1.5T CVT TRANSMISSION

fmoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
I bought my car brand new from Honda dealership around July 2017. It's a 2017 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan 1.5L CVT Turbocharged. I recently have driven over 76,000 miles and it is my only daily also. From day one of owning my car I have always followed the Maintenance Minder schedule with the sub codes whenever I have servicing done to my car at a shop. For some reason I never had the #3 sub code ever come up since owning my car brand new.

Now I am over 76,000 miles and I am due for an oil change now too but still the #3 sub code hasn't came up. #3 sub code means to replace the CVT Transmission Fluid. Should I wait till the Maintenance Minder shows the sub code #3 ? Or should I get it changed when I go in for an oil change in the next few days ? Thank You
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know why it never came up on the MM but you are severely behind schedule on a CVT fluid change. Schedule it tomorrow.

Realistically it should have been done a couple times already with with 76,000 miles on the clock. Being tuned, I changed mine at 20,000 miles.

OP
OP

fmoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
I don't know why it never came up on the MM but you are severely behind schedule on a CVT fluid change. Schedule it tomorrow.

Realistically it should have been done a couple times already with with 76,000 miles on the clock. Being tuned, I changed mine at 20,000 miles.
I will definitely be doing that and will be going with the Honda CVT Transmission Fluid HCF-2. Yeah I don't know why it still has never came up but it's weird but I always stay on top of the MM. Is there any issues if I do replace the CVT Transmission Fluid now? Like with it slipping due to staying in for a long time now?

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Nah. Just do it.

Chilly613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Sport Touring 6MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The minder never came up for me either. My Civic is at 39K so I just took it to Honda just this Friday to get it changed. $150 and an hour later my car's CVT is a lot smoother than it was. Might as well get it done as soon as you can and get the oil changed as well.

I found this site that has mileage/kilometers on when to change, not sure how accurate it is.

https://www.oildepot.ca/how-often-should-cvt-fluid-be-changed/

Last edited:

engineering

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
i heard code 3 for the CVT fluid is based off driving conditions like the oil life so if you’re doing a lot of highway driving you won’t see the code pop up for awhile. My drives are mostly on the highway and I haven’t seen the code yet (48k miles, which is about 78k kilometres) , I’d be curious to see when the code popped up for other members on the forum.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’d be curious to see when the code popped up for other members on the forum.
On the european Civics, the code for CVT fluid change pops up every two years or every 24,000 miles (40,000 kilometers), whatever comes first.

engineering

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
On the european Civics, the code for CVT fluid change pops up every two years or every 24,000 miles (40,000 kilometers), whatever comes first.
Interesting! I think the maintenance minder is programmed differently for different countries/regions.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@engineering
Yes it seems so. But I actually don't know why exactly. Because I always thought, the temperature and driving conditions are rougher in northern america, than in most parts of Europe. On the other hand, the europeans probably do a lot more short trips in the city and have more stop and go traffic?

Or maybe it's because of higher speeds on the Autobahn in Germany... I don't know.

engineering

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
@engineering
Yes it seems so. But I actually don't know why exactly. Because I always thought, the temperature and driving conditions are rougher in northern america, than in most parts of Europe. On the other hand, the europeans probably do a lot more short trips in the city and have more stop and go traffic?

Or maybe it's because of higher speeds on the Autobahn in Germany... I don't know.
Yeah, probably a mixture of stop and go driving as well as higher speeds on the auto bahn which results in earlier or more aggressive maintenance intervals.
Sponsored