CVT surging up and down

lunarsilver

Lunarsilver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext
Country flag
Do you have the PDF file you captured these pictures from? If so could you post it or message me and I'll give you an e-mail address to send it to. After over 10,000 miles this problem has shown up on my Civic now.
Sorry,no i dont,I got them off this site...this forums cvt surge problem...
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Seriously, between a few of us, we could run the service department of a Honda dealership!

Not sure what I'd do without this forum.
Ain't that the truth! Have to tell the dealers what to do to get their butts in gear...SMH :nono:

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I brought my Touring in today to get it's first oil change, subwoofer rattle and the famous surging issue. I had a list of other issues, but since this was my first dealer visit since buying the car, I would give them a short list. They called me about the surging issue and mentioned it was the turbo kicking in and out. I said it happens when CRUSING at highway speeds. I gave them the bulletin number A-6-16 and they said my car was already updated with that bulleting before I took delivery of the car March 20, 2016. So they want me to take their technician out for a spin with it.

So, I'm wondering...maybe my car has already been updated and perhaps it was much worse before. So, after you got yours updated, is the surging issue eliminated completely? My surging happens when I'm driving on a level highway at a constant speed, you can faintly notice the cars accelerating and decelerating at approx. 1 second intervals. I've even had a passenger tell me they notice the surging. The one thing I do notice is the RPM bounces about 50 RPM to match that surging.

What are your thoughts comparing it to your surging issue? Should this update eliminate it completely? If it was supposed to eliminate it completely and I still have it, chances are they are lying about that update being done or if it actually was done, maybe they didn't do it properly.
Exactly what mine was doing. To a tee. 50rpm up and down. After update it went away and totally drove like a different car! I think that your car didn't get the update...

bobbyboogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring - MSM
Country flag
Exactly what mine was doing. To a tee. 50rpm up and down. After update it went away and totally drove like a different car! I think that your car didn't get the update...
Either the dealer was lying to me or just playing games. They told me the A-6-16 was already installed, which I called BS on that. Anyway I drove it home on the highway and it's running smooth! No more surging! They did a pretty good job at fixing the subwoofer rattle too. Thanks for posting the Canadian version of the update NorthernEX-T

lunarsilver

Lunarsilver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext
Country flag
I brought my Touring in today to get it's first oil change, subwoofer rattle and the famous surging issue. I had a list of other issues, but since this was my first dealer visit since buying the car, I would give them a short list. They called me about the surging issue and mentioned it was the turbo kicking in and out. I said it happens when CRUSING at highway speeds. I gave them the bulletin number A-6-16 and they said my car was already updated with that bulleting before I took delivery of the car March 20, 2016. So they want me to take their technician out for a spin with it.

So, I'm wondering...maybe my car has already been updated and perhaps it was much worse before. So, after you got yours updated, is the surging issue eliminated completely? My surging happens when I'm driving on a level highway at a constant speed, you can faintly notice the cars accelerating and decelerating at approx. 1 second intervals. I've even had a passenger tell me they notice the surging. The one thing I do notice is the RPM bounces about 50 RPM to match that surging.

What are your thoughts comparing it to your surging issue? Should this update eliminate it completely? If it was supposed to eliminate it completely and I still have it, chances are they are lying about that update being done or if it actually was done, maybe they didn't do it properly.
Hi
You could go to them and say uninstall it then install it again.....or go to another dealer..
I bought my car in 12/15....surging like a car about to go out of gas....When to dealer
complained,went for test drive with srv.mngr. and his boss..
it didnt do squat.....after that visit i went on this forum and found out my problem
surging cvt at speed

bobbyboogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring - MSM
Country flag
Hi
You could go to them and say uninstall it then install it again.....or go to another dealer..
I bought my car in 12/15....surging like a car about to go out of gas....When to dealer
complained,went for test drive with srv.mngr. and his boss..
it didnt do squat.....after that visit i went on this forum and found out my problem
surging cvt at speed
Lunarsilver, because you are in the US, your TSB # is 16-028. Mention that to your dealer and they should be able to help you. If not, have the service manager contact Honda and have them mention that TSB #.

lunarsilver

Lunarsilver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext
Country flag
Lunarsilver, because you are in the US, your TSB # is 16-028. Mention that to your dealer and they should be able to help you. If not, have the service manager contact Honda and have them mention that TSB #.
Thx sir,I know I didn't say about having mine fixed. I did have it fixed back when it came out here in the states...thank bb

dannys1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
Country flag
Either the dealer was lying to me or just playing games. They told me the A-6-16 was already installed, which I called BS on that. Anyway I drove it home on the highway and it's running smooth! No more surging! They did a pretty good job at fixing the subwoofer rattle too. Thanks for posting the Canadian version of the update NorthernEX-T
can you tell me or do you know what they did to fix the sub rattle ? i heard its just the top plastic trimming of the rear braking light that vibrate to the rear window ?

dannys1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
Country flag
Thanks for the info. But not all dealers seem to be created equal. Verbal complaints about surging are being met by blank stares, followed by 'nope, no servic bulletin on that', followed by 'technician could not replicate the issue'.

Was there a TSB number associated with your software update? Or an update number? Or a version number? Anything I can use to 'help' the dealer?
they didnt have a TSB number at my dealer in Montreal , they had to check HONDA USA for the tsb number and the software upgrade

bobbyboogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring - MSM
Country flag
can you tell me or do you know what they did to fix the sub rattle ? i heard its just the top plastic trimming of the rear braking light that vibrate to the rear window ?
As far as I know there is no TSB for it as its not a potential safety concern. All you need to do is complain about it. As I mentioned in my previous post, the dealer did a good job fixing it. They did fix it good however whatever they did, didn't last very long. They must have used something with an adhesive backing which eventually broke down with the heat coming from the rear window because it's rattling again. :/

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
they didnt have a TSB number at my dealer in Montreal , they had to check HONDA USA for the tsb number and the software upgrade
That's interesting, the dealers I've gone to claim they can't even access the USA systems. In post #464, @NorthernEX-T posted his work order for Canadian bulletin A-6-16. I went to a few different dealers to ask about it. One did a "thorough" search but couldn't find it, until I suggested they type in the bulletin number. When they finally found it, they told me it would take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, it's a 'hook it up, sit and wait for it to finish'. I went to another dealer, they said they're pretty sure they have it, but a technician would have to take the car out, verify the issue, bring it back, apply the update, then take it out again. Anywhere from 2-4 hours. And by the way, no courtesy car. Wow.

It seems very few dealers have actually done this update, probably because it only affects the turbo models that were produced before the fix came out at the factory. My confidence level isn't exactly high, but I will eventually work up the nerve to get the update. Maybe with my next oil change.

bobbyboogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring - MSM
Country flag
That's interesting, the dealers I've gone to claim they can't even access the USA systems. In post #464, @NorthernEX-T posted his work order for Canadian bulletin A-6-16. I went to a few different dealers to ask about it. One did a "thorough" search but couldn't find it, until I suggested they type in the bulletin number. When they finally found it, they told me it would take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, it's a 'hook it up, sit and wait for it to finish'. I went to another dealer, they said they're pretty sure they have it, but a technician would have to take the car out, verify the issue, bring it back, apply the update, then take it out again. Anywhere from 2-4 hours. And by the way, no courtesy car. Wow.

It seems very few dealers have actually done this update, probably because it only affects the turbo models that were produced before the fix came out at the factory. My confidence level isn't exactly high, but I will eventually work up the nerve to get the update. Maybe with my next oil change.
The poster was asking about the subwoofer fix to which there is no TSB number. A-6-16 is the Canadian TSB for the surging issue.