Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No. it's a bug in ktuner. His si isn't having an issue so hes been trying to reproduce it.

That bug is ktuner resetting itself to 0. The knock control issue you're having is fine
Alright thanks for the help man.

l15b7allturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Alright thanks for the help man.
Forgot to mention.. The knock control going up.. Your tune is a big deal. Vit has been tuning my car and my knock control goes down in some maps driving it hard.

I would suggest having Vit tune your vehicle. He knows what he's doing.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Forgot to mention.. The knock control going up.. Your tune is a big deal. Vit has been tuning my car and my knock control goes down in some maps driving it hard.

I would suggest having Vit tune your vehicle. He knows what he's doing.
I have my own tuner with a dyno but have to get my car retuned since the first time I did it was still with the stock clutch

CIVICUK

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport hatch 1.5 turbo manual.
Country flag
You're fine. 4-5 knocks with kcontrol at .49 is like a fart in the wind. Completely harmless. As long as it happened during cruising, or partial throttle.
Over a 15min drive i was getting 15 knock count and they were from missfires in cylinders 1 3 and 4, so i changed the spark plugs and got 8 in 25min drive, why am i still missfiring? Also my knock counts starts at .59 and eventually drops to .49 and the odd wot makes it jump to .89 but drops quickly back down. Is this okay?

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
Over a 15min drive i was getting 15 knock count and they were from missfires in cylinders 1 3 and 4, so i changed the spark plugs and got 8 in 25min drive, why am i still missfiring? Also my knock counts starts at .59 and eventually drops to .49 and the odd wot makes it jump to .89 but drops quickly back down. Is this okay?
You are not missfiring. Your numbers are totally fine. K.control rise if you rev past 5300rpm even if there isn't real knock.

CIVICUK

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You are not missfiring. Your numbers are totally fine. K.control rise if you rev past 5300rpm even if there isn't real knock.
i cant get passed 4000rpm some days with all the traffic so sounds like i am doing okay, i do notice in certain areas on my logs that the ' retard' jumps from anywhere from 2.5 to 7/8 what does this mean? does it relate to knock count also?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
i cant get passed 4000rpm some days with all the traffic so sounds like i am doing okay, i do notice in certain areas on my logs that the ' retard' jumps from anywhere from 2.5 to 7/8 what does this mean? does it relate to knock count also?
CivicUK, I've seen all your posts all over the board and you are over-worrying/over-thinking all of this.

Knock count on our platform is fairly meaningless. Unless you are seeing something like 100's in a matter of a minute or two, there are no worries. As far as k. control, yours is working as intended. WOT, or anything over 5,000 rpm or so will cause kc to rise. Driving up a long, steep hill can cause that too. High IAT's will cause that. It's done that way to protect the engine.

Stop constantly monitoring your timing numbers. Monitor fuel trims and IAT's and knock control instead. Just drive and enjoy your tune.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I disagree with this narrative entirely. Knock count should be monitored and "believed". No matter what it "is" according to the experts....they all agree on one thing completely.....that number records events deemed as "abnormal combustion" whether you call that knock,ping,detonation,misfire...whatever label.....its still an abnormal combustion event reported by hondas systems.

This should not be dismissed.

I have had my last one at 27-28 psi and not a single knock count.

Probably less than 20 counts I even recorded in the entirety of my 2 years of owning and tuning that car......you know how much I did.....almost NEVER had knock counts, misfires or k control movement.

I am seeing tuned cars with intakes that are advertised to have stock like fuel trims and the ecu's are correcting 36% in places!

The point is a lot of things have been said that I have found to flat out not be true.

Its not normal.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not an expert tuner so I rely on and have learned a great deal from the tuning pros. Vit Viper in the past and JR from KTuner know a lot more than I do so I have faith in their words:

Honda Civic 10th gen Cylinder Knock Count - Ktuner V1 20200506_124617

Honda Civic 10th gen Cylinder Knock Count - Ktuner V1 20200506_122247

Honda Civic 10th gen Cylinder Knock Count - Ktuner V1 20200506_125204

Last edited:

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I mean quite literally I had a "customers" car this past weekend we had dialed to essentially zero counts during the cooler whether.....(I told him then to expect some changes that would possibly need adjustment when the heat of summer started to hit)......he saw 51 counts in a 40 minute drive once it hit 80 degrees compared to the 40 degrees we tuned it in last. It literally took 10 minutes of datalog review and a few changes to the timing map and iat temp scaling (I am talking about .5 of a degree of timing changes-not much at all- in maybe 6 cells) and it was back down to zero.

If it was so "normal" and happens even when the tune is perfect, then no matter what I changed in the tune; we would still be seeing counts.

Yes they can happen occationally/sporatically and that is "normal"....by that I mean less than 5 in an hour of driving....

Say a washed out road or pothole scenario etc.

If they are trackably happening in certain load ranges then its not something I would ignore. I dont care who would tell me otherwise.

Ask yourself: could it be that it is just more time consuming to iron out all the random "knock events"?

I suspect its just an issue of "good enough is good enough"

Not for me and the engines I am responsible for..........

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
To be clear here, are you saying what Vit Viper, JR, 360Glitch etc. have posted about knock counts (small counts being nothing to worry about on this platform) are untrue?

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Take it however you want. May be true for them. Similar system is used in turbo buicks and they also repeated a similar narrative.

Knock sensor readout is "raw knock sensor data"....computer takes this data and chooses whether or not to respond to it via knock retard/recovery methods all based on "trending and learned knock sensor activity". They used to say if you had no retarding happening even with knock sensor activity you were likely fine.

Many a buick motor has spit rods or driven over its own crankshaft because of this. That worlds "premiere tuners" changed the approach and now state to tune for zero knock sensor activity.

Same thing in DSM land.

I stand by what I say. Its dangerous to be telling these owners knock counts are ok as a blanket statement. To some degree, sure. But 70?! Hundreds?!

Ill also repeat. I have read all the info you have and I do understand its complexity. It should be termed "abnormal combustion count". I want all of my combustion's to be normal. :D

Last edited:

CIVICUK

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
CivicUK, I've seen all your posts all over the board and you are over-worrying/over-thinking all of this.

Knock count on our platform is fairly meaningless. Unless you are seeing something like 100's in a matter of a minute or two, there are no worries. As far as k. control, yours is working as intended. WOT, or anything over 5,000 rpm or so will cause kc to rise. Driving up a long, steep hill can cause that too. High IAT's will cause that. It's done that way to protect the engine.

Stop constantly monitoring your timing numbers. Monitor fuel trims and IAT's and knock control instead. Just drive and enjoy your tune.
gtman i admit i am posting on different threads all over the site but that is because i am wanting to learn all aspects on how my engine operates and able to understand the values and operations of these features within ktuner. this is my first time ever taking the leap to use ecu tuning products and all my goal is to be able to know if i am running okay and to know what key things to look out for when i decide to check my logs. you could see it as over-worrying/over-thinking but not every member wants to upload a tsp stage 1 and drive, we all have different goals and mine is to simply understand things a little more better for my own sake.
Sponsored