Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Solution is it's normal lol!

I had a 17 sport hatch for 70k miles and a 19 touring hatch for 38k now and it's just the trans. It's not really crazy jerky it's just the CVT "adjusting itself" if you will. It makes sense when you think about it, it still has to disengage and engage similar to other transmissions even though it's a different concept. I mean even with stick you have to know on your car particularly how fast to engage/disengage the gas and clutch to get that super smooth transition, I think it is the same here it just does not matter as the computer will figure out how to make it work.

This is just my opinion, but I don't know that it's possible to make a trans that is 100% butter smooth all the time no matter the situation, I think that's asking too much. For how well these things perform especially with the stress some people put them through, I think the little bit of hesitation/jerkiness we are talking about basically only around coming to a stop or taking off is marginal and not worth any fuss.

highroller

First Name
U Hash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo
Country flag
Not all CVTs act like this... moreover not all honda CVTs act like this

croozer2000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Sorry that this comes years later. Change the CVT oil night and day difference!!!!!! I had the rough shifting with breaking and low speed acceleration. Almost like jerking. After doing a CVT oil change I can sip my wine and drive without spilling. Lol

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Change the CVT oil night and day difference!!!!!! I had the rough shifting with breaking and low speed acceleration. Almost like jerking. After doing a CVT oil change I can sip my wine and drive without spilling. Lol
Liveability improved 100%, nothing is worse than a car interior marred by red wine.

After how many years and miles/kilometers did you replace the fluid?

Last edited:
First Name
Donovan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Why are people saying there is not a clutch in an automatic or cvt transmission.... Just because it's not a clutch assembly like a manual transmission. CVTs, DCTs and some traditional automatics do indeed have clutches. Hell, LSD also have clutches. Lol as for your issue... It's normal, my advice is to get AMSoil cvt fluid and every 3 months for a year change ur cvt fluid. It will be a night and day difference. Also less heat meaning longer life.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@poptartaddict87
I think the CVT doesn't have a clutch, it has a torque converter, but I could be wrong about that.

I change my CVT oil every other year or every 24,000 miles and never felt a huge difference after that.
Sponsored