First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Where did you see that the EX-T has the larger Accord CVT? Was it the sedan and coups or hatchback?
Empyrean,
I read a bunch of reviews on line prior to buying my car, and it was in one of the articles I read. It might have been an article specifically about the Honda CVT. If I can find it, I will add a link. I don't remember the source, and I can't verify if it is 100% correct. Maybe some else on this forum will confirm this. I believe it said all Civics with CVT and turbo engines got the slightly larger CVT used in the Accord.

JP
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Hey guys with long commutes, don't get excessively defensive or some even offensive without any reason. Did I say that driving for hours is wrong or immoral? Not in my religion. I myself do all my thinking when driving. When I do fly I don't read silly thick books, watch movies or pull out a laptop but stare at the ceiling and think for 6 hours or whatever it takes. That's why I'm so smart. :yes: Whenever I can I rent a car and drive even 2000 miles for three days instead of flying, which gives me even more leisure and thinking time.

Which doesn't change the fact, that in big cites the "fast pace" is only one side of the coin and for only some people. The other for masses of employees is waiting, sitting, walking between train and bus stations, standing and more waiting. It is amazing to observe in such giants like Tokyo huge crowds of people in trains and waiting for trains, waiting again for lights, buses, trains, and then waiting again in long lines for a donut or a coffee, while constantly fiddling with their phones, watching videos and texting or reading phone book-sized comic "novels". Those in cars are also mostly seen waiting, and I some of them are even reading these comic books while on red lights.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
You don't just sit there when you hit a jam. You find a way to blow through the jam and get to the destination on time. There are sections of my daily commute feels like a slow version of Morocco street Grand Prix mix with SUV, trucks, minivan and old camry...pack as hel! but everyone is looking for the changing lane spot to get ahead. It is obvious that Cops more than likely to turn a blind eye to speeder during rush hours.
If you can do that, it's not a real jam. :D When a real jam happens on a freeway or an exit somewhere around San Francisco all you can do is to turn off the car and have a nap.:sleep:

Baime

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Empyrean,
I read a bunch of reviews on line prior to buying my car, and it was in one of the articles I read. It might have been an article specifically about the Honda CVT. If I can find it, I will add a link. I don't remember the source, and I can't verify if it is 100% correct. Maybe some else on this forum will confirm this. I believe it said all Civics with CVT and turbo engines got the slightly larger CVT used in the Accord.

JP

Baime

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Empyrean, it came from this forum from 3moons. the turbo cvt is different, but designed the same as the new accord cvt.
From 3Moons:

I did just find this about the 2016 CVT for the turbo. Amazing what you can find when you know to look. :)

Continuously Variable Transmission for 1.5L Turbo
Turbo Civic models offer a CVT that is an evolution of the CVT transmission that is offered in Accord 4-cylinder models. In this application, the transmission's final gear ratio is 4.69-percent taller than the Accord CVT on which it's based, to allow for lower engine rpm while cruising. A new generation of G-Design shift logic aids acceleration and has a more familiar driving feel. A new turbine twin-damper design for the torque converter provides tighter control and helps reduce turbocharger lag as the vehicle accelerates.
JP

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
So much worrying is going on here. CVT issue fuel dilution and so on.
Just get model your heart desire and drive the piss out of it. So much hype about CVT or manual. My salesman told me that they sell 20:1 CVT vs manuals.
I got tired of the manual and shifting. Now the CVT has grown on my but more importantly, I will not buy another car without adaptive cruise control. Does Honda even sell A.C.C. with manuals trans? On my long commute, I love to slap on the ACC + ECO mode, makes it nice and smooth.

As far as CVT issues. If you are in the USA, no worries. We like to class action lawsuits. If Honda made a shitty CVT, they will regret it. I made out good $$$ with the VW diesel. #dieselgate, $6000 extra in the pocket + drove the car for a year for free. F.it.

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
So much worrying is going on here. CVT issue fuel dilution and so on.
Just get model your heart desire and drive the piss out of it. So much hype about CVT or manual. My salesman told me that they sell 20:1 CVT vs manuals.
I got tired of the manual and shifting. Now the CVT has grown on my but more importantly, I will not buy another car without adaptive cruise control. Does Honda even sell A.C.C. with manuals trans? On my long commute, I love to slap on the ACC + ECO mode, makes it nice and smooth.

