D is faster than S wow

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
@Feddy_Ace Have you tried this in 'L'? I have! :p You will be starting off at a high rpm as soon as you floor it.

I am not recommending doing this but I do. I never have had a problem with it.
Since I have a sport hatch I don’t have the L mode. I played around with my pulls again today after getting new tires and it’s been tough to determine what method is best. Funny enough, I got a real world test when a Lexus 200t decided to race me right after doing this. Using just D and not even gunning it that hard, I beat him pretty handily. Those things, despite having more way more ponies than the Civic, they only go 0-60 in 6.9s because they’re so heavy. I’ve been averaging around 6.7s, so it makes sense I pulled away regardless of what mode I was in.
Sponsored

Reactions: Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, I will just copy and paste the one time I really tried to do a comparison between the three modes (D, S and L). I didn't want to post subjective information but wanted to have data to show the results of each gear/mode. I posted the results in the 1/4 mile thread. Unfortunately, when I put the care in 'L' mode, I had really bad back-fire once the gear reached 6000rpms. Almost as if the turbo surged and the tires just spun as it bounced off the rev limiter. This happened 2x during my testing in 'L' gear, on this occasion. I still am not sure what happened that night.

Great night for racing. Temp was 33f-34F. Humidity was low. Air density was around -874ft. Did 9 runs. Came to test 'D', 'S', 'L' and Myxal Two-Stepping in whatever ones were there best. 'L' gear was the worst. Only did two runs with this. 1st run actually caused machine gun backfire, like it did at Atco Raceway. Going to list all the runs below in case they are difficult to read. VSA was off on all runs. Front tire inflation was at 28psi on all runs except #9 (Last run).

1. [email protected] mph, 60ft - 2.172, 'D' Gear
  2. [email protected], 60ft - 2.179, 'S' Gear
  3. [email protected], 60ft - 2.177, 'L' Gear (Machine gun back fire once rpms hit 6000rpm. Don't just mash the accelerator in 'L' gear with a tune. Stock was fine)
  4. [email protected], 60ft - 2.200, 'L' Gear (Myxal Two-Step, no machine gun backfire when doing this. Still low trap speed)
  5. [email protected], 60ft - 2.179, 'D' Gear
  6. [email protected], 60ft - 2.195, 'D' Gear (Myxal Two-Step)
  7. [email protected], 60ft - 2.178, 'S' Gear (Myxal Two-Step)
  8. [email protected], 60ft - 2.250, 'S' Gear
  9. [email protected], 60ft - 2.221, 'D' Gear

Had fun, learning a lot! Creeped into the 13's with this CVT. With a base tune and a downpipe. Pretty damn awesome! This car is incredible. So far....... More testing to do with more mods. Stay tuned!
BTW: I won't compare these runs to my runs with the PRL Front Pipe and 3" Injen exhaust because they were at another track. The conditions were very similar though.

Also, hitting high 2.1 60ft times was effortless. I don't have the best of tires either since I'm testing a weird setup for how it affects gearing. Will replace with some good dry traction tires after I get some wear on these.

11-24-17 Runs.jpg

13-901 Time.jpg

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
What does it mean to launch a car or brake boosting?
1. Hold the brake pedal with your left foot.
2. Rev up the engine.
3. Release the brake pedal and simultaneously smash the throttle to the floor.

Enjoy the fun and pray you haven't killed your CVT.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
1. Hold the brake pedal with your left foot.
2. Rev up the engine.
3. Release the brake pedal and simultaneously smash the throttle to the floor.

Enjoy the fun and pray you haven't killed your CVT.

Lol, I have not done this before but I have seen it referred to and was curious. How is this better or different vs, reving in neutral then throwing it in drive ? Or does it largely accomplish the same thing ?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, I have not done this before but I have seen it referred to and was curious. How is this better or different vs, reving in neutral then throwing it in drive ? Or does it largely accomplish the same thing ?
It may be a little less jarring than revving the engine in N and dropping it into D but I wouldn't recommend either method. I mean if people feel they need to do that to get a better 0-60 they should trade their Civic CVT in for something else ASAP because they own the wrong car.
Sponsored