MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
I don't love the CVT but I think Honda did a good job engineering it. My biggest gripe with it is the lag when you go from light throttle to heavy throttle. This is not the turbo lag, that's different. It seems to "confuse" the CVT logic for a second. As far as durability, only time will tell.
Yes, when slowing to nearly stop and then accelerate quickly the CVT/engine RPM's are asleep for about 2 seconds. Scares the hell out of me when trying to beat oncoming traffic during a left turn.
Sponsored

Civicguy1206

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-L Hatchback HFP
Vehicle Showcase
Hey coo1rim (Mr. CVT's are golf carts and slow as hell) ...

I think the Mazda 3 and BMW I smoked on the highway today probably were impressed/surprised with how my CVT Civic left them in the dust.
I have a CVT, and I smoked a Focus ST not to long ago. My 2016 Coupe smoked quite a few cars with its CVT.

Civicguy1206

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-L Hatchback HFP
Vehicle Showcase
yes but on the sedan you can slide your finger up and down to change volume. It takes some getting use to, though.
I hated that feature in my 2016 touring coupe. I am glad my 2018 hatchback doesn't have it.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Just want to add that for anyone experiencing "CVT Lag" its not actually the CVT its because our cars have a drive by wire throttle system which means that there is no physical linkage between the throttle and the engine but rather it sends an electrical signal via the computer depending on where your foot is on the throttle. This can sometimes make the computer confused when you suddenly switch from light to heavy throttle and hence causes a slight amount of lag.

SteakNCheese

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX
Country flag
Yes, when slowing to nearly stop and then accelerate quickly the CVT/engine RPM's are asleep for about 2 seconds. Scares the hell out of me when trying to beat oncoming traffic during a left turn.
If you use S mode on shifter that delay is all but removed.

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
If you use S mode on shifter that delay is all but removed.
^ What he said. When you are slowing down like that the turbo will spin down to a sleep mode. No different than clutching your manual trans down to gear 1 or 2.
Simply yank that shift lever back to S or L and floor it... she will peel out pull you back in the seat and may even produce some wheel spin.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
^ What he said. When you are slowing down like that the turbo will spin down to a sleep mode. No different than clutching your manual trans down to gear 1 or 2.
Simply yank that shift lever back to S or L and floor it... she will peel out pull you back in the seat and may even produce some wheel spin.
Hmmm...

Untuned, I can honestly say my car never pulled me back in the seat.

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Since i've been driving this civic w/CVT I started to dislike the conventional auto trans.
Our chevy Tahoehas auto/slush and my GF has a V6 accord w/auto. While it can be fun to drive the accord, I dislike when it hunts for gears on hills or when you floor it. I got spoiled by the CVT. I definitely got "aged out" of the MT and don't want it anymore.
I agree, Honda did a good job w/this CVT.

Last edited:

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
Since i've been driving this civic w/CVT I started to dislike the conventional auto trans.
Our chevy Tahoe and my GF has a V6 accord w/auto. While it can be fun to drive the accord, I dislike when it hunts for gears on hills or when you floor it. I got spoiled by the CVT. I definitely got "aged out" of the MT and don't want it anymore.
I agree, Honda did a good job w/this CVT.
Yes, Honda executed a fine tranny, especially when in the cruise control, no more rapid screaming downshifts while climbing. Thank you Honda !

TOMMY B

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
219 Honda Civic HB Sport
Country flag
I drove the CVT just to see what it was all about as I really wanted a Hatchback with a sunroof. I really dislike it, the Manuals are about the easiest you’ll ever drive so thus I bought the Sport HB. As far as longevity could go its still a total unknown, but I rocked over 250k on my manual 09 Si with zero issues.

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
... I really dislike it, the Manuals are about the easiest you’ll ever drive so thus I bought the Sport HB. ....
Laughs in natural aspirated
:popcorn: ......Are we doing the N/A vs Turbo and CVT vs M/T thing again? I am just going to go take a nap then. :) no one gives a flying F about a N/A and MT.
Sponsored