AjHawk

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
Mounting them is no deterrent for me. I got the 285's on without much hassle. Ill throw the 265's on and maybe keep the 285's as testing tires for another day.
Sponsored

Slalom

First Name
Cathy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2013 JCW
Country flag
Do you think the car would be more forgiving in pedal dance mode when I forget to lift the gas while braking?

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mounting them is no deterrent for me. I got the 285's on without much hassle. Ill throw the 265's on and maybe keep the 285's as testing tires for another day.
FYI brand new ones are a lot harder to mount...I had no issue mounting used ones but new 265s took me a LONG time...

PedalFaster

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever people will let me drive
Country flag
Do you think the car would be more forgiving in pedal dance mode when I forget to lift the gas while braking?
I'm not sure I understand the question, but even if you do the pedal dance, the car will still kill the throttle if you overlap gas and brake.

Banannie

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 S2K CR delete
Country flag
Oddly, my tire guy (who is an autocrosser, BTW) cringes more when I show up with my new 265s than the new 285s I did that once. He often has set them out in the sun to convince them to seat. I have pictures of my wheels/tires with a bikini and margarita in the sun for this very reason...

AjHawk

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
Mounted the brand new 265’s today. 5 mins each, by myself. I don’t know what all the fuss is about.

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 Integra aspec MT
Country flag
maybe NSX wheels suck
FORGESTAR WHEELS SUCK!

Somethign about their barrel design when I had my camaro was a PITA to get the tires to mount up!

revvhappy

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1985 Supra endurance race car
Country flag
Today I competed in my first autocross event with the 2019 CTR, and it's a hoot. Prep was limited to pulling the camber pins and installing NSX wheels with new 255 RE71s. I didn't have time to get it aligned, but from reading other threads it doesn't change the toe significantly enough for me to notice.

I used to autocross a LOT and ran with the Pro class in Atlanta until 7 years ago when I started doing endurance races (Chump, Lemons, WRL). Today was my first event back and I had to knock a little rust off and get used to a relatively big car with 100hp more than I ever raced. The car made for an easy return to the parking lot - and was very entertaining to drive. I ran in R+ mode but didn't do the pedal dance or long hold to completely cancel the nannies. The brakes are phenomenal, the power is awesome if you can keep the turbo spooled, and the handling is sublime until you overdrive the tires. The only negative was some crunchy shifting between 1st and 2nd.

The event and the course were different than a regular event - it was called "Duel Cross" and was head-to head with no timing. Two cars staged on opposite sides of the course and on a signal from a starter took off driving in the same course direction. The first car to reach their start line after a full lap was the winner unless they hit a cone. Double elimination brackets were used. I hit a cone on my first run and moved immediately to the loser's bracket (after crossing the finish line far ahead of my opponent). I worked my way through 4 opponents in the loser bracket to make the final in my bracket, and beat a CS Miata with a driver who has a National Jacket. Unfortunately they say I jumped the start by a few milliseconds and I was DQed. Rules are rules.

The course had two true 3rd gear sections where the CTR probably hit over 75mph if I threaded the needle properly. I'm going to have to recalibrate my brain for the speed of this car.

More practice tomorrow at a regular event at the same site. Thanks to everyone for the information in this thread!

One interesting note: Does anyone else's fuel fill cover pop open during runs?

revvhappy

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Follow up after a normal event:

I ran in the Pro class at an Atlanta region event that included a few Nationals Jacket winners. An old friend was looking for a co-drive after another car broke so I let her drive with me, which led to some hot tire temps on 3rd and 4th runs (I hadn't planned for a co-drive and didn't bring a sprayer). I was sitting in 1st place on index after 2 runs and ended up 3rd overall for the day after 3 runs (4th runs don't count in our Pro class).

Something tells me that the car will be re-classed before next year.

PedalFaster

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does anyone else's fuel fill cover pop open during runs?
That happened on Apex Carver's car a few times, but it wasn't an every-event occurrence.

Something tells me that the car will be re-classed before next year.
The SEB is required to publish class change proposals for member comment before they take effect. They haven't published anything about the Type R, and it's too late to publish any new changes that would be effective during the 2020 season. Any proposal published now would be effective 2021.

revvhappy

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The SEB is required to publish class change proposals for member comment before they take effect. They haven't published anything about the Type R, and it's too late to publish any new changes that would be effective during the 2020 season. Any proposal published now would be effective 2021.
This is good news. Now we'll have to see what Rick Ruth says about PAX for 2020.

revvhappy

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can anyone help with nanny information?

I ran in R+ mode only and thought that I felt the car go soft (throttle) after I messed up badly in a slalom and made some stupid inputs. By the 4th cone it felt like the car wouldn't respond to throttle. Maybe I'd just lost a lot of speed and it took the turbo time to spool, but what does it feel like when the nannies kick in?

Also, what does the car do differently when you run R+ with a long hold to turn "everything off"?

PedalFaster

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I ran in R+ mode only and thought that I felt the car go soft (throttle) after I messed up badly in a slalom and made some stupid inputs. By the 4th cone it felt like the car wouldn't respond to throttle.
I struggled with this for a while until I realized that I was sometimes overlapping throttle and brake inputs, which causes the car to kill the throttle for a half-second or so. Once I started making a conscious effort to not overlap, the problem went away.

Not saying this is definitely what’s happening to you, but something to be aware of.
Sponsored