db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback 2019 Ford Ranger S-crew
Country flag
I've always done my own tranny service on my vehicles. I know on our Escapes we would need to do a different type of flush. I'd pull the plug, drain about 5 quarts of fluid, replace said fluid, drive around the block. Drop the plug and get another 5 quarts out, then replace that. That basic flush would get about 75% or thereabouts flushed out counting the TQ.

Now...I am guessing on the CVT Civic this isn't necessary? Plus another aspect of the Escape in that there was no serviceable filter that didn't require cracking the case open. Is that the same case here?

Thanks!
D

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
My dealer's $135, but then again I'm not really in NoVA, I'm out in the Valley. Even $200 is much more reasonable than what Ford charged in the past, so I'm good with it.

I'd do mine myself but apartment + neighbors with nothing to do but watch = no dice

LOL. I hear that. I swear some idiots would normally not care but when they see an opportunity to cause trouble they do out of boredom. Some idiot last weekend went around spray painting people's cars.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Okay, have to admit this thread was making me panic... LoL But I guess time will tell. I'm not overly hard on my car, occasional little sprints but not frequent and not for long periods of time. So driving it as an average car, I hope to get a long life out of it. Too late to panic now, I'd surely take a huge loss trying to get out from under it at this point anyway. :( And what would I get? I happen to like the car. LoL
Well the car has a standard warranty for the power train if you are not killing it in acceleration it should be fine. I'll admit I had no idea the Prius CVT was different I assumed it was similar

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
My biggest gripe with it is the lag when you go from light throttle to heavy throttle. This is not the turbo lag, that's different. It seems to "confuse" the CVT logic for a second.
I've heard this on the forum and I don't understand :dunno: how the CVT (or any other transmission) can produce a lag when starting to move the car. Could you explain how exactly the logic of the CVT keeps the car from starting immediately? It could only happen if it held a high gear ratio initially, but this would be silly and would lead to lugging the engine after stepping on the pedal. To start like a rocket the transmission doesn't need to do anything, just be in a low gear ratio. It doesn't control the throttle.

It is possible that programming the CVT car includes slower throttle opening for transmission protection, but this would be outside the transmission. Is this observed?

I don't see any other lag but the turbo lag. Essentially, the car takes off from rest with just a NA 1.5L engine, and this engine with this car can't possibly produce immediate fast acceleration. At higher rpm and car speeds the turbo lag is much less noticeable, but it has to be there at zero speed and idling.

So how can a transmission produce lag when taking off?

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
So how can a transmission produce lag when taking off?
I am not an expert BUT...

The CVT, Fuel injection and throttle are all electronically controlled.
They are all programmed for high mileage.
The gear ratio in the CVT is determined by inputs such as speed, load (up a hill or towing? ), and how hard you are pushing down on the accelerator.

I believe that the "lag" in NA engines comes mostly from the fueling. The injectors only slowly add fuel to the combustion chamber when the accelerator is depressed. This saves fuel.

In turbo engines, you get two "lags". The turbo spooling up and the fueling delay.

So, the CVT isn't creating the lag. The fueling is. Although the fueling delay also helps the CVT durability. So in an effort to make the CVT last longer, there may be lag programmed into the fueling.

Maybe a mechanical/electronic engineer could pipe in to correct me if i am wrong.

Last edited:

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
I am not an expert BUT...

The CVT, Fuel injection and throttle are all electronically controlled.
They are all programmed for high mileage.
The gear ratio in the CVT is determined by inputs such as speed, load (up a hill or towing? ), and how hard you are pushing down on the accelerator.

I believe that the "lag" in NA engines comes mostly from the fueling. The injectors only slowly add fuel to the combustion chamber when the accelerator is depressed. This saves fuel.

In turbo engines, you get two "lags". The turbo spooling up and the fueling delay.

So, the CVT isn't creating the lag. The fueling is. Although the fueling delay also helps the CVT durability. So in an effort to make the CVT last longer, there may be lag programmed into the fueling.

Maybe a mechanical/electronic engineer could pipe in to correct me if i am wrong.
This must be something Ktuner has accounted for and "fixed", because even the slightest pedal press and the car is ready to jump forward.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Why would anyone buy a FWD reliable fuel efficient economical daily driver to use all day drag racing?

That's like saying a Coach purse uses better leather and construction than a Tommy Hilfiger purse so that's why a Coach purse is so much better as a tool bag. What??

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
That about sums up my thoughts as I read some of the comments.... Look, it isn't a sports car. I didn't think it was one, it wasn't sold as one. It was engineered (hardware and software) to perform a certain way. Pushing it outside those bounds very far or for very long is bound to have issues, or so I would think. For what it is, I'm very happy with performance, and so hopefully it will last a LONG TIME. The "power train warranty" is the least of my problems, I hope it far exceeds that. I bought this as an "until it dies" car and I don't want it to happen any time soon. LoL Seeing some of the high mileage reports from other CVT implementations at least gives some hope.

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Considering the thread title is CVT, I cant' imagine how manual transmissions should even be part of this conversation....

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Considering the thread title is CVT, I cant' imagine how manual transmissions should even be part of this conversation....
Because it's not a true Civic unless it's a manual, supposedly.
Sponsored