CVT fluid change ,but no reminder

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I'm slightly under 30,000 miles, i have not received the computer reminder to change the CVT fluid. I heard i'm suppose to change the CVT fluid anywhere from 25k-30k miles. Do you guys recommending change the CVT fluid now, without the reminder, or wait for the reminder?
Sponsored

OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I would wait for the MM code, it might not happen till 50-60k miles...your still early, unless you live and drive where there are alot of steep mountain roads

I do city and freeway driving, but freeway most of the times. I called the local Honda dealership, they said i'm due for CVT fluid change since i'm near 30k miles. $167 for dealership to do it, or DYI $13/ quart. I need 3 qts.

Whiting087

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic 2.0l 4D LX
Country flag
I'm slightly under 30,000 miles, i have not received the computer reminder to change the CVT fluid. I heard i'm suppose to change the CVT fluid anywhere from 25k-30k miles. Do you guys recommending change the CVT fluid now, without the reminder, or wait for the reminder?
THE most UNREAD BOOK IN THE WORLD...the Owners Manual‼
page 22 under Maintenance For my 2018 has a grid that clearly indicates to change the transmission fluid at 60,000‼ Trust the MM and the designing engineers... not the dealers who are just seeing dollar signs when asked about “how often should I ...”.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Never really followed the reminder...

If I did I could've been screwed, my CVT has a leak, I didn't get the full details but Honda needs a few days to repair it.

It can't hurt to change it early.

Marko

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
The CVT is a very gentle transmission. Frequent oil change in the variator (CVT) - significantly increases the residual transmission resource.

Oil change intervals are once every 40,000 km. In the instruction manual (in the manual - https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2019/Civic-Hatchback/manuals ) it is written verbatim:

"…Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds results in higher transmission temperatures.
This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance
Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed
every 25,000 miles (40,000 km)."

Replacement is very simple. The variator (cvt) pan is removed, the pan gasket, the coarse filter (in the pan) are changed. And behind the oil cooler (it is on the side of the variator, the diagrams below explain and show in detail) the variator fine filter changes.

Catalog numbers of original consumables:

1. Coarse filter (Strainer Assy) - 25420-5LJ-003 (aka number 254205LJ003)
2. The fine filter behind the oil cooler (Filter) - 25450-P4V-013
3. The laying of the pallet (Gasket, oil pan) - 21814-RJ2-003
4. Recommended oil - Honda HCF-2. The volume during the shift is 3.7-3.9 QTS (this is 3.5 - 3.7 liters).

more detailed information (with diagrams, photographs) is here - https://www.drive2.ru/o/b/558428487803732121/

Honda Civic 10th gen CVT fluid change ,but no reminder ugAAAgJGE-A-960

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I’ve had the fluid changed on my CVT at 20,000 miles planning to do it at every 20,000

Marko

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
thats about 13,000 miles average in the US
in Russia - great distances. On average, people travel 25,000 to 30,000 kilometers a year (15,000 to 20,000 miles) per year. I myself occasionally travel by car from Moscow to Europe (to Poland, Germany, Austria). Therefore, I have a mileage of about 40,000 kilometers per year (that's about 25,000 miles).

Japan has interesting transmission fluid replacement standards. We have a lot of cars from Japan in Russia (which were originally sold with right-hand drive inside Japan, and then bought and brought into Russia by used vehicles). So, on the back of all these Japanese cars there is a nameplate (sticker) on the frequency of replacement of transmission fluid.

Here is an example of a Toyota Corolla with a CVT. Look at the photo. It is written in Japanese, but everything is clear. It is necessary to change the fluid in the CVT (in this case, Aisin fluid is indicated, since it is they who produce the CVT for Toyota) every 20 00 km. (12,500 miles) or every 2 years (depending on what comes earlier). Maybe for this reason, Japanese cars with CVTs do not require repair?

Honda Civic 10th gen CVT fluid change ,but no reminder GaAAAgPNkuA-960

OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
in Russia - great distances. On average, people travel 25,000 to 30,000 kilometers a year (15,000 to 20,000 miles) per year. I myself occasionally travel by car from Moscow to Europe (to Poland, Germany, Austria). Therefore, I have a mileage of about 40,000 kilometers per year (that's about 25,000 miles).

Japan has interesting transmission fluid replacement standards. We have a lot of cars from Japan in Russia (which were originally sold with right-hand drive inside Japan, and then bought and brought into Russia by used vehicles). So, on the back of all these Japanese cars there is a nameplate (sticker) on the frequency of replacement of transmission fluid.

Here is an example of a Toyota Corolla with a CVT. Look at the photo. It is written in Japanese, but everything is clear. It is necessary to change the fluid in the CVT (in this case, Aisin fluid is indicated, since it is they who produce the CVT for Toyota) every 20 00 km. (12,500 miles) or every 2 years (depending on what comes earlier). Maybe for this reason, Japanese cars with CVTs do not require repair?

GaAAAgPNkuA-960.jpg

Appreciate you sharing, you are very knowledgeable. I just bought 4 quart of CVT fluid from Honda dealership, i'm going to change mine tomorrow. Costs me $50 USD for 4 qt, if i take it into the dealership, they charge $160 for labor and parts.

OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Appreciate you sharing, you are very knowledgeable. I just bought 4 quart of CVT fluid from Honda dealership, i'm going to change mine tomorrow. Costs me $50 USD for 4 qt, if i take it into the dealership, they charge $160 for labor and parts.

Update: changed the CVT fluid today @ 30k miles., took a picture of content on the magnetic nut.

Honda Civic 10th gen CVT fluid change ,but no reminder IMG_2676.JPG

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Car manufacturers have an incentive to stretch service intervals. Fluid changes factor in the "maintenance cost." Honda competes with other manufacturers so they have to boast low maintenace cost, which is based on these intervals. So, if your main goal is to save money on maintenance, you may be fine with 60,000 miles.

On the other hand, the brake service interval is quite short, because it factors also into "safety". Well, I have my own priorities for my car, which don't necessarily match those of American Honda. I go by what I see and the common sense. This tells me to service the transmission more often and the brakes less often than what the MM says.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just changed mine for the second time. I bought a gallon of fluid. I remembered reading that it only takes 3.7-3.9 to fill. That's bull. I had the car jacked up at a steep angle to get the most room I could to get that dang bolt off. I figured some old fluid would be caught in the pan because of this. So I poured a dear little bit in to try and flush through and dilute the remnants. It was _very_ little. When I go to do the fill... The fluid keeps going in and out of sight. Now I've got an empty gallon container. Grrrr. Guess I'm ordering another qt and not driving this week. So lame.

OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Just changed mine for the second time. I bought a gallon of fluid. I remembered reading that it only takes 3.7-3.9 to fill. That's bull. I had the car jacked up at a steep angle to get the most room I could to get that dang bolt off. I figured some old fluid would be caught in the pan because of this. So I poured a dear little bit in to try and flush through and dilute the remnants. It was _very_ little. When I go to do the fill... The fluid keeps going in and out of sight. Now I've got an empty gallon container. Grrrr. Guess I'm ordering another qt and not driving this week. So lame.
What do you mean keeps going in and out of sight. I put 3.9 qts in mine.
Sponsored