CVT transmission fluid change locations?

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello, I've been searching around areas to get my CVT transmission fluid changed. I don't have the option to change it myself, so anyone know a good place to get it changed? I looked up Firestone and Pep-Boys. Pep-Boys is charging around $130 and $180 with a new filter. Is that a decent price? Are there any other locations? I live within the Raleigh/Wake Forest, North Carolina area, if anyone has a good shop that does CVT transmission fluid changes. My car has 40K miles on it and I've had it for 2.5 years. Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Just make sure that they use genuine Honda CVT oil. Generic oil doesn't cut it because every manufacturer designs their CVTs differently. I expect most of these places will promise that it is even if it isn't. I am only getting it done at a Honda dealership for piece of mind.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Get your quote for just a drain and fill. No need for a filter. A transmission is a closed system and the only contaminants that would ever be in there would be metal shavings.
I would highly recommend Hondas brand.
Maybe that will save you an additional $40....

OP
OP
9xArtanisx9

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just make sure that they use genuine Honda CVT oil. Generic oil doesn't cut it because every manufacturer designs their CVTs differently. I expect most of these places will promise that it is even if it isn't. I am only getting it done at a Honda dealership for piece of mind.
How much did they charge you at the Honda dealership?

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
@9xArtanisx9 I do not get those maint req’s done by mechanics. I simply do it myself.
FOUR qts of Honda CVT HCF-2 cost about $12.50/ea. If a Honda dealership is honest, they wouldn’t bill you for more than 45min service time + the fluid. So, you would be about $140 (tax included for that easy process.
That’s why many do it themselves.

Just get it done and have peace of mind.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
I haven't had it done yet so I don't know. But every Dealership will charge differently. As well, every Dealership has different quality mechanics. From inexperienced to Master Mechanics. You will have to research the Dealers in your area to find the best one. You don't want some inexperienced kid to do it wrong causing you to have to get a new transmission.

An alternative is if you have an independent mechanic that you trust, is for you to buy the Honda-recommended fluid yourself and bring it to him and pay your mechanic for the labor only.
Sponsored