Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
btw, for my region ecu version(s) we don't have LTFT & knock count but it does have STFT & K.Cont
for added safety (if suspicious) sometimes i do use an external knock sensor via heaphones to double verify if it's an actual or an artificial knock on the dyno & OTR test runs.
many other factors can contribute to both kcount or kcont such as fuel type/quality & environmental factors.
Sponsored

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
360 glitches example above is accurate.....4-5 is nothing generally. Except for the "ignore it" part.

The others arent what I would consider wrong....just inadequately explained and dangerously misleading to be telling the average person.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
gtman i admit i am posting on different threads all over the site but that is because i am wanting to learn all aspects on how my engine operates and able to understand the values and operations of these features within ktuner. this is my first time ever taking the leap to use ecu tuning products and all my goal is to be able to know if i am running okay and to know what key things to look out for when i decide to check my logs. you could see it as over-worrying/over-thinking but not every member wants to upload a tsp stage 1 and drive, we all have different goals and mine is to simply understand things a little more better for my own sake.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with learning the ins and outs of tuning. I mention all the time how folks should learn all they can, it's a good thing. I was just saying that what I've seen you post says your car seems to be operating quite as expected.

Have you considered taking some online tuning classes? That may give you an even better base of knowledge.

CIVICUK

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport hatch 1.5 turbo manual.
Country flag
There is absolutely nothing wrong with kearning the ins and out of tuning. I mention all the time how folks should learn all they can, it's a good thing. I was just saying that what I've seen you post says your car seems to be operating quite as expected.

Have you considered taking some online tuning classes? That may give you an even better base of knowledge.
thanks for clarifying my queries on my cars operations i appreciate the support this forum has to offer when members need answers its very effective :) , yes believe it or not i have just been watching hp tuners! but i am unsure what ecu ours falls under for e.g torque based ecu or map based ecu so i guess i am trying to find a class that is closest possible to ktuners interface. any reccomendations? :D

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
@PowerPerLiter , I'd like to elaborate that if you're using Hondata as your basis for comparison about the "Knock Count" parameter, you're not entirely wrong.

Hondata FlashPro and KTuner are showing something completely different from one another in terms of that.

"Knock Count" in KTuner is an indication of the ECU's misfire monitor (which is how Honda expresses it natively), and an increase in misfire counts happens entirely separate from knock sensor events (which is expressed as a rise in the Knock Control value).

If you look at a log in Hondata, there are no indicators of misfire events, period, while the "Knock Count" value in that software DOES appear to fall in line with Knock Control value movement, suggesting they are logging a different parameter all together.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
@PowerPerLiter , I'd like to elaborate that if you're using Hondata as your basis for comparison about the "Knock Count" parameter, you're not entirely wrong.

Hondata FlashPro and KTuner are showing something completely different from one another in terms of that.

"Knock Count" in KTuner is an indication of the ECU's misfire monitor (which is how Honda expresses it natively), and an increase in misfire counts happens entirely separate from knock sensor events (which is expressed as a rise in the Knock Control value).

If you look at a log in Hondata, there are no indicators of misfire events, period, while the "Knock Count" value in that software DOES appear to fall in line with Knock Control value movement, suggesting they are logging a different parameter all together.
Derek, this is the most concise answer I've seen regarding "knock count value" and the KTuner/Hondata differences. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
This does add some clarity. I have to ask though.

What would be the different parameter altogether being monitored for the same "named" data?
.And why leave it labeled knock count?
So it seems to me that hondata reports the better observable parameter that matches common tuning logic being that k control follows and reacts to "their version" of knock count.

I am NOT implying anything by that or throwing stones AT ALL. So nobody even go there.

Why have a parameter that is named and displayed in a way that requires so much explaining?
And seemingly functions differently than other commonly labeled knock control methods?

Maybe a re-name of said parameter is in order?

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Actually, that's how Honda labels it in the HDS software and the data we show because of it. That's what DRob meant above when he said "which is how Honda expresses it natively".

Renaming it to something other than what it is or changing it to display a value that mimics knock control movement, a value you can already see moving when datalogging, really doesn't seem like a benefit. Thanks anyway for your feedback.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fair enough.

If honda expresses it like this natively, then how do we have such a stark contrast?

Is hondata pulling the knock count numbers out of their ass only when k control moves?

@Hondata would you care to chime in?

This is special lol

Poor Derek is exasperated from explaining this I know.

I laugh to myself wondering what else "isnt as it seems"

Are my coolant temp readings actually my intake air temp readings? :D

l15b7allturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Fair enough.

If honda expresses it like this natively, then how do we have such a stark contrast?

Is hondata pulling the knock count numbers out of their ass only when k control moves?

@Hondata would you care to chime in?

This is special lol

Poor Derek is exasperated from explaining this I know.

I laugh to myself wondering what else "isnt as it seems"

Are my coolant temp readings actually my intake air temp readings? :D
When you run @Hondata you're stuck in the matrix.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you run @Hondata you're stuck in the matrix.
Save that for someone else.

All I care about are results.

At the end of the day controlling an engine correctly/safely is what everyone is after. You just need accurate data to do so.

I normally keep my fingers from typing anything anymore but I am glad I instigated some productive conversation about this.

Hopefully its seen as beneficial.

l15b7allturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Save that for someone else.

All I care about are results.

At the end of the day controlling an engine correctly/safely is what everyone is after. You just need accurate data to do so.

I normally keep my fingers from typing anything anymore but I am glad I instigated some productive conversation about this.

Hopefully its seen as beneficial.
Sure thing Mr t00ner

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can I have your autograph sir??

I guess my lack of nut swinging a product or person on here strikes again.

I am so sorry I purchased Hondata sir, please sir, forgive me as I know this goes directly against this websites company policy. I was naive in the error of my ways.

Your acceptance is absolutely necessary for me to continue living....what should I do next sir?

l15b7allturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Can I have your autograph sir??

I guess my lack of nut swinging a product or person on here strikes again.

I am so sorry I purchased Hondata sir, please sir, forgive me as I know this goes directly against this websites company policy. I was naive in the error of my ways.

Your acceptance is absolutely necessary for me to continue living....what should I do next sir?
For the record. I did not say which one was better. I'm on a standalone if that helps you sleep at night.
Sponsored