CVT surging up and down

rv13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic Touring
Hi
Thank you for sharing Surging issue and some one had nice post of battery cable reset. it works. How long it will last i m monitoring.
I had same Surging issue. fuel efficiancy was down. it had hesitation on getting good speed. engine noise but not moving forward well and speed back and forth. exactly like YOU TUBE video by few peoples. So to fix REMOVED BATTERY CABLE AND KEPT 30 MIN. RE JOINED battery cable (Black was easy to handle). It rebooted Car Computer. Kept car out side for satellite access. followed instruction on power out and now restart system. after restarting system drived the car 100km and the SURGING ISSUE was gone (The car hesitated to start for 2 min then waited to restart and it worked). Looks this is widespread issue and most delears + Honda Head office try and fool the customers. as it can be fixed in minutes. Software issue looks like and update needed. I live in Alliston where this car made. But getting long run to fix first stereo system 5 times to delear till complaint to Honda head office 20 emails and 30 calls. Hope this will help.
Sponsored

PhotoVoltaire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In my experience, the surging always came back after 600-1000 miles. Honda eventually came out with an update that permanently resolved it, though. I've gone over 10,000 miles since updating, and it's still as smooth as butter.

Hi
Thank you for sharing Surging issue and some one had nice post of battery cable reset. it works. How long it will last i m monitoring.
I had same Surging issue. fuel efficiancy was down. it had hesitation on getting good speed. engine noise but not moving forward well and speed back and forth. exactly like YOU TUBE video by few peoples. So to fix REMOVED BATTERY CABLE AND KEPT 30 MIN. RE JOINED battery cable (Black was easy to handle). It rebooted Car Computer. Kept car out side for satellite access. followed instruction on power out and now restart system. after restarting system drived the car 100km and the SURGING ISSUE was gone (The car hesitated to start for 2 min then waited to restart and it worked). Looks this is widespread issue and most delears + Honda Head office try and fool the customers. as it can be fixed in minutes. Software issue looks like and update needed. I live in Alliston where this car made. But getting long run to fix first stereo system 5 times to delear till complaint to Honda head office 20 emails and 30 calls. Hope this will help.

RDMerBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
In my experience, the surging always came back after 600-1000 miles. Honda eventually came out with an update that permanently resolved it, though. I've gone over 10,000 miles since updating, and it's still as smooth as butter.
Yes, same experience here. Honda's software patch (applied by Kingsway Honda here in Vancouver) took care of it and I have over 30,000 km on the car now with no surging.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Yes, same experience here. Honda's software patch (applied by Kingsway Honda here in Vancouver) took care of it and I have over 30,000 km on the car now with no surging.
Same here. Been perfect since the summer.

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
Never noticed the surging thing, but I have a 2L NA. I suspect the surging might only be associated with the 1.5T. Anyone with a 2L NA have surging ?

somarilnos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Never noticed the surging thing, but I have a 2L NA. I suspect the surging might only be associated with the 1.5T. Anyone with a 2L NA have surging ?
It was a CVT issue, so pretty sure it wasn't specific to the 1.5T. With that in mind, how recently did you get your 2.0? If it's since the fix, chances are they applied it before delivery.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
It was a CVT issue, so pretty sure it wasn't specific to the 1.5T. With that in mind, how recently did you get your 2.0? If it's since the fix, chances are they applied it before delivery.
It was a turbo issue. Did not affect the 2.0 NA engine. The title of this thread is misleading. There is another thread in this forum covering the topic in better detail.

OP
OP

klm57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord, 2015 Chevy Equinox
I started this thread and mine was updated early summer. Its been butter smooth every since. They also replaced the head unit on the display. Everything has been working great and no problems with the infotainment system. I'm very happy with this car! I will have 20K on it before weeks out.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I started this thread and mine was updated early summer. Its been butter smooth every since. They also replaced the head unit on the display. Everything has been working great and no problems with the infotainment system. I'm very happy with this car! I will have 20K on it before weeks out.
Not sure if the forum allows, but you could try changing the title to indicate that the issue only affects the 1.5L Turbo.

wristbrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic (LX)
I just bought a '16 civic EX-T, mine has the surging tranny also between speeds 45-77, but I just bought it... shouldn't the car already have been updated? The update came out in march. Why am I having this issue

lunarsilver

Lunarsilver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext
Country flag
I just bought a '16 civic EX-T, mine has the surging tranny also between speeds 45-77, but I just bought it... shouldn't the car already have been updated? The update came out in march. Why am I having this issue
Just bring it to the service dept. Attention, they will fix it....

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
its not a recall, if a customer doesnt state that it has this problem. they will not do the update

wristbrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic (LX)
its not a recall, if a customer doesnt state that it has this problem. they will not do the update
Thanks, I guess I feel like if there's an issue with all of them, they would have fixed it by now, rendering the update unnecessary. I'll take it in as soon as I can.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Thanks, I guess I feel like if there's an issue with all of them, they would have fixed it by now, rendering the update unnecessary. I'll take it in as soon as I can.
Ur car could have been sitting there for a few months.... Its normal...

drew2you

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T; 2015 Pilot Touring
Given that it has now been confirmed that the issue is indeed due to faulty learning values in the TCM software, it makes curious whether there's anything that those who've experienced the issue might have in common. The service bulletin seems to suggest that the faulty software is present in all turbo models, however leaves vague whether all cars would eventually be affected. I'm wondering if the way the software 'learns to be bad' might have something to do with an individual's driving style, or maybe the ratio of city/highway driving during that time span, or something else, or whatever. Such that the issue is not guaranteed to surface for all, but can be reproduced over a certain number of miles with certain driving parameters, common enough to account for the number of reports seen online, but uncommon enough to have not been caught during Honda's pre-release quality testing.

Maybe it comes from driving slightly aggressive? Maybe it comes from driving too conservative? Maybe it comes from spending 80% of the time at highway speeds? A period of time carrying around heavier cargo? Too many left turns? No idea, just curious thinking about it. /nerd

Anyway, it's all a moot point now that the fix is out, so hopefully this particular complaint fades to a distant memory before too long.
2016 EX-T bought in Dec 2015.

It took mine almost a year and a half and almost 18,000 miles to rear its ugly head. I used to commute 90 miles round trip and mostly highway with cruise control set at 74mph. My wife has driven the car for the past 9 months since I have been out of town all that time. She has a completely different driving style than I do, she guns it most of the time whereas I gently get up to speed, I shoot for maximum MPG. She has no concern for MPG and likes the Turbo and fast starts, she also has a lead foot.

I'm glad I found this thread. Thank you for all of your updates. I will definitely make this forum my first stop from now on.
Sponsored