Cylinder Knock Count - Ktuner V1

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
For the record. I did not say which one was better. I'm on a standalone if that helps you sleep at night.
See this is where i get confused then. So your derogatory statement was aimed at me personally. Care to elaborate why?
Sponsored

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Well if one is useless and to be ignored and the other has kept all the motors I've handled happy then whatever it is must work.

I would rather have something i can watch to anticipate k control moving before it happens, ideally.

In lieu of a self admittedly useless sum of misfires.

(Again don't care what name is on the box)

But that's just me. And I'm a senile nobody so my opinion/ contribution is trash.

Carry on.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, I don't know why this sort of devolved into Hondata versus KTuner. This is posted in the KTuner discussion area and JR and Derek and others have explained it well. The gist being what Honda classifies as "knock count" seems a bit vague so the key element to concentrate on for KTuner users is knock control.

Again, I'm an owner, not a pro tuner. It seems as though these so called knock or misfire events are often just a phantom thing. So if you're seeing some number of less than 10 or so on a 30+ minute drive, there's no real concern. Seeing a very high number in a very short span could indicate an issue and should be looked into.

At least that's my understanding.

Last edited:

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
It boils down to this... knock control is what to watch on this platform for overall health. That's a fact.

Can the knock count values be used for tuning? Sure they can, in certain scenarios.

Should everyone stress out over 5-10 knock counts as they often do? No, but that is the reason this topic keeps coming up over and over again. This is why people are appropriately told to monitor the more indicative value of health for this platform, something they can repeatably check for their given parameters and circumstances.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I shouldn't have even tried to chime in. Dam me to hell for thinking maybe i was helping

It's not a this vs that thing for me.

I have given hondata plenty of shit too! 10 fold more probably!

It's no hard feelings.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
I shouldn't have even tried to chime in. Dam me to hell for thinking maybe i was helping

It's no hard feelings.
Definitely no hard feeling from me. I've seen you ask questions and think it's pretty cool. You're just not on my platform, so I don't engage generally.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
PPL, no worries. :thumbsup: Apparently KTuner just uses the Honda ECU knock count value and Hondata maybe has their own logic or something. JR's advice is for those owning KTuner. Maybe you can ask about the knock count value Hondata uses over at their forum? I'd be interested to know the difference myself.

l15b7allturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag

It's no hard feelings.
Don't beat yourself up. That is the reason why I tend to troll you quite often.