CVT or Manual, Change my mind

16LXMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6MT
Country flag
Driving manual allows me to feel physically connected to the road and offers what little pleasure a car like a plain jane civic can.

Do you need any other reason to drive manual?
Sponsored

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I'll vouch for the shift paddles helping a LOT to make the CVT more palatable for manual-trained drivers like myself. If I want to preselect a shorter gear ratio, it's there with just a click or three. It also can't misshift, and it hardly takes any longer to "downshift" than it takes to take a manual out of gear, double-clutch, rev-match, and put it back into gear.

For my wife's CR-V, and the way she drives, its CVT is the shiznit. It's so smooth, without the gearing steps that a traditional automatic has, that I can't imagine going back to a non-CVT for her purposes.

It's like CVT transmissions are best able to address the shortcomings of internal combustion engines. Instead of the engine having to drift into and out of its powerband, it can stay at the best RPM for what it's being asked to do.
Since this thread got bumped, I'm quoting my post from two years ago to say that my view of the CVT hasn't changed. I still think it's a great option for daily driving, better than a manual or a traditional automatic.

I also still think it's one of the last incremental improvements that might extend the useful life of internal combustion engines as a category. Less wasted fuel, and lower emissions, because it helps the ECU run the engine only as hard as it needs to go at any time. Beyond this, and maybe lean-burn engines like Honda's old CRX HF, I don't know what else can be done to improve environmental impact before switching to electric.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Are you waiting for an 11th gen Si hatch, would that be your next car?
That would be #1 on my short list. I also have to say the upcoming AWD Mazda 3 turbo sounds interesting but no manual option and it's pricey.

Diamond Ned

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I did it, though it was a 2017 6mT sport hatch not a CVT. The Sport 6mT is nice but the Si is much nicer, it feels more solid and is a joy to row. Some manuals aren't that great - like a GTI or a Mazda Miata or 3 - but Honda and BMW make fantastic feeling manuals.
What kind of hit did you take trading it in? I paid 18k and assuming i would get 16k if i traded in, then the Si is 23k, plus tax. I might just wait for a Si Hatch next gen.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
I really wish the 8-speed in the Acura ILX was an option in the Civic. I absolutely love the 6-speed DSG automatic in our GTI... the CVT leaves a lot to be desired compared it.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
What kind of hit did you take trading it in? I paid 18k and assuming i would get 16k if i traded in, then the Si is 23k, plus tax. I might just wait for a Si Hatch next gen.
I got $11,500 from Carmax (dealer reluctantly matched it), with 88k miles and $1500 or so in paint/bumper damage, plus missing original Sport wheels. Was thrilled with that trade-in.

I think the 6mT helped trade-in though.

tough to get $23k deal on an Si right now - I got like $24,500. Could have got better on a white one.
Sponsored