 2022 Civic Si; 1987 Corolla FX16 GT-S
Country flag
Blah,blah,blah! I still expect you to kick my @$$ this Sunday at Bristol. It will be fun though!

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R 19
Country flag
I haven't had 2nd gear pop out, but sometimes it will grind going into 2, if I am turning in/in it at the same time as shifting. Right now I make sure the car is ready for the 2nd shift, instead of slamming it in there super fast. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I run HP+(purely based off what I ran on my old M3) and I rarely run into ABS, so maybe I am not braking hard enough.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R 19
Country flag
Man, it was HOT at the autocross event yesterday - LogR showed IATs were over 150 degrees. I had the fan running full blast with the AC off, which made the interior nice and miserable. My wife could only take two runs (ridealong) then bailed. She spent the rest of the day under our shade-thing while I alternated my misery between driving and running after cones.

On a different note I found out what having too much power can do. As we all know, unless you have a dedicated autocross car, everything is a balance between what you want for the road and what you can do to maintain a particular class.

After a year or so of driving in D-street I've accepted that I'm not a competitive driver, plus D-street is super competitive in my area. As a result, I finally decided to add those mods I'd been putting off. That means I'm no longer in DS but in STU instead.

Back to that side effect of "too much power" I mentioned above: With the new downpipe, frontpipe, intercooler and tune, I'm making a fair bit more power than when I was stock. The result is that I'm now spinning my wheels through most phases of the course; even the straightaways! The mods are definitely a hoot in 3rd and 4th gear, but they're a detriment in 2nd gear where you spend all your time on an autocross course. To reduce wheel spin, I've found that I can't floor the accelerator anymore, so driving is now a balancing act between not enough gas (too slow!) and too much (wheel spin!). This is with RT660's on MR924s. Even though I'll stay in STU, I might end up flashing the ECU back to stock for autocross, just to cut down on wheel spin. That or I may switch to a basemap and turn down the throttle mappings a bit.
Did you look at IATs with the AC on and off? And with heat on and off? I couldn't really see much a difference when I was logging it while sitting there, and if it did raise, it was high for a few tenths as I took off. Just curious is all.

jrow3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2003 4Runner
Country flag
Had my buddy come out to his second autocross event (though many karting and track days), and first in the CTR. Really cool comparison to see him vs myself with 2 years of autox experience, vs Alex with 10+ years of nationals level performance.

I really need to work on my starts, good half a second right there lost to Alex.

Sponsored