CVT to a manual swap?

Sean2903

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Just curious what anyone has to say about this. I know Honda is going to make a manual varient of the turbo civicx (kinda upset i got the cvt one now lol).
Sponsored

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
Just curious what anyone has to say about this. I know Honda is going to make a manual varient of the turbo civicx (kinda upset i got the cvt one now lol).
I thinks it's going to be cheaper just to trade the car in for a 6 speed when it comes out.

WhatTheFun

Knows some stuff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
10x easier and wiser to just trade for a manual version. You would destroy your cars value if you put a different transmission in. I certainly would never buy a relatively new car that the owner swapped transmissions, especially when I can buy a factory version of the same thing.

johnnywatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Aegean Blue
It's probably doable, but I wouldn't do it.

I own a Touring, and AFAIK, Honda Sensing cannot be done on a manual version (no shit, since it can't downshift when it needs to slow down, or shift when it needs to speed up). I wouldn't trade HS for a stick shift, and this comes from a guy who's owned manual cars for every single previous car I've owned (5 of them).

OP
OP
Sean2903

Sean2903

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
i got to pick between an ex-l with HS or Navigation, i drive a lot like 2-3 hours a day but my dad told me when he got his honda with HS that all it did was beep at him all the time and bother him a lot. Whats your thoughts on the HS is it any good like what does it do to help with driving a lot. I picked the navigation because i'm always driving to new places and needed to always use my phone for navigation and apple maps got me lost maybe 3 out of 5 times haha

johnnywatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Aegean Blue
i got to pick between an ex-l with HS or Navigation, i drive a lot like 2-3 hours a day but my dad told me when he got his honda with HS that all it did was beep at him all the time and bother him a lot. Whats your thoughts on the HS is it any good like what does it do to help with driving a lot. I picked the navigation because i'm always driving to new places and needed to always use my phone for navigation and apple maps got me lost maybe 3 out of 5 times haha
Definitely not a desirable feature if you find technology annoying. It beeps at me, and everytime it does, it's for a damn good reason.

Plus you can actually turn all the beeping off (except for brake collision warning).

Personally, it has made my driving life so much easier it isn't even funny. Since getting delivery of the Touring, I've barely had to touch the brake/gas pedals. Only complaint is that it brakes a little too hard when it slows down.

Hondadude88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
It's probably doable, but I wouldn't do it.

I own a Touring, and AFAIK, Honda Sensing cannot be done on a manual version (no shit, since it can't downshift when it needs to slow down, or shift when it needs to speed up). I wouldn't trade HS for a stick shift, and this comes from a guy who's owned manual cars for every single previous car I've owned (5 of them).
I completely agree. Honda Sensing is awesome and a feature once you are used too, would be hard to give up. If you want a manual, wait for the Si or Type R!

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Use the money that you are going to spend on the swap and get a faster car.. with a manual transmission.

OP
OP
Sean2903

Sean2903

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Use the money that you are going to spend on the swap and get a faster car.. with a manual transmission.
yea i was thinking about just waiting awhile and saving up for a car i can actually work on and make a track car, leaning towards an older muscle car. maybe a mustang or a camaro. But i do have to say the Honda civic is a great DD and coming from a family that has only driven luxury cars lexus, bmw, audi, and such it handles pretty good.

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to post!!
Country flag
Bump this back up. Lets say im able to get this conversion done(😁) for the 1 5s, how many will actually be interested going through with it. I've seen parts go for:
Base 6 speed trans:900
Pedals 100
Shifter box, 50
Master cylinder:60
Clutch and flywheel is up to u whether u want to go stock or aftermarket
Clutch line at autozone is like 6 dollars
Slave can be easily accesed anywhere online.
The part that I feel would be hardest to access is a linkage.
As for labor, I'm still working on that price, lol.
do u guys still think it's cheaper to just swap vehicles still, after seeing these prices on these parts?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Parts prices are meaningless. It's the bottom line price including labor and installation.

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Bump this back up. Lets say im able to get this conversion done(😁) for the 1 5s, how many will actually be interested going through with it. I've seen parts go for:
Pedals 100
Shifter box, 50
do u guys still think it's cheaper to just swap vehicles still, after seeing these prices on these parts?
Going down this route you're looking at no warranty and low resell price. Nobody wants to buy another person's project car.

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
Don't forget about the computer swap, plus cost to encode the ECM to the vehicle and get it to talk with the BCM and other modules on the CAN.

Yeah, still cheaper to trade it in and get an Si or similar.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pedals 100
Shifter box, 50
You honestly think all the wiring and modules in the car aren’t also specific to transmission as well?
You might want to research that also.
Sponsored