First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are there official numbers by Honda in your owners manual, when to change the CVT fluid?

My owners manual says every two years or at maximum 40k kilometer (25k miles).

I'm curious why so many CVT drivers here change it with more than the double amount of kilometers...
I'm there with ya. I have no clue why anyone, particularly if not running factory tune + stock, wouldn't change early.
Sponsored

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm guessing it's that old saying, "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

Nissan refused to change the CVT on my two vehicles back then. I had 180k & 120k.

This is the first time I'm going to change the transmission early, my FK7 has around 43k/km. I booked my appointment at Honda this Saturday.

They're asking $158.99 CAN but I'm saving on the taxes. I ask parts and was told it's $25.99 a litre for the CVT. I figured $50 for labour isn't bad.

I've seen the DIY looks like a PITA.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@bembol
I think that's a good price, I had to pay €150 at the Honda shop for the change of the CVT fluid, which is $220 CAN.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
where are you seeing that?

i have never heard of it being that early,

you just go by the MM
It's in the official owners manual by Honda.

I made a screenshot for you from the digital version of it, but it's german:

Honda Civic 10th gen CVT Fluid Change IMG_20200521_231043

I had mine changed after the head unit told me. At that time the car was 23 month old and had only 30k kilometers (18,600 miles) on it.

Maybe Honda is forcing us to change the CVT fluid so early because of the higher speeds we drive over here? ?

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I followed the procedures in this thread here (and even posted on post #29) and it went well if you want a guide on how to do it.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
interesting,

i don't have any chart like that in my manual, everything says to just go by the MM

my CVT MM code has not come up yet, but im only at about 15,000 miles,
This has been repeatedly pointed out for a long time. Such things as the kind of engine oil "Honda engineers" recommend to use, or maintenance schedules vary depending on the market. It's not because people drive faster, or there is more dust in Europe, but it's adjusted to local regulations and expectations. These are not laws of physics. For this reason, following a German CVT schedule and recommended engine oil in the US is not a heresy, just an option.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Gruber
I still desperately want to know how many miles or month Honda is recommending in Canada or the States to change the CVT fluid.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
@Gruber
I still desperately want to know how many miles or month Honda is recommending in Canada or the States to change the CVT fluid.
They don't give any tabulated schedules with fixed mileage intervals. You are supposed to do it with the next engine oil change after the transmission service code pops up on the dashboard.

But if you drive regularly hard for the transmission, like mountains at low speeds, the manual recommends 25,000 miles.

Last edited:

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
why does it matter?

you are not in canada or the states,

go by the chart that you have
Why do you care about something I want to know?

It's about saving time and money obviously. I does not make a lot of sense to me to change the fluid already every 15 to 20k miles, if most people in Canada or the US are going to change it at 50k miles or even more. That's why I asked.

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I changed mine at around 25k miles. I don't even drive up in the mountains but it was fun to do haha. But yeah you should wait until your maintenance minder says so if you really want to be sure.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Things really do happen for a reason.

As I said I never got my transmission change this early, the last time I did was back in 2005, I changed my 2002 Acura RSX Premium myself at 100+k/km. I never did after that because I had two Nissan's and they said not to touch it.

Anyways, I'm at Family Honda right now and was told my transmission has a leak?!? I never noticed it when I changed the oil because I thought the liquid I saw on the protective panel was from the CORROSION Free rust proof I got done last year.

I was told it's a faulty seal and they need a few days to fix it, under warranty of course. So now I'm waiting for a rental...

It's just amazing to think if I didn't get this done today or this early.

First time I ever had this type of problem.

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Things really do happen for a reason.

As I said I never got my transmission change this early, the last time I did was back in 2005, I changed my 2002 Acura RSX Premium myself at 100+k/km. I never did after that because I had two Nissan's and they said not to touch it.

Anyways, I'm at Family Honda right now and was told my transmission has a leak?!? I never noticed it when I changed the oil because I thought the liquid I saw on the protective panel was from the CORROSION Free rust proof I got done last year.

I was told it's a faulty seal and they need a few days to fix it, under warranty of course. So now I'm waiting for a rental...

It's just amazing to think if I didn't get this done today or this early.

First time I ever had this type of problem.
Things really do happen for a reason huh. Crazy.

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
Dealer told me this morning that is says on the Honda website that I need to change my CVT fluid ('16 Sedan) every 30,000 miles, has anybody else seen this? I have a feeling the dealer is just trying to make $100 extra from me today. I've checked the owner's manual and website and I see nothing regarding this.

Thanks!
I have read that before. I'm at 31k and some change and the MM hasn't said anything yet ...

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I changed mine in the last month. I think I had 40% remaining per MM. The first time I changed the fluid just before 15k mi, and this time the fluid had about 24k mi on it. I had an analysis done.... Not the best- I will be changing it again in ~15k mi and doing the filter change. Way more iron, aluminum, and even insoluble content despite the fluid itself being healthy.
Sponsored