daltonh10

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Hey everyone, I just wanted to talk about my situation. I have a 2018 cvt hatch with only 16,400 miles. I was on ktuner stage 2 for about 2 months around 8k miles and I had transmission issues. Luckily the dealership replaced the Valve body(transmission part) and I’ve been fine since then. 8k miles later with no modifications my transmission started to slip and jerk when going from a stop. Still drivable at the moment. Yes I occasionally drive “spiritedly” going WOT 1-2 times a week. I just think it should hold up longer than 16k miles.... Has anyone experienced similar problems at this low mileage?

I’m praying I can get a new one under warranty.

And yes once fixed I’m getting a manual.
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
I’m using Hondata +6psi tune and have no issues with my CVT even though I drive it spirited a few times. Mine is already at almost 41k miles.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Most of us running tunes long term on the CVT turbo have been problem free. I've been tuned over two and a half years.

This kind of reminds me of Si owners saying the TSP Map 3 is too much for the stock clutch yet others have had no clutch problems in years of driving on that map.

So the question is why? Is it just a matter of some owners getting lemons, the way some people drive their car (abuse, misuse, neglect) or a combo of both?

Trying to get answers is one of the reasons I started the tuning reliability survey last year.

Side note: (nothing to do with the CVT)...

OP, IIRC didn't you have driveability issues with your tune because you were running an Injen intake?

Last edited:
OP
OP
daltonh10

daltonh10

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Most of us running tunes long term on the CVT turbo have been problem free. I've been tuned over two and a half years.

This kind of reminds me of Si owners saying the TSP Map 3 is too much for the stock clutch yet others have had no clutch problems in years of driving on that map.

So the question is why? Is it just a matter of some owners getting lemons, the way some people drive their car (abuse, misuse, neglect) or a combo of both?

Trying to get answers is one of the reasons I started the tuning reliability survey last year.

Side note: (nothing to do with the CVT)...

OP, IIRC didn't you have driveability issues with your tune because you were running an Injen intake?
I thought that was the problem but it ended up being a transmission issue. As said I was only tuned for 2 months and have been stock for 8k miles since. Could it still be from my previous issue.

OP
OP
daltonh10

daltonh10

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I thought that was the problem but it ended up being a transmission issue. As said I was only tuned for 2 months and have been stock for 8k miles since. Could it still be from my previous issue.
Edit: I also want to make it clear I’m not at all blaming the tune. I’m still a supporter.

Deleted member 26142

Like GTman said it could very well be the transmission is a lemon unfortunately.
I'm at about the same milage with some bolt ons, and have had no issues I even did the transmission service early myself and the fluid looked ok still

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2018 cvt civic. Drop in k&n, type r exhaust (recent) Hondata +6 carb. 54k miles. Just recently done a cvt oil change at the dealer. Have 0 problems so far with the cvt.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Pay to play. That's how it works.

I never take a car to the track that I can't just buy another one same day. And I won't mod a car that I can't or am not willing to pay out of pocket to fix.

It doesn't matter that other people have anecdotes about their tunes working. Or your tuning working for x-number of miles.

Engines/transmissions are designed to a spec. This spec will account for a certain power/usage parameter within a set of tolerances. These tolerances factored into manufacturing capabilities (cpK) within a bell curve and they will be within the performance spec to something like 4 sigma. I think 4 sigma is like 1 in a 100k Statistically, you can end up with that 1:100k. However, the issue is if your engine is on the tiny sliver of that bell curve at like the edge, it might have worked? You'll never know since it was tuned. And on the other hand, someone can be running stage 3 WOT all day and be fine because theirs was on the other end of the bell curve, the 1 in 100k that can withstand 2x the power.

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
whe
my transmission started to slip and jerk when going from a stop.
Can you clarify this part a little? What do you mean when you say slip and jerk?

OP
OP
daltonh10

daltonh10

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
whe

Can you clarify this part a little? What do you mean when you say slip and jerk?
From a stop I tried to accelerate in sport mode and the rpms went up but the car did not move I quickly put it in regular drive and slowly drove off.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
if rpms climbed but car didn't move then yeah that trans is almost done for.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
From a stop I tried to accelerate in sport mode and the rpms went up but the car did not move I quickly put it in regular drive and slowly drove off.
Verify the CVT fluid level first. They changed the valve body so they dropped the pan, some techs just throw in 3-4qts of fluid and ship it. Incorrect fluid level will cause cvt issues that mimic slipping. Verify proper fluid level through the access port on the radiator side of the trans then proceed with further diag.
Sponsored