mkimmey1

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 6MT Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
When I complete my first oil change I will confirm if there is a drain plug, check plug and of course we know where the "Fill Plug" is located.
The drain plug should be facing the passenger side and it will take a 3/8" ratchet. I'm not exactly sure where the other 2 plugs are located. I don't have a CVT, or I would have already checked it out.
Sponsored

Truckin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I will check it out and report back.

The drain plug should be facing the passenger side and it will take a 3/8" ratchet. I'm not exactly sure where the other 2 plugs are located. I don't have a CVT, or I would have already checked it out.

dino81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchex
Country flag
Any word on this? I see the fill and drain, but I can't find the "check bolt".

dino81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchex
Country flag
So I found the check bolt. On my 17 hatch 1.5t, it's a 12mm bolt above the cvt drain. It can only be accessed from the bottom

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
So I found the check bolt. On my 17 hatch 1.5t, it's a 12mm bolt above the cvt drain. It can only be accessed from the bottom
How much % wise will come out if we drain it?

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
I'm going to try my extractor.. right from the fill hole...the fluid is expensive $38.00 on e.bay

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Advanced Transmissions

http://news.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=8705-en

Continuously Variable Transmissions (CVT)Two different CVT transmissions are offered in the new Civic to best suit the power output and operating characteristics of each available engine. Both Continuously Variable Transmissions (CVT) offer smooth and predictable gear ratio transitions and excellent acceleration matched with efficient low-rpm cruising. A wide ratio spread results in strong acceleration performance coupled with reduced engine rpm at high road speeds.

Each CVT is comprised of an engine driven torque converter that in turn drives two variable-width pulleys connected by a steel belt. With its angled inner faces, the belt can circle the angled pulley faces at varying diameter depending on the pulley width, which alters the effective ratio between the pulleys. Since there are no steps in the pulley faces, the range of possible gear ratios is essentially infinite. This ultra-fine control of the gear ratio is the key to the CVT's greater efficiency over a conventional automatic transmission with a limited number of discrete gear ratios. Instead of approximating the correct ratio for the conditions like a conventional automatic does, the Civic CVTs can precisely select the optimum ratio from moment to moment without steps or slippage. Computer control of the transmission allows the ratio between the pulleys to be altered almost instantly to best suit the driving conditions and accelerator pedal setting.

Continuously Variable Transmission for 2.0L i-VTEC
The Civic LX and EX which are powered by the 2.0-liter engine offer a CVT (available in the LX and standard in the EX) that is a refined version of the CVT that was offered in the previous generation Civic. It features a retuned torque converter, and a new generation of G-Design shift logic.

Continuously Variable Transmission for 1.5L Turbo
Turbo Civic models offer a CVT that is an evolution of the CVT transmission that is offered in Accord 4-cylinder models. In this application, the transmission's final gear ratio is 4.69-percent taller than the Accord CVT on which it's based, to allow for lower engine rpm while cruising. A new generation of G-Design shift logic aids acceleration and has a more familiar driving feel. A new turbine twin-damper design for the torque converter provides tighter control and helps reduce turbocharger lag as the vehicle accelerates.

CVT Common Features
G-Design Shift FeatureBoth available Civic CVTs are designed to provide the optimum gear ratio for the driving conditions, and to offer a more natural driving feel than some previous CVT transmissions that may have something of a disconnected "rubber-band" feel compared to a conventional automatic transmission.

The Civic CVTs have a new generation of special G-design shift logic that is designed to offer more immediate acceleration response than either conventional automatics or other CVT designs. When abruptly applying power from a steady-state cruising speed, both Civic CVTs immediately send power to the drive wheels while simultaneously adjusting the gear ratio (seamlessly and progressively downshifting) to smoothly bring the engine to its horsepower peak in a linear way.

By comparison, a conventional automatic is slower to respond and loses time making multiple downshifts. Since the automatic transmission has a limited number of separate, discrete ratios, even when fully downshifted, it can only approximate the optimum engine rpm as speed increases. This cuts into acceleration.

During full throttle acceleration, the new generation of G-Design shift logic employs stepped ratios as the vehicle speed increases. This helps give the transmission a more "connected" feel as the engine rpm and vehicle speed increase together. This stepped operation also improves acceleration performance incrementally.

CVT Automatic Modes
The transmission can be operated in three different fully automatic forward modes with the console-mounted straight-gate shifter. The D mode is ideal for most driving situations, and combines fuel efficiency with smooth operation and responsive power when needed. The S mode is for more performance-oriented driving, and features more aggressive transmission mapping to keep engine rpm higher for greater acceleration and response. The L mode is ideal for situations when additional engine braking is desired, such as in mountainous driving.

S-Range Control
To allow the driver to alter the operation of the CVT, the console-mounted gear selector includes an "S" or Sport mode that provides a sport-shift schedule that delays upshifting for more available power, and provides greater engine braking.

dino81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchex
Country flag
I'm going to try my extractor.. right from the fill hole...the fluid is expensive $38.00 on e.bay
I don't think that will work...I'm not even sure why one would even opt for that route. U must get underneath to check the fill bolt anyways. The fluid was $12 at my dealer

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Every 30k in my wife's 15 CRV, my 17 Sport HB will be once a year regardless of mileage, probably 5-10K if that but worth it for longevity.

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think that will work...I'm not even sure why one would even opt for that route. U must get underneath to check the fill bolt anyways. The fluid was $12 at my dealer
I paid the $38 for 4qts. delivered to my door. there are a few alternates.