1.5T Cvt went bad

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
The tune I was running was the one of the settings Hondata came with which was 9+psi. I must have done one launch and that was like 4 5months ago during winter. I have 26k on the transmission. My oil life was on 10 percent however does that affect anything with transmission by any chance?

I don't think your 10% oil life has anything to do with it. I always change my oil at 30% or 40% (which is about 3000-4000 miles) since i have oil dilution.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The tune I was running was the one of the settings Hondata came with which was 9+psi.

I must have done one launch and that was like 4 5months ago during winter. I have 26k on the transmission.

I did buy the car at 17k mileage tho it was used.
1. You bought the car used and have no idea if the previous owner abused it. 2. You brake launched.

One BRAKE launch is one too many. That type of torque hit can kill the transmission. Also, are you sure you run +9? I thought CVTs only have the +6 base tune available.

https://www.hondata.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23109

Having said all that, I still hope you lucked out and it's an easy fix.

Last edited:

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
If the dealer finds ANYTHING wrong, which sounds like they will, they're going to want to replace it since they don't "fix" transmissions, and can easily deny warranty if they dig just a little. Hope for the best, expect the worst.

salik990

First Name
Salik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic 1.5T, 15' Audi A3 1.8T, Toyota Hilux Revo 2017
Country flag
i have hondata flashpro too but i have never seen 9+ map for cvt civic 1.5T only for civic si anyhow back to original topic i dont think going to neutral and back to D would damage cvt gearbox so i think its something else. Keep us update

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have nothing to add to this thread, I just want updates
same

a neutral to d shouldn't cause that, my guess is just previous owner abuse. hoping you can somehow get some help from honda because those cvt's ain't cheap

Sal

First Name
Sally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
So I accidentally stretched my arm and shifted from drive to neutral while going 40. What I messed up on was not letting rpm hit 0 and shifted back to drive. So my CVT completely messed up on me and the engine pushes the car back very hard when trying to drive it. Car doesn’t even move when put on reverse or drive. It acts like it’s on neutral. My car is in Honda now and I have a downpipe and Hondata tune which I reverted back to stock before I gave it to them. You guys think I’m fucked with warranty. Also what do you think the problem might be serious where Honda won’t cover it.
What?????? I've been using Phearable crackle tune for a while now and have done so much revs in neutral while the car is moving and switched back to D while rmp is like 1500-2000 and nothing like this has ever happened not even jerk, of course I release the gas pedal when shifting back to D, you're not telling the truth or just some extremely rare bad luck

OP
OP
groundon000

groundon000

First Name
Evnul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
What?????? I've been using Phearable crackle tune for a while now and have done so much revs in neutral while the car is moving and switched back to D while rmp is like 1500-2000 and nothing like this has ever happened not even jerk, of course I release the gas pedal when shifting back to D, you're not telling the truth or just some extremely rare bad luck
[/QUOTE
I never had that jerking feeling ever. That what made it so weird it happened all of a sudden. I’m still waiting for what the service center gotta say. They said they’ll let me know by tommorow. Also when I was on the call with them and I bought up warranty they said everything will be covered and they didn’t mention at all about modifications to your car or tune will void warranty .so that the only thing keeping my hopes up as I heard many people still got it fixed under warranty with the tune because they simply ignored it.

Reactions: Sal

Sal

First Name
Sally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
I never had that jerking feeling ever. That what made it so weird it happened all of a sudden. I’m still waiting for what the service center gotta say. They said they’ll let me know by tommorow. Also when I was on the call with them and I bought up warranty they said everything will be covered and they didn’t mention at all about modifications to your car or tune will void warranty .so that the only thing keeping my hopes up as I heard many people still got it fixed under warranty with the tune because they simply ignored it.
Hopefully they'll fix it under warranty most likely they'll replace it another trans

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Hmm I had similar situation one day - I was driving on highway in traffic (~35mph) and for some reason i thought i’m on ‚S Mode’ and wanted to change to ‚Drive’ (due to higher traffic) but in reality i was already on ‚Drive’ and switched to Neutral. I immediately almost stop the car (i would say i was still doing 5mph on so) and switched back to ‚Drive’ - nothing really happened except me getting scared that i broke cvt ? *knocks on the wood* so far no issues
I did the exact same thing lol. That was ages ago and the CVT is still good. I wonder how OP bricked his from just 40 mph. I did it while going 75 mph.

TriangleHeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe (FC4, K20C2)
Country flag
There has to be more to this story.

I don't think accidentally shifting into neutral at 40 mph and then putting it back in drive would destroy a CVT. And how exactly would you "let the rpms drop to 0 before shifting to D"?
I'm curious of that as well. Even at idle the RPM is going to be around 650-700, it's physically impossible to be at zero unless the car is off and that would be absurd to require that when shifting back and forth from neutral lol.

The transmission is designed to be able to shift back and forth from neutral to drive without issue. You don't even need to depress the release button to do this, if it was dangerous you would be forced to do so.

OP
OP
groundon000

groundon000

First Name
Evnul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Alright guys update so I called Honda service again they said they had to replace this solenoid sensor and I didn’t hear correctly but some sort of valve. Everything was covered in warranty they didn’t bring up any tune. Car should be good in 2 days.

Nexus713

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport (Sedan)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Alright guys update so I called Honda service again they said they had to replace this solenoid sensor and I didn’t hear correctly but some sort of valve. Everything was covered in warranty they didn’t bring up any tune. Car should be good in 2 days.
That’s awesome! Give us an update how is car/cvt working after they fix it ??

fkseven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7
Country flag
Sounds like it was just stuck in neutral bc of solenoid sensor lol. Idk how that could happen exactly like in that situation. I guess your just lucky idk go buy a lottery ticket or something

OP
OP
groundon000

groundon000

First Name
Evnul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Sounds like it was just stuck in neutral bc of solenoid sensor lol. Idk how that could happen exactly like in that situation. I guess your just lucky idk go buy a lottery ticket or something
That exactly what it felt like I was on drive felt like it was on neutral.
Sponsored