First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic sport
Country flag
Hey everyone!
I want to know if someone could help me figure out something. I have a 2020 civic sedan sport, so I’m stuck with the cvt. I want this to be my daily as I have other projects in mind. Because of where I live, I want to keep my daily an automatic. Is there a good auto transmission I could swap I to my civic? End power goal i want for the car is about 250-300 whp.
Sponsored

@that_1redcivic

First Name
Milly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (CVT)
Country flag
Hey everyone!
I want to know if someone could help me figure out something. I have a 2020 civic sedan sport, so I’m stuck with the cvt. I want this to be my daily as I have other projects in mind. Because of where I live, I want to keep my daily an automatic. Is there a good auto transmission I could swap I to my civic? End power goal i want for the car is about 250-300 whp.
You can push 250 HP out of a CVT. Torque is what kills CVT, from what I've gathered from forums is anything over 250 Torque kills CVT life. I mean I cant give you an exact auto transmission to swap, DCT's are great for pushing more power, that's why many automatic performance vehicles use them. However, DCT's shift slower when compared to CVT (obviously). I would stick with CVT to be honest or trade in for a stick civic if you want upwards towards 300HP. The CVT's in Hondas and Toyotas are the best and most reliable CVT's on the market. Our CVT even uses a real gear as first gear and is not belt driven if that makes sense. They are good.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey everyone!
Short answer:

No.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Our CVT even uses a real gear as first gear and is not belt driven if that makes sense.
Tell me more! This is amazing.

Seriously though, where are you coming up with this? There's a torque converter. No actual real gears. And our CVT is belt driven.

Last edited:

@that_1redcivic

First Name
Milly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Tell me more! This is amazing.

Seriously though, where are you coming up with this? There's a torque converter. No actual real gears. And our CVT is belt driven.
@gtman I was watching a Scotty Kilmer video and he was talking about CVT's in Honda's and Yoda's and mentioned that all of them use a gear for first gear that way our belts don't burn up as fast.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
@gtman I was watching a Scotty Kilmer video and he was talking about CVT's in Honda's and Yoda's and mentioned that all of them use a gear for first gear that way our belts don't burn up as fast.
There is no "first gear" in a CVT. There is a forward clutch, a final drive which transfers power from the CVT metal belt to the differential, and that is it. If there was a first gear, how would it shift to a belt?

@that_1redcivic

First Name
Milly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There is no "first gear" in a CVT. There is a forward clutch, a final drive which transfers power from the CVT metal belt to the differential, and that is it. If there was a first gear, how would it shift to a belt?
It is possible to have a CVT with a first gear or "launch gear", Toyota uses them. As far as Honda using them I guess is up in the air I cant find anywhere saying 100% or not the 18+ Honda CVT's have them, I'm assuming not or it would be all over this forum. I don't know if Scotty is right or misspoke.

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Scotty is mistaken when it comes to Honda. I do recall Toyota using a design with a gear for taking off from a stop.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
It is possible to have a CVT with a first gear or "launch gear", Toyota uses them. As far as Honda using them I guess is up in the air I cant find anywhere saying 100% or not the 18+ Honda CVT's have them, I'm assuming not or it would be all over this forum. I don't know if Scotty is right or misspoke.
I'm telling you the Hondas do not. I have the diagram right in front of me.

Once you add a fixed gear it's also not technically a CVT anymore, its a belt driven automatic since it can't be "continually variable" with a fixed first gear.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
@that_1redcivic... I've been here since 2015, have the 10th gen powertrain press kit right in front of me, and no, 10000000%, there is no first gear in our CVTs.

Scotty the screamer must be confusing the Civic CVT with the one in the current gen Corolla.

From Wikipedia...

"Toyota brands the K120 as the “Direct Shift” CVT and includes a physical first gear (also known as a "launch gear") and nine additional simulated gears, for a total of 10. The launch gear is engaged when the car takes off from being stopped and transitions to the belt drive once the car picks up speed. The benefit of this system is that traditional CVTs tend to have low efficiency in lower gear ratios (creating a moment of sluggishness when starting from a stop). Since the belts in this CVT are handling a more narrow band of gear ratios, belt angles and loads can be reduced, increasing shift speeds and offering a claimed 6% improvement in fuel efficiency."
Sponsored