CVT rubberband at low speeds

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
2019 base model Civic sedan with the 2.0 N/A motor mated up to the CVT.
10,000 miles on the clock.
Mostly a commuter shitbox until the virus arrived.
Operating temperature was normal.
No noises, leaks or any signs of trouble.

For the first time since owning the car, I found myself in stop and go traffic on a 95 degree day. The car also had 3 passengers aboard for the first time and when we first started out, everything worked as it normally does.

About 40 minutes into my stop and go traffic situation, I noticed that the CVT felt like it was slightly rubberbanding at low RPMs only. Once the tack rose above 1,700, everything started to smooth out again.

I've heard that these CVTs are not big fans of high heat. Are they notorious for rubberbanding as described above? This exact scenario was one of my fears when buying a CVT for the first time. I have no experience or comparison to any other CVT so I have no idea if what I'm experiencing is just the nature of the beast. My 2009 Civic with a regular automatic trans laughed at situations like this. It has me kinda bummed out.

What do you think? Normal?
Sponsored

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you mean rubberband like it would lurch back n forth briefly while you were accelerating at low speed?

I had a '13 Accord and it did that time to time and I just assumed that it was just normal CVT behavior. The Civic that I have now doesnt do that however... but that may be because I purchased the Ktuner almost immediately after getting the Civic

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
just bought a 2018 coupe with the same drivetrain a few months ago.no issues in steamy central florida that ive noticed...

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I'm just gonna' guess that, with the added weight, the computer was doing its thing measuring torque, pressures, throttle input, RPMs, etc... and making the adjustment.

I don't like it either.

OP
OP
TheHorse13

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
Do you mean rubberband like it would lurch back n forth briefly while you were accelerating at low speed?

I had a '13 Accord and it did that time to time and I just assumed that it was just normal CVT behavior. The Civic that I have now doesnt do that however... but that may be because I purchased the Ktuner almost immediately after getting the Civic
That's precisely it. And like you noticed with your car, the behavior comes and goes. This went away at night when the temps went down into the 70s.

I guess this is just how these damn things work. Ah well.

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's precisely it. And like you noticed with your car, the behavior comes and goes. This went away at night when the temps went down into the 70s.

I guess this is just how these damn things work. Ah well.
Honestly, it might be... Now that I think about it I remember seeing a post about this on the Accord forums way back when and I think someone said it more so happens with extremely light throttle application and to try and "encourage" the pedal a little more than usual. Worst case maybe a transmission fluid change? Sorry I wish I could give you a definitive answer :(

OP
OP
TheHorse13

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
The car is only just now turning 10k miles. The fluid looks and smells fine. I did check that as a matter of old habits dying hard.

And yes, the condition is there with very light throttle application which is what was going in with the stop and go traffic I was trapped in. After some sleuthing I've discovered that this is just the nature of the beast. Others have noticed this exact same thing when they got a CVT for the first time. I guess I will just stomp the gas pedal a little more from now on.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I don't know about the CVT specifically, but the manual also has a pretty bad rubberbanding problem at low speeds in first gear due to the super soft motor mounts. It's why a rear motor mount upgrade is a super popular mod.

You might consider if there are any options to get something a bit stiffer for the CVT, like maybe the Perrin motor mount inserts or something.

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sedan Sport
Country flag
I actually have the same problem recently, when I speed up a hill lets say in low rpms, the cvt jerks a bit and its pretty sketch.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
This is one thing I have noticed ever since I first got the car 3 years ago. It improved slightly after the first CVT fluid change, but is still present. It almost feels being being bumped by another car in the rear bumper. It only occurs at low rpms and less than 20mph or coasting.

OP
OP
TheHorse13

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
This is one thing I have noticed ever since I first got the car 3 years ago. It improved slightly after the first CVT fluid change, but is still present. It almost feels being being bumped by another car in the rear bumper. It only occurs at low rpms and less than 20mph or coasting.
You nailed it.

I thought that the heat was the issue and the added bodies in the car. Turns out it was just the very low RPM crawling for so long that had me notice.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
You nailed it.

I thought that the heat was the issue and the added bodies in the car. Turns out it was just the very low RPM crawling for so long that had me notice.
There have been people who have posted about this in the past. Usually the threads are called "jerky transmission" or something to that extent. A lot of members have had it, it is nothing new.

I used to have a Toyota Prius in the past which also has a CVT transmission as well and it never had the jerkiness at any RPMs although the brake issue (made the news in 2009) was present on the car which is a different issue all together.

My suggestion is to get your CVT fluid changed at 50,000 miles or less and to do it periodically. Hopefully the CVT is reliable in the long run.

OP
OP
TheHorse13

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
If this is all the CVT does and it lasts for 10 years then I'm happy. I guess I will find out.

Thanks everyone.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I don't see it. Actually I'm rather amazed how smoothly my transmission works at crawling speeds and how it starts rolling very slowly as it should without pressing the pedal. But I rarely have anyone else in the car. I had three people besides me only one time in 2.5 years.

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't see it. Actually I'm rather amazed how smoothly my transmission works at crawling speeds and how it starts rolling very slowly as it should without pressing the pedal. But I rarely have anyone else in the car. I had three people besides me only one time in 2.5 years.
Yeah when it happens it almost feels like the car is about to stall. It's actually quite irritating.
Sponsored