D-Street Type R AutoX info sharing

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
I've stopped filming because I can't bring myself to stick anything to the dome light and can't find a better solution. The best in car R footage I've seen was with a harness bar in the car.
A new dome light cover is only ~$10. I'm leaning towards this approach, as the gorillapod footage seems stable but the setup looks a little jankier.

Someone else's picture:
Honda Civic 10th gen D-Street Type R AutoX info sharing _nc_ohc=Ua42QWNtZbUAX-mZ7II&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1
Sponsored

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
I was just reading about mounting spots for the R. I'm not a fan of the outside behind driver view like John's. It seems like the two popular options are either an adhesive gopro mount on the dome light, or a gorillapod around the 'harness' cut out on the passenger seat. Both seem to provide a decent view.

Has anyone used either of these or found another good interior cam solution?
I was personally thinking to do something rigged to the passenger seat as I also don't like those outside shots as much, but I'm yet to try with my limited Gopro accessories.

I do think from behind one of the turning wheels is a really cool perspective, but it won't show the entire track.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I was personally thinking to do something rigged to the passenger seat as I also don't like those outside shots as much, but I'm yet to try with my limited Gopro accessories.

I do think from behind one of the turning wheels is a really cool perspective, but it won't show the entire track.
I've been kicking around the idea of making an "arm" that would bolt into the passenger side seatbelt area, much like a harness bar, that could utilize the GoPro handlebar mount. I only question how legal it would be for competition use.

Mcsinc

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 S2000, 2018 CTR CW CTR
Country flag
Nice driving Steve! So jealous that there is autocross going on down there. Up here in Canada it is still "no gatherings of >10 people". Even if it's outdoors and people are spread over a couple acres. Really stupid not-thought-out rules.

Also, that massive piece of pavement!! Here is a video of our local lot:

It's less than 2 acres so we have to have sections that you would go through in both directions.
The upside is that we typically race 2x/month (9-10 races/year) on one lot and weekly (17-19 races/year) on another.

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2005 S2000, 1993 EG, 1989 EF Si
Country flag
For those who have run the Yoks, what sort of run count have you gotten out of them? Do they melt off the front of the car like in other camber limited situations? Also, what sort of pressures worked?

I was pretty set on buying a set of Falkens for Nats this year, but a friend has at least convinced me to take another look at the Yok.

Geezer

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Recommended tire pressure on the RT660s? Thinking 30 cold and see what she does.

Honda Civic 10th gen D-Street Type R AutoX info sharing CDD3D786-C7AF-4A9B-9159-8732C68E3FED

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 CRX Si. 91 STD Hatch. 17 CTR. 18 CTR.
Country flag
Type R DS Trophy Sweep at the
2021 Tire Rack SCCA New Jersey Champ Your May 7 - 9, 2021! Nice job!
Honda Civic 10th gen D-Street Type R AutoX info sharing IMG_20210509_140137_990

StevenMatchett

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Day 1 was a shitshow of rain. Got my first rerun on my 3rd run after tagging the second cone on course when an FM stalled. On my second return an Uber driver figured the fastest way was through course. Unfortunately the run was pretty decent and while waiting 5 mins it started to rain again. Sealed pavement and rain do not play nice. Day 1 was sorta a crapshoot. Also fun fact David sold his car in the middle of grid to a dealer on day 1 lol.

Day 2 was fun. Lost a few tenths in the 2nd turn around drifted the majority of it and it set me up sorta weird the next section. Could have carried a bit more speed in the fast section after that turn around and sorta pussy footed. I also think I lost a tenth at the finish by overslowing.

Mic'd the engine bay it sounds awesome

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Would love to go back to NJ. Went once (and beat Alex ;) ). Looked like fun!

Anyone here run either mud flaps or rock guards? Have been thinking of getting the ZL1 ones for the fronts, but am unsure how they’ll hold up to cone* abuse at autox.

Last edited:

StevenMatchett

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Would love to go back to NJ. Went once (and beat Alex ;) ). Looked like fun!

Anyone here run either mud flaps or rock guards? Have been thinking of getting the ZL1 ones for the fronts, but am unsure how they’ll hold up to come abuse.
I run rally armor mud flaps and still get a ton of stuff flown up and chipped. I can only assume without is a lot worse

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 CRX Si. 91 STD Hatch. 17 CTR. 18 CTR.
Country flag
Day 1 was a shitshow of rain. Got my first rerun on my 3rd run after tagging the second cone on course when an FM stalled. On my second return an Uber driver figured the fastest way was through course. Unfortunately the run was pretty decent and while waiting 5 mins it started to rain again. Sealed pavement and rain do not play nice. Day 1 was sorta a crapshoot. Also fun fact David sold his car in the middle of grid to a dealer on day 1 lol.

Day 2 was fun. Lost a few tenths in the 2nd turn around drifted the majority of it and it set me up sorta weird the next section. Could have carried a bit more speed in the fast section after that turn around and sorta pussy footed. I also think I lost a tenth at the finish by overslowing.

Mic'd the engine bay it sounds awesome

Day 1... Damn. Nice run. Good aggression.

When I was up there in 2014 for the Hurricane Sandy project I came out to see the tour, it was cold and almost rainy that day. Thankfully my driver didn't enter the course.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I run rally armor mud flaps and still get a ton of stuff flown up and chipped. I can only assume without is a lot worse
Weird. I run RA's tucked all the way in on a 265 tire and haven't had any chips/anything flying up at the body.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think my winter setup is worse for that, ET40 wheels pokes more than DS legal setup.....I get mud/slush spray mark pretty bad in winter...

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2005 S2000, 1993 EG, 1989 EF Si
Country flag
Thanks for the info!

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I bought a GoPro knockoff this week. I was thinking about starting with the rear window mounting location, but I don't like not being able to see the right side of the car. I like the idea of the dome light. I may start with that.
Sponsored