2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like I will be waiting for 90k for next CVT fluid change

gohiqua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic sedan lx
Dealer told me this morning that is says on the Honda website that I need to change my CVT fluid ('16 Sedan) every 30,000 miles, has anybody else seen this? I have a feeling the dealer is just trying to make $100 extra from me today. I've checked the owner's manual and website and I see nothing regarding this.

Thanks!
i have a 2016 civic lx and around 50k miles on the odometer will pop up the code B123 that oil change tire rotation and cvt fluid change and offcouse is depend on your driving condittion

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you.
I'm changing mine for the first time now. Definitely use pb blister or similar on the drain plug. the plug is a female square: Don't know the exact size. The only thing i have that fits are socket drivers. I sheared the head off of one before breaking out the pb. Our CVT is certainly magical, because they don't want us getting to the pixie dust that's inside.
I would post a pic, but my images are too large ☹

Last edited:

gohiqua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic sedan lx
i have a 2016 civic lx and around 50k miles on the odometer will pop up the code B123 that oil change tire rotation and cvt fluid change and offcouse is depend on your driving condittion
just when to the honda dealer today to change the cvt fluid for $109 plus tax i think that good deal update all the software....the service advisor say i have to change the cvt fluid at 25k or 30k miles

HMan

AB 1.5T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe EXT
just when to the honda dealer today to change the cvt fluid for $109 plus tax i think that good deal update all the software....the service advisor say i have to change the cvt fluid at 25k or 30k miles
Nobody is changing the filter (along with the pan gasket) is there a change interval listed somewhere for this?

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Reading through this post I discovered the infamous weird grinding noise I get on some hot restarts in my Civic 1.5T CVT.
I tried to describe it to the dealer when I left it for the first service and they couldn´t reproduce that noise.
At first I was thinking it was something related to the poly-V belt, but it is not, as per the TSB it is related to a valve in the CVT.
My question is, to perform the repair do they have to dismantle the gearbox to replace that valve or it is located outside of it.?
If not, I honestly don't want my new car being touched at such premature instance by people that are not so familiar with this new powertrain, so I do not want them to experiment on my own car.
The TSB also states that no damage or malfunction to be worried about, so in that case I would prefer to leave it as is.
What do you guys think?

HMan

AB 1.5T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe EXT
Nobody is changing the filter (along with the pan gasket) is there a change interval listed somewhere for this?
By the way anyone interested the filter is located in a black plastic pickup, looks replaceable. If you pull the filter assembly (and of course remove the pan), it measures out to five quarts.

Dna_32746

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T 1.5L CVT
Country flag
Does anyone have a pic of the fluid level check port? Is it the bolt pointing downward next to the driver side wheel? Replaced mine today with Amsoil CVT, but they only come in 946ml...so 4 quarts is 3.784L not 3.9L.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone have a pic of the fluid level check port? Is it the bolt pointing downward next to the driver side wheel? Replaced mine today with Amsoil CVT, but they only come in 946ml...so 4 quarts is 3.784L not 3.9L.
I did this some ago. I ordered 4qt, and i think i have a partial spare. So, it was more than 3qt for me. I think i filled it until it spilled over. If you didn't also do the transmission shifting steps, you will have a lower level when the new fluid seeps into all the gaps.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
"At first I was thinking it was something related to the poly-V belt, but it is not, as per the TSB it is related to a valve in the CVT."

The belt is built with steel components. See this video:

Dna_32746

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T 1.5L CVT
Country flag
I did this some ago. I ordered 4qt, and i think i have a partial spare. So, it was more than 3qt for me. I think i filled it until it spilled over. If you didn't also do the transmission shifting steps, you will have a lower level when the new fluid seeps into all the gaps.
Where is the fluid check hole/port?

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
in the us is the honda fluid 22$ a quart?

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Chesty, you can find the Honda HCF-2 on ebay for about $10/qt.
I just received mine 4 qt, $39.85 includes shipping.
New aluminum drain plug washer $6.87

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are there official numbers by Honda in your owners manual, when to change the CVT fluid?

My owners manual says every two years or at maximum 40k kilometer (25k miles).

I'm curious why so many CVT drivers here change it with more than the double amount of kilometers...
Sponsored