D-Street Type R AutoX info sharing

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 CRX Si. 91 STD Hatch. 17 CTR. 18 CTR.
Country flag
We live by a farm, I'm okay with flies being killed.

The Karcept bar, is that the 4 or 5 hole arms?
Sponsored

trucke

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR; 2022 Civic Si; 1987 Corolla FX16 GT-S
Country flag
Anyone have any further issues with 2nd gear pop outs? My car has gotten worse to the point where my co-driver and I only got one pop out free run each at our last event. Pretty frustrating trying to drive the car in anger when worried about the car popping out of gear.

We are wondering if it is related to slop in the motor mounts, shifter cables/bushings or something else. From what I can tell it feels the same as if you put a little bit of pressure on the shifter itself when driving and lift off the gas... It just slides right out of gear. It doesn't seem like at problem with the transmission itself.
No problems on mine. 2 drivers mostly autocross. But car only has 6,000 miles on it.

StevenMatchett

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Anyone have any further issues with 2nd gear pop outs? My car has gotten worse to the point where my co-driver and I only got one pop out free run each at our last event. Pretty frustrating trying to drive the car in anger when worried about the car popping out of gear.

We are wondering if it is related to slop in the motor mounts, shifter cables/bushings or something else. From what I can tell it feels the same as if you put a little bit of pressure on the shifter itself when driving and lift off the gas... It just slides right out of gear. It doesn't seem like at problem with the transmission itself.
I use to have the same problem in my Subaru. Do you have a weighted shift knob by chance?

Mcsinc

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 S2000, 2018 CTR CW CTR
Country flag
What do you guys do to cool the car between runs? Water spray the intercooler/rad? Tires too?

atuocross on Sunday, and it’s supposed to be upwards of 108*F

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 CRX Si. 91 STD Hatch. 17 CTR. 18 CTR.
Country flag
@krazykiwi care to share the information you shared with me on how the gear locks into place and under a heavy load a lift could allow it to unlock and pop out. You were more technical in the explanation than me ?

StevenMatchett

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
What do you guys do to cool the car between runs? Water spray the intercooler/rad? Tires too?

atuocross on Sunday, and it’s supposed to be upwards of 108*F
108 that sounds not fun. Spraying the intercool helps a lot. Also try to keep the front tires happy and spray them too.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I had a great outing today! Second in PAX which is my best performance this year. I ran significantly lower tire pressures in my RE-71R’s this time. 29 hot up front and 33 hot in rear. Worked great. Rollover wasn’t too bad. We had an Alfa Romeo 4C show up today. That’s not a great autocross car. Too wide. Really pretty though.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
+1 on spraying intercooler, and tires. Turning on heat (if you can stand it) or AC, both seem to help, as well as popping hood to let some of that heat escape.

It was about 90* and humid here today. Doing the above (we went with AC), car was fine. Co-driver and I were about a tenth apart today. Watching video confirms I need to slow down my hands a bunch. Still a little pushy. Running about 34F/44R for rotation with stock bar.

Mcsinc

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 S2000, 2018 CTR CW CTR
Country flag
Scorcher today - 104*F. Kept spraying front tires and intercooler, AC on full blast. Seemed to work pretty good — thanks for the tips. Was able to snag top pax and 2nd FTD.

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2005 S2000, 1993 EG, 1989 EF Si
Country flag
+1 on spraying intercooler, and tires. Turning on heat (if you can stand it) or AC, both seem to help, as well as popping hood to let some of that heat escape.

It was about 90* and humid here today. Doing the above (we went with AC), car was fine. Co-driver and I were about a tenth apart today. Watching video confirms I need to slow down my hands a bunch. Still a little pushy. Running about 34F/44R for rotation with stock bar.
Wouldn't having the AC on actually put more load on the engine? Either way, we managed this weekend in 105* temps by spraying the intercooler and keeping the hood open between runs. Car seemed like it was pulling a little bit of power due to the heat, but I think that's to be expected.

Also, glad to see it's not just us with noisy tires. This was our first weekend on the Falkens and man do they talk. Had to adjust mentally not to back off when they started screaming.

bouford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 AP1/18 FK8/19 CV2
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
stay cool guys and glad to see everyone doing well! :thumbsup:

wasn't as quite as hot at yesterday's race but i ran ealry am so my18 was happy.

on oahu, we will be off until sept as the annual summer fair (extending into fall) is back in the stadium lower lot. it's likely we'll be back from jan-apr 2022 and a few races in sept for the time being (until the stadium permanently closes to be rebuilt in a few years).

Last edited:

jrow3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2003 4Runner
Country flag
Wouldn't having the AC on actually put more load on the engine? Either way, we managed this weekend in 105* temps by spraying the intercooler and keeping the hood open between runs. Car seemed like it was pulling a little bit of power due to the heat, but I think that's to be expected.

Also, glad to see it's not just us with noisy tires. This was our first weekend on the Falkens and man do they talk. Had to adjust mentally not to back off when they started screaming.
It's less about the load (spinning the compressor puts almost no load on it) and all about forcing the fans to run to pull more air through the rad.

Also the creature comfort of AC vs Heat on a really hot day is a way bigger speed boost. It was 110 out last weekend and I had no issues with engine heat (popping the hood, and blasting AC), but had I not had that cabin cooled down I would have been much slower having heat stroke.

Last edited:

StevenMatchett

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Midseason Falken 660 update. Just did the math and have 91 runs on my set excluding about 10 TnT runs at national events. I am about to flip them and run them for locals. They seemed to have lost a handful of pace looking at other people data with fresher tires, but not a crazy amount. Roughly around 70 to 80 runs the inital turn in bite has gotten numb or is about when I noticed it being numb. I was getting pretty worried about my inside edge at bristol with a driver not use to "heavy cars', but they seemed to have held on well.

Honda Civic 10th gen D-Street Type R AutoX info sharing 1625659334522
Sponsored