CVT: What Quick Enables are you running?

OP
OP

TrippyPancakes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport (CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You should definitely notice a difference in general, so you should have noticed an overall change by now!
Okay! In the meantime waiting on nicer weather I'll explain how I have been testing.

I have been using the app speed logic for GPS tracking which I know is inaccurate for the specific times, but I have not been paying attention to the times themselves but instead the differences in time. Along with these each time I have tried I have done 3 0-60 pulls and allowed a 20-30minute break with the hood popped in the shade in-between. These are the results I saw.

All times are averages of the 3 times
Dual map in eco-mode: 7.55s
Dual map in drive no quick adjustments: 6.45s
Dual map in drive with improved II quick adjustments and early spool: 6.44s
21psi starter map with improved II quick adjustments and early spool: 7.44s

Without having to buy any equipment does anyone have any ideas on how to improve my process to be more accurate in analyzing this?

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
This is where we know there's something outside of the tune playing a role. The dual tune in the 21PSI mode and the 21PSI starter being at 21PSI, with the same options selected, would run identically given repeatable conditions and driving because the targets are the same.

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
This is really what I am thinking it probably was. I'm waiting for a cooler day to run everything again and see what happens.

For reference it was 92°F with around 70% humidity. I was getting IAT temps of 160° and IAT2 temps of 145° and that was with me giving the car time to cooldown between short 0-60 tests. So I just kind of gave up on troubleshooting for the day and decided to wait for more pleasant weather
That's extremely hot. If it's not the entire issue, those IATs are definitely at least playing a role.

If you're able, keep an eye on your boost command (TC.Target), boost pressure (TC.Press), and MAP and compare the numbers. Boost pressure should be very close to command, and MAP should be just slightly under those.

If there is a much larger discrepancy between those numbers I'm going as far to say there could be some leaks somewhere.

Cry16

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 16 Turbo CVT
Country flag
When I had KTuner I only had initial support, but I had throttle and turbo response at Improved II, turbo spool at Improved III, and turbo ramp at Agressive I

They're all totally safe for our cars and they make a huge difference.
i just added these setting with my 21/Eco i am using 93 octane gas. What does Flex Fuel do? and how do i switch on the fly i have a v1.2. Thanks!!

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
i just added these setting with my 21/Eco i am using 93 octane gas. What does Flex Fuel do? and how do i switch on the fly i have a v1.2. Thanks!!
Flex Fuel does a whole bunch of really neato stuff for our cars, but you would need either the PRL or TSP kit to run it properly. It has cooling properties, it's very resistant to pre-ignition and detonation, and can yield pretty impressive WHP and TQ gains.

I run 93 octane because I do not have E85 available near me (at least not within a reasonable range lol) and it works just fine.

OTF map switching, I can't help you there. Never used it. @gtman has a PhD in multi-map on-the-fly KTuner stuff though.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
how do i switch on the fly i have a v1.2. Thanks!!
The on the fly switching is done via the cruise control buttons, so it doesn't matter V1.2 or V2 for that.

Here's a detailed explanation of how to use the feature (from the KTuner help pages):

"Hold Cancel for a long press of two to three seconds. If you've held long enough you'll notice the tachometer is showing your current tune, 1, 2, or 3.

Use the Resume and Set buttons to move up or down in the tune selection. Hold Cancel for a long press of two to three seconds again to set.

If you keep your V1.2 or V2 connected it will save your tune choice when you switch and automatically load you into this tune at the next key on. If you do not keep your V1.2 or V2 connected you will startup in Tune 1.

This scenario also makes it possible to use Tune 1 as a Valet mode and remove your device so it doesn't automatically set you to another tune choice at key on."

It's a superb feature and IMO the best feature on the already feature packed KTuner. On my car, I can switch from the mild factory tune to 17 psi, 19.5 psi or an aggressive 21.5 psi tune in a matter of seconds.

Last edited:

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
...just make sure the clutch is not pressed in and cruise control is off. Clutch in (for manual cars) is the 2 step launch rpm setting.

OP
OP

TrippyPancakes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport (CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's extremely hot. If it's not the entire issue, those IATs are definitely at least playing a role.

If you're able, keep an eye on your boost command (TC.Target), boost pressure (TC.Press), and MAP and compare the numbers. Boost pressure should be very close to command, and MAP should be just slightly under those.

If there is a much larger discrepancy between those numbers I'm going as far to say there could be some leaks somewhere.
I payed attention to this on my drive into work and back today along with a little leisure drive and everything looked normal. The numbers stayed tightly except for MAP at an idle which I have been told it normal (it was at around -11psi)

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Keep this in mind. Extreme temps and humidity do a real number to the overall feel of the car, tuned or not. Driving in 96 degree temps today with high humidity my tuned car felt more like the stock tune. This is normal. Personally, beyond my initial tuning tests to make sure all the numbers look good, I don't keep my KTuner hooked up. I just drive and enjoy. :)

OP
OP

TrippyPancakes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport (CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Keep this in mind. Extreme temps and humidity do a real number to the overall feel of the car, tuned or not. Driving in 96 degree temps today with high humidity my tuned car felt more like the stock tune. This is normal. Personally, beyond my initial tuning tests to make sure all the numbers look good, I don't keep my KTuner hooked up. I just drive and enjoy. :)
Yeah that's normally what I'm here for as well. This while thing started because I was paranoid of something being wrong (think CVT slipping) and causing slower times. But I don't think that's it anymore

Ron21

First Name
Rom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Yeah that's normally what I'm here for as well. This while thing started because I was paranoid of something being wrong (think CVT slipping) and causing slower times. But I don't think that's it anymore
just wondering, CVT slip is a real thing? Genuine question
Sponsored