@that_1redcivic

First Name
Milly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (CVT)
Country flag
(no CVT cooler) driving grandma style I’m summer 80F and above I see around 200+ in traffic, highway driving 150-170F. I would say WOT at 221F+ your risking slippage, that’s when I take it easy. But I have read on here some guy had his up to 270F so idk where the true failure point would be. Just imagine someone that doesn’t care beating on there stock civic flooring it constantly in Cali heat is probably seeing close to 250 anyway I would imagine so I think we’re all safe. I’ve seen 240F when I was on a road trip through WV mountains.
Sponsored

carboi

First Name
Anesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic coupe touring
Country flag
I have the ETL transmission oil cooler kit installed but I haven't monitored the temperatures like I had wanted to. I would imagine it helps a lot. I want to remove the little block grade thing where the driver's side fog light is. It is all closed and I want to either drill the holes open or install one where they are all open to get the air flowing to the etl tranny oil cooler kit.
Yeah I can't really drill holes or remove that as I have the Honda sensing sensors on that side. Has anyone installed it with the sensors in that place? I just want to make sure I have space to install it and that it works before I order it.

Linny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK6 1.0 (GONE) FK7 1.5T prestige (UK)
Country flag
Well, got my Lufi XF last night, did a 20mins commute to work this morning and the CVTF temp shows 59C. Is it a bit too low?
Honda Civic 10th gen Cvt transmission temp observation. WhatsApp Image 2023-06-02 at 08.39.11

verzachaye

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Well, got my Lufi XF last night, did a 20mins commute to work this morning and the CVTF temp shows 59C. Is it a bit too low?
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-02 at 08.39.11.jpeg
That sounds about right for a short-ish commute with no WOT pulls.

Bootleg Bill

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (CVT)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Usually see round 165°F to 175°F driving normal but pushing it 190°F to 205°F keep in mind I got a cvt cooler also normal cold start to work which is 12 minutes it's usually at 120°F to 130°F

Linny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK6 1.0 (GONE) FK7 1.5T prestige (UK)
Country flag
Thx guys~ Really helpful!
So, normally, at what temp you guys think is safe to do a WOT?

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Road trip observations
Cargo: me and a suitcase (225#)
Miles: 320
Terrain: Fairly flat
Speed: Cruise control set to 80mph for 4 hours, never needed to change speed.
Ambient temp: 95F
IAT: 105F
Coolant Temp: 190F
CVT Temp: 215F

Temp stayed between 210-215F for this leg of my trip. This was the middle leg of 1000 mile trip. Similar observations on the other two legs of the trip: slightly warmer temps with higher ambient temps and vice versa.

Last edited:

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve hit over 225F during the summer here in Cali and it’s been fine. Just gets really loud as usual.
What do you mean by loud? The CVT whine, wich almost sounds like a supercharger?

tigereyes

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic NA 2.0L
Country flag
Unless the laws of thermodynamics and physics are different in Pakistan then yes 220 degrees and above for any transmission fluid puts the life of the transmission in critical danger. Varnish will form at around 240 F and seals fail just past that temp so I'd say they are living on borrowed time if they are seeing temps that high in theirs.
Alright, this is a reason I hate these forms, but don't come here if you advice on cvt temps and BS. When driving my cvt has hit 269F even gone past a couple times. And most of the time it's running 240f. I drive a long distance often in scorching temps in a stock cvt 2020 hatchback, all I have is ktuner and upped the psi. I've even gotten it fully checked by dealer and they told me cvt is in the green meaning it's fine. They said it's hot but if your worried you can switch to a thicker cvt fluid. Not hating on you specifically. It's actually quite normal for these cvts to go past 220f. I think Honda did know these would be super hot. Cvts do suck and mine probably will fail around 100k miles, but they are cheap to make and replace that's why these cars have them

Honda Civic 10th gen Cvt transmission temp observation. Screenshot_20230802-120235

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd also say the temperatures you mentioned are normal.

Where I live, temperatures barely hit 100 degree F, so the CVT temperature will stay below 200 degree f most as the time, as long as you drive reasonable, without flooring like a mad man at every highway on-ramp.

Here is a CVT temp observation video from Europe, which also shows Fahrenheit:

Sponsored