D-Street Type R AutoX info sharing

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
I ended up with three sets of Motegis when a local sold their R and cleared out two sets... Glad I bought them when I did, that sucks that they're backordered.
I've been waiting for a looooong time for them now... kinda just gave up as I don't like having my money tied up like that. I'll probably try again next year unless I can get my hands on a used set locally.
Sponsored

burglar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Maybe this is a stupid question, but has anyone had a set of Forgestar CF5V made to Type R specs at 19.8lb and $450 ea? Looks like that wheel can be had up to a +54 which is within legal range.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm seems like an ok option. You might be able to get NSX Ys used for less and only slightly lighter.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe this is a stupid question, but has anyone had a set of Forgestar CF5V made to Type R specs at 19.8lb and $450 ea? Looks like that wheel can be had up to a +54 which is within legal range.
I like this option tbh. Seems fairly affordable compared to some others albeit not forged. Would love to see someone grab a set.

Did you grab the quote from them?

Mcsinc

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 S2000, 2018 CTR CW CTR
Country flag
Someone should start a group buy ?

Mcsinc

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 S2000, 2018 CTR CW CTR
Country flag
No, because of the EU only bit.
how does it work if, say, you were from EU and moved and brought your car over and wanted to autocross?
I thought you could interchange between models that are listed on the “same line” (eg: miatas can use the tie rods from a 93LE on a 96? No?). Or has to be the complete trim swapped from one to the other ? (In which car, you wouldn’t swap the whole steering column to the right side to make it the EU equivalent lol)

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2005 S2000, 1993 EG, 1989 EF Si
Country flag
how does it work if, say, you were from EU and moved and brought your car over and wanted to autocross?
I thought you could interchange between models that are listed on the “same line” (eg: miatas can use the tie rods from a 93LE on a 96? No?). Or has to be the complete trim swapped from one to the other ? (In which car, you wouldn’t swap the whole steering column to the right side to make it the EU equivalent lol)
It's my understanding that there is essentially no place for non USDM/CDM cars in national competition (except maybe XP).

"
Cars running in Street Category must have been series produced with nor-
mal road touring equipment capable of being licensed for normal road use
in the United States and normally sold and delivered through the manu-
facturer’s retail sales outlets in the United States. A Canadian-market ve-
hicle is eligible for Street category if it is identical to the US-market coun-
terpart except for comfort and convenience modifications as allowed per
Section 13.2.A."

StevenMatchett

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
More tire testing

275 35 RE71
275 35 RT660

Ran the local at Toledo Airport Express. Run group 1, 76 degrees and concrete surface. Course was very fast and speed maintenance with only a handful of transitions

660s felt great and maybe had a bit too much rear grip which could be dialed out with another click on the rear bar. Was running it at 3/4. After running the 660s for my first 2 runs the RE71s felt better in the few transitions, but blew the tires off coming out of corners. Was also 1.2 mph slower around the big sweeper where the 660s just held on a good bit better.

I ended up going a little over .5 seconds faster on the 660s compared to the RE71s. Alex ended up almost going .8 tenths faster on the 660s. Edged Alex out by 50 thousands. Ended 8/196 and 10/196 in pax respectfully and 2nd and 3rd on street tires

----------------
For my run I had 1 tiny mistake and another that was roughly a tenth and a half. I over slowed on the left hand corner on the far right of the course. Looking at the data this is how much time I lost. The other is after the first left hand sweeper I scrubbed more speed than I needed to and could have gotten closer to the cone wall. Not sure how much time it cost as we both ended up doing it

trucke

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR; 2022 Civic Si; 1987 Corolla FX16 GT-S
Country flag
More tire testing

I ended up going a little over .5 seconds faster on the 660s compared to the RE71s. Alex ended up almost going .8 tenths faster on the 660s. Edged Alex out by 50 thousands. Ended 8/196 and 10/196 in pax respectfully and 2nd and 3rd on street tires

----------------
For my run I had 1 tiny mistake and another that was roughly a tenth and a half. I over slowed on the left hand corner on the far right of the course. Looking at the data this is how much time I lost. The other is after the first left hand sweeper I scrubbed more speed than I needed to and could have gotten closer to the cone wall. Not sure how much time it cost as we both ended up doing it

Squeaking by Alex is a major accomplishment. Great job! Thanks for sharing the info and perspectives on the RT660's.

burglar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Announcing that heat was a blast. Really felt like the next best thing to Lincoln itself, competition wise. Not sure how many times you've been to TEA, but most cars, and maybe all FWD cars, suddenly get very pushy on that surface. I've never been able to "feel" a grip limit there, either, and typically can't put in all that great of times as a result.

Overall I was pleased with the (235) RT660 on the GS car. No transitions to really feel the difference from the RE71, but felt like a decent amount more bite in braking, enough that I upset the car a handful of times with my dumb caveman footwork. I don't think I cracked the top 30 on PAX. Finch put half a second on me on 255/18 RE71s.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man I don't remember how to do a lot of things. At least even on the old tires I think if we remember how to drive better I think we can get closer. Steve/Alex/Alan all put on quite a showing. I'll just let you guys figure out the tires to use and buy them when I am going back to autoX more often...

jrow3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2003 4Runner
Country flag
Had a great Saturday event out at Crows Landing this weekend. Was able to snag top spot in D Street due to a few cones tripping up our usual "guy to beat", Alex (former Nats Champ).

Course was much trickier than it looked with a TON of DNF's and cone snags by all run groups over the day (9% of runs were DNF's, and 30% involved a cone). The majority of the slaloms could be run flat out if hit perfectly, but the smallest inbalance in the car would have you catching a cone or missing a gate.

For my last run I managed to nail most of the slaloms which lead to exiting way too fast, being late on the brakes and almost blowing the next turn (see 45 second mark below) but the clock still said that was good enough. Ended up just setting up extra early for the long slalom and it paid off (that's where most of the DNF/cones for the day came from).

Last edited:

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Had a great Saturday event out at Crows Landing this weekend. Was able to snag top spot in D Street due to a few cones tripping up our usual "guy to beat", Alex (former Nats Champ).

Course was much trickier than it looked with a TON of DNF's and cone snag by all run groups over the day. The majority of the slaloms could be run flat out if hit perfectly, but the smallest inbalance in the car would have you catching a cone or missing a gate.

For my last run I managed to nail most of the slaloms which lead to exiting way too fast, being late on the brakes and almost blowing the next turn (see 45 second mark below) but the clock still said that was good enough. Ended up just setting up extra early for the long slalom and it paid off (that's where most of the DNF/cones for the day came from).

All these videos.. make me feel like I need to mount my gopro soon.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
I was just reading about mounting spots for the R. I'm not a fan of the outside behind driver view like John's. It seems like the two popular options are either an adhesive gopro mount on the dome light, or a gorillapod around the 'harness' cut out on the passenger seat. Both seem to provide a decent view.

Has anyone used either of these or found another good interior cam solution?

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I was just reading about mounting spots for the R. I'm not a fan of the outside behind driver view like John's. It seems like the two popular options are either an adhesive gopro mount on the dome light, or a gorillapod around the 'harness' cut out on the passenger seat. Both seem to provide a decent view.

Has anyone used either of these or found another good interior cam solution?
I've stopped filming because I can't bring myself to stick anything to the dome light and can't find a better solution. The best in car R footage I've seen was with a harness bar in the car.
Sponsored