First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.5L turbo
Country flag
Hey guys,

I know several members of the forum have posted about "Knock count" and the little importance it does have when monitoring the health of your tune, however recently I've had a large increase in the actual knock count numbers and I was hoping Ktuner could give some details around it in a public forums so others can benefit from it.

I'm using the base map 16/21psi tune and have been for months. Thoroughly enjoying the tune.

My usual mountain run I might see the knock count to tally around 3-5 times however my most recent two trips Ive tallied up to 20 in a matter of minutes.

Below I'll list some details about the scenarios to maybe help diagnose.

Outside temp: 34 °C
IAT 2 temp: 43-46°C
Knock control: Consistent at 0.49. occasionally rising to 0.53
The car also has a solid transmission mount

This is probably the hottest my car has been running ever due to a heat wave we've experienced this weekend.

Essentially my questions to Ktuner are:
1. What EXACTLY is the knock count measuring? Is there a sensor it's recording?
2. Does a large number of knock counts come as a concern when it's never been before?
3. Would having A/C on or having a solid transmission mount be putting strain on the engine and therefore causing this to occur?

I unfortunately didn't get a log otherwise I would have emailed through, I'm hoping to just get more context on whether "knock count" should ever even be considered for the health of the car?

@KTuner
Sponsored

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
IAT past 40ºC can lead to knock more easily although you should look at knock control value, if it doesn't skyrocket from 0.49 to 0.8 in one step it's probably fine.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
if you are worried about the knock control going up. You can retard the timing a little as it gets hotter. something like this
Honda Civic 10th gen CVT Knock count enquiry upload_2019-1-29_18-43-6

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
if you are worried about the knock control going up. You can retard the timing a little as it gets hotter. something like this
upload_2019-1-29_18-43-6.png
I don't have those options lol

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have those options lol
That's odd. I wouldn't suspect that IAT corrections (lack of) would vary from ECU to ECU.

OP
OP

Markusc

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Knock control is what to watch on this platform and your range is good.
Thanks for the peace of mind

Are you able to comment on the knock count at all? It seems odd that it shot up into the 20s.

Would you have any speculation as to how/why this would occur? And what exactly is the knock count "counting"?
(I like to know context behind why these things are the way they are)

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Knock count is not a useful indicator unless they're climbing by hundreds. Think of how many ignition events occur per minute at any given RPM.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any ECU that was added for initial support will get additional items as updates are released!
Thank you, I think it would be great to have a list of all supported ecus and the current level of feature support that each ECU model has.

MrMonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I hear that Ktuner has a lot of good tuning options for us cvt owners. Confirm? Does Ktuner have a carb legal tune available?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I hear that Ktuner has a lot of good tuning options for us cvt owners. Confirm? Does Ktuner have a carb legal tune available?
Ktuner is fantastic with the CVT in terms of drivability upgrades. I had a CARB Flashpro and Ktuner has many more features. But, at this time there is no CARB legal Ktuner available.

OP
OP

Markusc

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Knock count is not a useful indicator unless they're climbing by hundreds. Think of how many ignition events occur per minute at any given RPM.
Ahh thank you! Basically I was saying I had no idea what it meant. But now that you've mentioned that I assume the count is literally 1 revolution out of thousands per minute. That clears things up thanks Ktuner
Sponsored