CVT with Full Bolt Ons and Turbo Upgrade

raulnor516

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
What is quoted in there are MSRP prices. Luckily most of that I got via some sort of discount but regular MSRP prices are a tad high....

With the added TIP and Race MAF, you are looking at around $6500 MSRP.

An interesting food for thought...

A 1.5T Sport Hatch with the 6MT MSRP approx $24k. (30.5k with mods)
A 1.5T Sport Hatch with the CVT MSRP approx $25k (31.5k with mods)

If you wanted to just match power output, you could save 8k and match a stock R.

While obviously adding mods to get it to match more of the R fully would requires additional mods that would even that price gap.

Ex. A 2020 6MT 1.5T hatch with a clutch upgrade and a LSD upgrade could be had around 34k while the 2020 CTR is $38.8k MSRP.
Thank you for the info! It's pretty cool that you're able to match the Type-R at least in numbers with a much cheaper car. Were you able to get those comparison dyno charts that you mentioned earlier? It's been really cool watching this evolution.
Sponsored

OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you for the info! It's pretty cool that you're able to match the Type-R at least in numbers with a much cheaper car. Were you able to get those comparison dyno charts that you mentioned earlier? It's been really cool watching this evolution.
Not yet still waiting on Drob to send them over when he has the time.

highroller

First Name
U Hash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo
Country flag
How would you compare prl FMIC to 27won fmic?
Was prl fmic 1st gen or billet ends?
Thanks

OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How would you compare prl FMIC to 27won fmic?
Was prl fmic 1st gen or billet ends?
Thanks
It was a PRL v1 i guess before they made the billet ends. In regards to the old prl fmic vs 27won. I can't with 100% certainty say that the 27won was better but after some spirited driving through back roads I noticed that on about 45min, the PRL fmic was starting to be less effective and the 27won took about an additional 15-17ish min before it started to run into the same temps.

Mind you I did go through the same roads and ambient temps were within 3 degrees and humidity was roughly about the same when checking the weather website but I didn't have any real tools to gather much more precise data.

Another thing to note was that maybe it was butt dyno but pre-tune before getting my new tune, with the 27won fmic I felt like it had a tiny bit more turbo lag. However, I didn't just get tuned/dyno'd with just a fmic change but did add a 27won TIP and that lag I felt before is gone so I can't with certainty say that it was truly a fmic caused lag or not.

All in all, I'm pretty stocked with the 27won fmic albeit the install was alot more annoying than the PRL one for sure.

OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Realized I never uploaded this.

Old tune vs New tune difference. (on e85 blend)

Honda Civic 10th gen CVT with Full Bolt Ons and Turbo Upgrade JoshFK7_OldFlexNewFlex

OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice, I am surprised to see how you have been revving beyond 6k mark with a CVT.. Mine never crosses 5.5k
Stock tune probably not but base map tunes from ktuner im pretty sure you can hit 6k.

OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Quick little chime in. It could have just been the cold weather and tires but did have a minor "ah crud" moment where for a tiny split second it seemed like rpms went real wonky and almost felt like it was a potential belt slip. Albeit I didn't give it any more than 50% throttle as I was taking a right turn off a signal but still the rpms were very weird from 2000 to 3000 down to 2500 up to about 2800 then down to 2000 all in a less than a full second. It could've have been the adv vsa kicking in as there was some traction loss.

I did drive the car around the past 2 days about 150 miles and never encountered the same issue but have been logging constantly now every time I go out on any drive longer than 5-10minutes and have been semi trying to see if I could recreate the problem but so far nothing *fingers crossed*

I hope that the car continues to chug along to 150k+ miles on the trans and motor (not just for my pocket) but to serve as an example that even the non-si models can stand up to some beating if taken care of properly.

Some more updates to follow in the next few weeks as I continue to drive the car more and monitor it.

Shawn2shawn

Banned
Banned
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
Quick little chime in. It could have just been the cold weather and tires but did have a minor "ah crud" moment where for a tiny split second it seemed like rpms went real wonky and almost felt like it was a potential belt slip. Albeit I didn't give it any more than 50% throttle as I was taking a right turn off a signal but still the rpms were very weird from 2000 to 3000 down to 2500 up to about 2800 then down to 2000 all in a less than a full second. It could've have been the adv vsa kicking in as there was some traction loss.

I did drive the car around the past 2 days about 150 miles and never encountered the same issue but have been logging constantly now every time I go out on any drive longer than 5-10minutes and have been semi trying to see if I could recreate the problem but so far nothing *fingers crossed*

I hope that the car continues to chug along to 150k+ miles on the trans and motor (not just for my pocket) but to serve as an example that even the non-si models can stand up to some beating if taken care of properly.

Some more updates to follow in the next few weeks as I continue to drive the car more and monitor it.
Your cvt is going

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Your cvt is going
Stop with the nonsense. How do you know that? I know your CVT went up but you kind of abused your car and pushed it beyond what would be considered the norm.

We have 140 CVT vehicles in our tuning survey thread. Only 5 had CVT failures. Why do you think the other 135 are just fine? Luck?

Last edited:

Shawn2shawn

Banned
Banned
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
Stop with the nonsense. You abused your car and pushed it beyond what would be considered the norm.

We have 140 CVT vehicles in our tuning survey thread. Only 5 had CVT failures. Why do you think the other 135 are just fine? Luck?
Roll racing is abused?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
IMO these cars aren't designed for constant racing. You are always saying "roll racing" to make the point you don't launch but constant racing is hard on the car.

You've talked about not liking your car, the CVT etc. for a while. I thought you were switching to a more performance oriented car? Which IMO based on your driving style and expectations is a very wise choice.

Last edited:

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your cvt is going
While that certainly could be the case, I have my doubts.

First is that I'm on a custom tune and since I wasn't flooring it (WOT) and I was already around 30mph, I wasn't really generating that much torque that would boom the trans. As mentioned I was at most 50% tps.cmd on the acceleration which was more of a gradual press rather than just a quick smash down.

Also, I was in D mode and I know that in D, it does tend to do some wonky "shifts" as it tries to find the best "gearing" for the situation it is in.

I've done many 1/4 mile drag passes and track days with no issues with plenty of harsher situations with no problems.

I've gone now about 380 miles so far and no rpm blips. I will try to find the time to see if I can go by that exact same stretch of road and turn and see if I can exactly replicate it.

I have a feeling that as I was losing traction, adv vsa kicked in to pull back some potential ignition and throttle which resulted in the split weird rpms.

And hopefully I will have the datalogs and my dashcam video or perhaps gopro video overlayed to see if that holds true.
Sponsored