Bone Stock
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Country flag
Tonight I experienced a “glitch” maybe, not sure what to think. I have a 2019 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT and under full throttle it went to 6000+RPM from 0-125 MPH without shifting. It just sat at the same RPM to top speed. Any clue what happened? Hopefully the YouTube link shows up, idk still a noob

Sponsored

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Tonight I experienced a “glitch” maybe, not sure what to think. I have a 2019 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT and under full throttle it went to 6000+RPM from 0-125 MPH without shifting. It just sat at the same RPM to top speed. Any clue what happened? Hopefully the YouTube link shows up, idk still a noob

This has to be a joke. In case it isn't: you posted a video about a Civic Sport Hatch in the Type R section. The CVTs behavior is perfectly normal. It goes to max power and stays there.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
That’s technically how a CVT operates there’s no gears to shift like an automatic the only reason you feel “shifting” is because the automakers added those due to the fact that people complained about a CVT holding out the RPMs as a constant rpm and they thought it was broken because it wasn’t shifting. Even though it’s not “shifting” the CVT should be doing it’s job of going through it’s pulley gear ratios.

OP
OP
Stephen

Stephen

Bone Stock
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This has to be a joke. In case it isn't: you posted a video about a Civic Sport Hatch in the Type R section. The CVTs behavior is perfectly normal. It goes to max power and stays there.
Didn’t mean to post it in type r (still noob) so I’ll delete it in the morning hoping for an actual helpful reply before then. Unfortunately it is far from normal. The cvt has preset shift points that were hitting before this video was recorded but now it stays at the same rpm through the mph range

OP
OP
Stephen

Stephen

Bone Stock
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m just worried about the change in the preset shift points

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I’m just worried about the change in the preset shift points
Does it hit them in drive ? And since you have a sport try it with paddle shifters, if it’s hitting the shift points then you should be fine. Try flooring it in drive and seeing if it has shift points

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
There are no preset shift points. There are no shifts. It's a CVT. However, if you floor it like you are trying to beat a 0-60mph time, it may feel like it's shifting, because they programmed it this way. If you accelerate any slower than just flooring it, it will not do any shifts.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag

Barry

Banned
Banned
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag

Hmmm that usually happens in L gear . ..there should be simulated gear shifts in s

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, mine had simulated shifts when i had my 2016 EXT in S mode.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Didn’t mean to post it in type r (still noob) so I’ll delete it in the morning hoping for an actual helpful reply before then. Unfortunately it is far from normal. The cvt has preset shift points that were hitting before this video was recorded but now it stays at the same rpm through the mph range
The CVT does have preset shift points, but those shift points are going to be somewhat arbitrary unless you drive the car in sequential mode (with paddles). At WOT, this is perfectly normal behavior for the CVT to Continuously Vary the Transmission’s gear ratios to keep the motor at peak power to maximize power output to go the fastest.

OP
OP
Stephen

Stephen

Bone Stock
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does it hit them in drive ? And since you have a sport try it with paddle shifters, if it’s hitting the shift points then you should be fine. Try flooring it in drive and seeing if it has shift points
Did the same thing in drive, I’ll try the paddle shifters momentarily

OP
OP
Stephen

Stephen

Bone Stock
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update: Head mechanic at Honda said that’s a normal characteristic. Sometimes the computer wants to play right

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update: Head mechanic at Honda said that’s a normal characteristic. Sometimes the computer wants to play right
But which way was faster though?
Sponsored