As far as CVT issues. If you are in the USA, no worries. We like to class action lawsuits. If Honda made a shitty CVT, they will regret it. I made out good $$$ with the VW diesel. #dieselgate, $6000 extra in the pocket + drove the car for a year for free. F.it.
I dont think the worrying for the cvt comes from honda, it comes from the fact people want to tune but are worried for the cvt.

Robotaz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Considering the overall transmission reliability issue in the US, the Honda CVT is going to be way down the list of transmissions with issues. That doesn’t mean one can’t die on you, but it’s going to be rare.

michelucha

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-L 2015
I drive a Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 2015 with 37k miles on it. Every service was done on time and I never rejected any suggested work on it.

One day while driving I noticed a minor shaking of the car while going under 40mph. I thought there were pebbles on the road or something like that. Unfortunately about 5 minutes after that the car lost all its power. It was so hard to make it go forward after coming to a complete stop. It would shake very bad as I pressed on the gas pedal and would have no power to go forward. I barely made it to a parking lot and had to call a tow truck.

At the Honda dealer they found pieces of metal attached to the transmission plug. Transmission is completely gone.

I was very lucky that this was still under warranty because it would have been >$6K to get it fixed. At 37K miles though, it does not seem like the transmission would be close to failing. I got this car due to its long known history of reliability and honestly, I feel like I would not buy another civic again. Scared the new transmission will fail under 40K miles again (and out of warranty at that point). I had thought of keeping this car forever, but started looking at newer cars for the near future thanks to this issue.

Honda Civic 10th gen CVT reliability in a long term transmission_plug.JPG

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I drive a Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 2015 with 37k miles on it. Every service was done on time and I never rejected any suggested work on it.

One day while driving I noticed a minor shaking of the car while going under 40mph. I thought there were pebbles on the road or something like that. Unfortunately about 5 minutes after that the car lost all its power. It was so hard to make it go forward after coming to a complete stop. It would shake very bad as I pressed on the gas pedal and would have no power to go forward. I barely made it to a parking lot and had to call a tow truck.

At the Honda dealer they found pieces of metal attached to the transmission plug. Transmission is completely gone.

I was very lucky that this was still under warranty because it would have been >$6K to get it fixed. At 37K miles though, it does not seem like the transmission would be close to failing. I got this car due to its long known history of reliability and honestly, I feel like I would not buy another civic again. Scared the new transmission will fail under 40K miles again (and out of warranty at that point). I had thought of keeping this car forever, but started looking at newer cars for the near future thanks to this issue.

transmission_plug.JPG

What are you going to buy next?

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
What are you going to buy next?
Whatever he/she is getting next, if you give me about 20 seconds I can post a scary picture of a failure of a major component of that brand or model. (thanks Google).
Point is, we need zoom out to look at the brand in general, where does it stand compared to others.
You could get a BMW a luxury brand, precision, expensive, high performance parts and they can and will fail miserably and often. Every machine with moving parts will fail.
Michelucha just got a bad apple.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
Whatever he/she is getting next, if you give me about 20 seconds I can post a scary picture of a failure of a major component of that brand or model. (thanks Google).
Point is, we need zoom out to look at the brand in general, where does it stand compared to others.
You could get a BMW a luxury brand, precision, expensive, high performance parts and they can and will fail miserably and often. Every machine with moving parts will fail.
Michelucha just got a bad apple.
True, Honda sells 5 million cars a year. Probably a VERY small percentage have transmission failure.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
anyone who spends three hours a day or more commuting back and forth to work places no value on their time(or their life). Either move closer to work or get a closer job. Really people, it's only money. Someone once said "no one who was ever lying on their deathbed ever thought to themselves "I wish I would have spent more time at work" Think about this. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life. Stop wasting your life in traffic or at work.

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
anyone who spends three hours a day or more commuting back and forth to work places no value on their time(or their life). Either move closer to work or get a closer job. Really people, it's only money. Someone once said "no one who was ever lying on their deathbed ever thought to themselves "I wish I would have spent more time at work" Think about this. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life. Stop wasting your life in traffic or at work.
Good point, but easier said then done. Could be family reasons or housing cost why this isn't feasible. I know people that have gotten a rented room for Tues to Thurs to avoid that looong daily commute.
Sponsored