First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What do you mean keeps going in and out of sight. I put 3.9 qts in mine.
Theres that metal about an inch below the opening that obstructs the view of below. I couldn't see any fluid level, so it's not full enough to sit at or above that metal.
Sponsored

OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Theres that metal about an inch below the opening that obstructs the view of below. I couldn't see any fluid level, so it's not full enough to sit at or above that metal.

I don't think that is how you check fluid level. The service manual stated 1.5L uses 3.9 qts of CVT fluid. There is a port, covers by a nut, you use that port to check the level. When you put fluid at the top, and if you see the fluid seeping out at the port, that's when you know the level is right. You have to take out the air box to have access to this port.

This vid will show the check port

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You 100% do not need to remove the air box (* on the 1.5L turbo *) . A long-neck funnel well help to fill, but the plug is accessible by hand without removing a thing.
I was describing just how not-filled my transmission was, after putting in ~3.9qt; that the fluid level didn't even reach that visible metal surface inside.
I ordered another quart, and a gallon to get free shipping. I'll be changing the fluid for a family member soon, so no over-buy there. I just won't be driving for most of this week ?

Last edited:
OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
You 100% do not need to remove the air box. A long-neck funnel well help to fill, but the plug is accessible by hand without removing a thing.
I was describing just how not-filled my transmission was, after putting in ~3.9qt; that the fluid level didn't even reach that visible metal surface inside.
I ordered another quart, and a gallon to get free shipping. I'll be changing the fluid for a family member soon, so no over-buy there. I just won't be driving for most of this week ?

The manual stated 3.9 qts of CVT fluid. You will not see the fluid at the top after you put in 3.9 qts. If you planning to put in enough cvt fluid to see it at the top, you will put more than the 3.9 recommended qts. I suggest google how to check transmission fluid in Honda cvt trans; it is not by looking at from the top. It's up to you, it's your car.

FYI, there two ports to properly change and check CVT fluid. One for putting in fluid at the top, one for check the level of fluid, located on the front side of the trans.

Last edited:

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
what the heck are you talking about?

it sounds to me like you are trying to fill the CVT all the way up to the fill plug on the top of the CVT :doh:

that plug is for pouring the fluid in ONLY, NOT checking the level!!!

you need to check the fluid level with the check plug on the FRONT of the CVT

if you put a gallon in it, it is WAY OVERFILLED!!!

remove the check plug on the front, and be prepared with a bucket, cause a lot of fluid is going to drain out,

i hope you didn't run your car this way :doh:
Shhh. A gallon is 4 quarts

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm going to start the car and run through the gears, and then loosen the fill-check bolt to see what's what.

But really, is there such a thing as overfill on the CVT? It's a wet clutch, and that fill-check bolt is rather low on the transmission vs the opening at the top.

I didn't take a Pic while doing the maintenance. However, the fluid was what I'd consider rather dirty. I don't remember the fluid coming out at my first change being as dark (first: 19k mi; this one: ~40k mi). There was also a fair amount of metal on the megnetic drain bolt. Not shavings or visible flakes, just very fine metallic build-up.

I forgot how gross CVT Fluid smells. Yuck.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I put the car on stands, and I loosened the check bolt. Some fluid seeped down the threading. So, I lowered the car and started it + ran through the shifter positions a few times.
Then, I put the car back on stands, and removed the check bolt. Three drops came out. If I hadn't poured a bit of the gallon jug in to do a hobo-flush, it may have been more.

Regardless, I apologize to @jerryvvv. I was an ass, and though it was a nominal fluid difference in my case, others should not ignore the existence of the check bolt. It can easily be loosened with a wrench and is unlikely to be frozen like the drain bolt.

I still contend the check bolt is simply to verify a minimum amount of fluid is present- it's a wet system and pouring a full gallon, I speculate, is a nothing-burger.
Sponsored