CVT or Manual, Change my mind

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I test drove a 2016 CVT they let me have it for a couple hours.Hated it so much that I settled for an LX mt coupe because that was the only trim level that offered 6mt. All the higher trims were CVT in 2016. I thought I might regret getting the bottom of the line, but turns out I love the car. Really fun to drive.Best of all under 20 grand. While it may not actually be faster than the CVT it sure feels faster. And the NA 2.0 engine is, IMO, an excellent engine. The gears are too short, but it's not a problem unless you want to go 90. At 70mph the rpm's are fine. And I'm thinking maybe the turbo and CVT may have problems down the road, although obviously I don't know that. I'm 66 ,had a lot of cars,and I believe this is the best best car I ever had. Not the most expensive,but the best. I've had expensive cars that were junk.
Sponsored

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
As a Coupe owner, I wonder why this form factor has gone out of style?

When I was learning to drive, if you were that guy with a 4-door in the high school parking lot it meant you were driving your parent's car.

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag

When I was learning to drive, if you were that guy with a 4-door in the high school parking lot it meant you were driving your parent's car.
Well high school is only 4 years and most people only drive for 2 of them. ;)

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag

What do mean why? There is many good reasons. No one wants a coupe! The statistic shows it and manufactures done their research and hopefully will fully phase it out... for ever.
Coupes are ugly, can't get anything in the back seat area, you are swinging that larger door around everytime you are getting in and out. When you have more than one passenger, no one wants to ride with you because you have to be a small size child to get in the back seat. Did I say nothing will fit in the back behind the driver? I mean nothing, not even a f..ng napkin. :)
Can't think of one advantage why would you not want a 4 door?
In high school if you drove a coupe usually that meant you were a loaner, no friends, no pets, nothing. :)

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
CVT. Comes with Remote start and honda sensing package. I also really like the brake hold feature with a CVT. If you are into going about traffic in a zippy fashion, a Ktuner will put your CVT into the low 14's tune only... which is faster than a stock Si for comparison.

If you are convinced you are doing the world a favor and saving the manuals, and enjoy rowing your own, dont need factory remote start, or any of the semi autonomous features that come with honda sensing package... then go the prehistoric route and get a manual!

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
pointless arguing about manual or CVT.
3% of the cars sold in the USA are MT. Get with the program man!
just kidding.
THe best setup is to have one of each. On most days I appreciate the comfort and easy of the CVT provide. Just floor it and hold it. No jerking shifting and f...ng around. Love the adaptive cruise. Also, my right hand is free to do whatever...eat, drink, girlfriend, boy friend, pizza.. :) whatever...
Some days it is fun to mesh some gears. One day... maybe... I will justify having a second car VW GTI 2.0T MT.

Robotaz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
What do mean why? There is many good reasons. No one wants a coupe! The statistic shows it and manufactures done their research and hopefully will fully phase it out... for ever.
Coupes are ugly, can't get anything in the back seat area, you are swinging that larger door around everytime you are getting in and out. When you have more than one passenger, no one wants to ride with you because you have to be a small size child to get in the back seat. Did I say nothing will fit in the back behind the driver? I mean nothing, not even a f..ng napkin. :)
In high school if you drove a coupe usually that meant you were a loaner, no friends, no pets, nothing. :)
You really believe the Si sedan is better looking than the Si coupe? That's hard for me to believe.

I love the bigger doors where there's no pillar next to my head. I'm 6'-2" though.

And I love the excuse that I have a coupe so I never have to deal with back seat passengers.

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
CVT is good if you share your car with someone who is not into manual gearing... I own LX with CVT so me, my mom and my wife can share the car when we need to, car is still pretty fun to drive, it shifts without any issues, good gas savings as well... if I need manual it has to be exotic or real sports car. (I owned nearly 20 cars in my life like 70% were manual)

Last edited:

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You really believe the Si sedan is better looking than the Si coupe? That's hard for me to believe.

I love the bigger doors where there's no pillar next to my head. I'm 6'-2" though.

And I love the excuse that I have a coupe so I never have to deal with back seat passengers.
Si sedan indeed looks better and sportier than coupe though :)

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
:popcorn:

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

The coupe looks good, but that's all it really has going for it. It's not any smaller/lighter/more performant than the sedan, so why give up the practicality of four doors?

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
If you need four doors you can go ahead and call an Uber.

Robotaz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
The coupe looks good, but that's all it really has going for it. It's not any smaller/lighter/more performant than the sedan, so why give up the practicality of four doors?
I can't stand the huge bulbous rear end on this gen sedan. It just looks weird to me.

ManofGod1000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Couple Energy Green
Country flag
It's 2018, are you also going to churn your own butter?
Ummm, what? I have absolutely no desire for the car to make all the decisions for me. Therefore, with the 2018 Si, that short throw manual transmission was a must and I love it. I came from a Dart with a 2.4l and 6 speed auto and although it looked great, it was completely and utterly boring to drive. (Did love the 1.4t and 6 speed manual Dart I had previously, though.)

Truth is, test drive, test drive, test drive and test drive some more. Once you buy it, you must keep it and the last thing you want is regrets. (I bought the 2018 Civic Si Coupe in Energy Green and am quite happy with it. Otherwise, it would have been the Sedan in Blue.)
Sponsored