CVT flutter

largelybored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
I've recently started experiencing a strange CVT RPM flutter at around 50-60% throttle. Here is a short video showing the rpm gauge drop and raise a hundred or so RPM during steady throttle input.

https://youtu.be/2pbMpoFbLTY
I've just started trying to analyze the problem.. Any ideas? You can hear the engine RPM change, so it's not slipping in the classic sense. Could it be not holding the throttle plate steady or the turbo target steady?

25k miles on a 2017 sport hantchback.

The problem seems to be getting worse. I used to notice it once a day and now I can replicate the problem about 50% of the time.
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Do you have a tuner ?

If so , does it do it when you return it back to stock

OP
OP

largelybored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Updated ktuner v2 to 1.7, restored to stock tune, unlocked ktuner, and problem went away. Going to re-apply my tune with last firmware and see if it happens again.

OP
OP

largelybored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Went back to my tune, problem comes back too.

Look at the first pull and the last in this video.

Last edited:
OP
OP

largelybored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I switched to the starter 21+ with aggressive II options and it only seemed to do it once this morning on my 40 mile commute. As I was parking though, it seemed to slam into D from R as I went to go back to a parking spot I drove past. I really wonder what is going on with this thing. Is there a way to check CVT fluid level?

HMan

AB 1.5T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe EXT
I switched to the starter 21+ with aggressive II options and it only seemed to do it once this morning on my 40 mile commute. As I was parking though, it seemed to slam into D from R as I went to go back to a parking spot I drove past. I really wonder what is going on with this thing. Is there a way to check CVT fluid level?
Yeah it's a bolt on the drivers side about mid way up on the trans. Have to do that level though. I swapped my fluid and pulled the pan, pulling the filter apparatus put it all back together. Measuring what came out is 5 quarts that way. I'm ktuner stage two and running amsoil CVT fluid (and signature series synthetic). I noticed a difference right away. More responsive at lower rpm. Did mine at 15k on my ext coupe. Well worth it.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
you should email [email protected] and at least tag them here at a minimum @KTuner

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
you should email [email protected] and at least tag them here at a minimum @KTuner
Already did.. I'll keep everyone updated as things develop.
Yup, he's on a seemingly aggressive tune, not one of the basemaps, and it seems like the CVT programming may be stuck trying to figure out what to do with high load and half throttle input, but awaiting more details! Gave him some options of how he can test different scenarios and have his custom tune adjusted to avoid this scenario.

OP
OP

largelybored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car just stalled sitting at a red light when I took my foot off the brake. Restarted and it did it again. 3rd time I was able to drive off. I’m in a parking lot flashing to stock.

Is there a CVT learn program that can get reset if I’d disconnect the battery?

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Car just stalled sitting at a red light when I took my foot off the brake. Restarted and it did it again. 3rd time I was able to drive off. I’m in a parking lot flashing to stock.

Is there a CVT learn program that can get reset if I’d disconnect the battery?
nope
Sponsored