CVT Fluid Change

MarshX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey there folks, I’m just about due for my CVT Fluid change. My question is whether it’s necessary to also change out the transmission filter...? Given that I have a 1.5L engine, does that filter for the specific transmission NEED to be changed or can you get by with a simple drain and fill without any issues down the road?(pun intended)
Thanks!
Sponsored

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Hey there folks, I’m just about due for my CVT Fluid change. My question is whether it’s necessary to also change out the transmission filter...? Given that I have a 1.5L engine, does that filter for the specific transmission NEED to be changed or can you get by with a simple drain and fill without any issues down the road?(pun intended)
Thanks!
There’s no accessible filter unless you count the CVT warmer filter (Part #: 25450-P4V-013). But that’s not really a filter that cleans the whole fluid. If you take it to a Honda dealership for the maintenance they will just do a drain and fill. If your super anal about maintenance and you want to get a good majority of the fluid you are suppose to do it multiple times. Where as 1 drain and fill gets some but not all since most of the fluid remains in the torque converter. Either is fine really.

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
There’s no accessible filter unless you count the CVT warmer filter (Part #: 25450-P4V-013). But that’s not really a filter that cleans the whole fluid. If you take it to a Honda dealership for the maintenance they will just do a drain and fill. If your super anal about maintenance and you want to get a good majority of the fluid you are suppose to do it multiple times. Where as 1 drain and fill gets some but not all since most of the fluid remains in the torque converter. Either is fine really.
There is another above the oil pan.

iNeil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 10th Gen Civic EX-L
Country flag
I have been doing a cvt fluid change every 3rd oil change for the past 7 years on my cvt accord and civic. I use Castrol cvt fluid from amazon, 6 quarts are like 30-40 dollars. I keep a separate oil container and measure out how much cvt fluid came out and put the same amount back in (I only have ramps) have never had an issue. Replace crush washer as needed.

Honda's oe manufacturer of cvt fluid is idemitsu if I am not mistaken.

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
I have been doing a cvt fluid change every 3rd oil change for the past 7 years on my cvt accord and civic. I use Castrol cvt fluid from amazon, 6 quarts are like 30-40 dollars. I keep a separate oil container and measure out how much cvt fluid came out and put the same amount back in (I only have ramps) have never had an issue. Replace crush washer as needed.

Honda's oe manufacturer of cvt fluid is idemitsu if I am not mistaken.

You should use the check bolt with your car leveled for the correct amount of transmission fluid. By putting back the same amount you could be below the required fluid.
Sponsored