jrow3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2003 4Runner
Country flag
Another cool side by side with myself and Alex. I get a better start than him, and find myself quicker in the tighter sections of the course, but he walks away from me on the big sweepers carrying way more speed into them, and holding that speed longer than I do. Need to work on being able to carry more speed into those big sweepers. Final times were a 63.3 vs a 62.6.

Sponsored

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Just did a practice session this weekend and got some good seat time in. Best part was for our area, they were now allowing passengers (they mightve before this event too but this was my first).

It was pretty refreshing to get to pick peoples brains and see how they run. There were a total of 6 CTRs including mine and I got to ride with the fastest guy there and the difference in driving is night and day haha.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
just signed up for another autox nexts saturday, these are "practice" events where you can get upwards of two dozen runs in. The seat time is great.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
For the sake of discussion, Id love to pick your guy's brains on what it takes to drive these cars fast. I know there are a handful of very fast drivers here that im sure would do well regardless of platform.

What is some good advice that you guys might have for people looking to improve with the CTR that you have found helpful and really try to stick to?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R 19
Country flag
I signed up for my first nationals this year, so see you all there I guess. Someone is going to lend me a Karcepts bar for the event, and I am going to be running NSX wheels with 275.35.19 yokohamas...we will see if those jelly sidewalls can get me around the concrete.

My last event, timing got all jacked up, so probably 6th in indexed class, not sure about overall or pax overall.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Nice Peter, was that from Sunday?

Had a great time riding with you and getting tips. GL at Nats man!

Lprmesia

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pittsburghautocross.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 GR86 & '20 Veloster N PP; formerly '21 Type R
Country flag
For the sake of discussion, Id love to pick your guy's brains on what it takes to drive these cars fast. I know there are a handful of very fast drivers here that im sure would do well regardless of platform.

What is some good advice that you guys might have for people looking to improve with the CTR that you have found helpful and really try to stick to?
In terms of finding "tricks" to unlock speed in the Type R, I don't think there's really some hidden magic out there. It's a pretty well balanced car out of the gate, factor that in with that most cars drive relatively the same regardless. Most of the speed is about driving the right lines and execution - a lot of which comes from controlling weight transfer. Sure, certain cars might have different steering racks or power delivery or other mechanisms that convert your inputs into weight transfer - but that's mostly it. It doesn't do much differently than other FWD platforms.

Attend an autocross school like Starting Line, Evolution, or Apex PDS. Read and do the paid version of Beyond Seat Time. Even Evo instructors will sometimes attend Evo schools - you're never too fast to learn from someone. Share co-drives and/or ride-alongs with people. Do you run data and video? If not, do it!

You're already an autocrosser so you should be used to making excuses. Those excuses are you identifying what to fix. Did you lose because of a cone? Good - figure out why you're hitting them. Did you overdrive an element and lose time there? Did you spike the brakes too early/much and scrub all of your entry speed? Those are things you can fix.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag

Do you have a GoPro or other camera setup? Point it so it gets a view of both the windshield and your hands, then post your video here.

The car doesn't need much prep to be a competitive DS car. Wheels, tires, alignment and rear sway bar is really all you need.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Do you have a GoPro or other camera setup? Point it so it gets a view of both the windshield and your hands, then post your video here.

The car doesn't need much prep to be a competitive DS car. Wheels, tires, alignment and rear sway bar is really all you need.
I sadly do not have a go pro, only a dash cam.

Im in SMF because of my mods, truthfully im ok with that. I know it probably makes the learning curve steeper, and im in a class with very fast cars, but while it would be fun to be competitive, im more interested in learning the correct technique and having fun. If being fast comes from that its icing on the cake for me!

Let me see what I can do about the next event though!

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
In terms of finding "tricks" to unlock speed in the Type R, I don't think there's really some hidden magic out there. It's a pretty well balanced car out of the gate, factor that in with that most cars drive relatively the same regardless. Most of the speed is about driving the right lines and execution - a lot of which comes from controlling weight transfer. Sure, certain cars might have different steering racks or power delivery or other mechanisms that convert your inputs into weight transfer - but that's mostly it. It doesn't do much differently than other FWD platforms.

Attend an autocross school like Starting Line, Evolution, or Apex PDS. Read and do the paid version of Beyond Seat Time. Even Evo instructors will sometimes attend Evo schools - you're never too fast to learn from someone. Share co-drives and/or ride-alongs with people. Do you run data and video? If not, do it!

You're already an autocrosser so you should be used to making excuses. Those excuses are you identifying what to fix. Did you lose because of a cone? Good - figure out why you're hitting them. Did you overdrive an element and lose time there? Did you spike the brakes too early/much and scrub all of your entry speed? Those are things you can fix.

Thanks for the response Alex, I will look into the driving schools. I think a lot of it is going to be learning good techniques and getting rid of some bad habits and im sure it will help me improve a ton. I like to think that I get a little better, or learn something new with each event at the very least. Having a blast out there though.