Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I have a feeling that as I was losing traction, adv vsa kicked in to pull back some potential ignition and throttle which resulted in the split weird rpms.
Since it isn't a constant and hasn't happened again, that's a distinct possibility.

I also exclusively do D and there are definitely some wonky rpms from time to time. Although not what you experienced.
Sponsored

highroller

First Name
U Hash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo
Country flag
Honestly it's not the trans I'm really worried about at my current power levels. My tq is not much higher than OTS tunes. Much of my power is made up in the mid and top range.

My bigger concern is the rods and pistons and obviously the head studs as time goes on.

If my car survives 1 more year the following year I'll be doing new rods pistons valve springs gaskets and head studs as I try to eek out a bit more power.
Time for forged pistons n beefed up rods man ??

OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Time for forged pistons n beefed up rods man ??

Actually in the planning stages right now. Once the two fuel solutions I'm eyeing become more available and tested out I plan on picking up a spare block to begin the process. Also been on the lookout for a cheap spare trans I can keep as a backup in case things go boom.

Although if the new 400z comes out with some spectacular specs, I might just stop the civic and throw funds at the Z instead.

highroller

First Name
U Hash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo
Country flag
Actually in the planning stages right now. Once the two fuel solutions I'm eyeing become more available and tested out I plan on picking up a spare block to begin the process. Also been on the lookout for a cheap spare trans I can keep as a backup in case things go boom.

Although if the new 400z comes out with some spectacular specs, I might just stop the civic and throw funds at the Z instead.
Don't hold back ur thoughts... do share two solutions on fuel restrictions...
I too at times feel the need to upgrade fuel system, which would need me to upgrade to si cams and then I wonder if I end up opening head why not upgrade rods too but then a question arises what will I achieve with a CVT :(

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Don't hold back ur thoughts... do share two solutions on fuel restrictions...
I too at times feel the need to upgrade fuel system, which would need me to upgrade to si cams and then I wonder if I end up opening head why not upgrade rods too but then a question arises what will I achieve with a CVT :(
I'm not sure our tuning solutions (KTuner/Hondata) could be used to properly calibrate ECU if we swap fuel system with the one that comes from SI. As far as I know, the current tuning solution is not sufficient to properly calibrate ECU if we swap fuel system & cams with SI fuel system (HPFP, injector, rails), and cams.

highroller

First Name
U Hash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo
Country flag
I'm not sure our tuning solutions (KTuner/Hondata) could be used to properly calibrate ECU if we swap fuel system with the one that comes from SI. As far as I know, the current tuning solution is not sufficient to properly calibrate ECU if we swap fuel system & cams with SI fuel system (HPFP, injector, rails), and cams.
More bad news...
Definitely can't afford a standalone ecu :(

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I suggest checking with @KTuner or @Hondata directly before buying parts.
he's only always asking heh ... & on hondata so maybe he can reach out to the correct support channel ;)

OP yes, build it ! i have many parts haha :)

btw, standalone is ONLY available to MT sadly. but i could be wrong though.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Since it isn't a constant and hasn't happened again, that's a distinct possibility.

I also exclusively do D and there are definitely some wonky rpms from time to time. Although not what you experienced.
I can verify, the CVT does weird shit around turns if it starts slipping and your on the gas. I've felt it seems the the belt broke, gone into limp mode, or slipping.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there a way to dyno a CVT that doesn't have paddles? If it's reasonable, I want to do it. At the least, I'd know what I can contribute to these conversations.
I've had exotic codes thrown, got through a funky period where any spirited throttle caused limp mode, and (after going E30ish) have hit a fun-sounding limiter going WOT at a light change that almost smoked the front PS4S from the spin and had popo trail me to the county line.
I may be out of the loop, but I didn't think fueling was a concern on the L15b7. And without a built engine, where would more fuel be needed with a stock or even big turbo? Stock turbo is limited, and a big turbo shifts the power... Without going built to increase redline, supp fueling would only have a narrow window for application, if any.

Bring me up to speed yo

Reactions: Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there a way to dyno a CVT that doesn't have paddles? If it's reasonable, I want to do it. At the least, I'd know what I can contribute to these conversations.
I've had exotic codes thrown, got through a funky period where any spirited throttle caused limp mode, and (after going E30ish) have hit a fun-sounding limiter going WOT at a light change that almost smoked the front PS4S from the spin and had popo trail me to the county line.
I may be out of the loop, but I didn't think fueling was a concern on the L15b7. And without a built engine, where would more fuel be needed with a stock or even big turbo? Stock turbo is limited, and a big turbo shifts the power... Without going built to increase redline, supp fueling would only have a narrow window for application, if any.

Bring me up to speed yo
I have tried to dyno without having paddle shifter but was unsuccessful.

fkseven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7
Country flag
I have a solution to all the cvt guys answers.....
There’s a way to swap cvt to 6MT.
Now let the comments on how this is a supposed bad idea roll in lol.

Reactions: Myx

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have a solution to all the cvt guys answers.....
There’s a way to swap cvt to 6MT.
Now let the comments on how this is a supposed bad idea roll in lol.
There is actually a successful build thread in this forum. Outside of this forum, I read a few success story of swapping CVT to 6MT, especially in country where Honda doesn't offer 6MT.
Sponsored