First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX 2.0
Good Afternoon Everyone,

New to forums, hello!

Been reading through all the threads on here but cannot find anyone who seems to have successfully changed their own CVT Trans Fluid in a 2016 Civic EX 2.0.

Wondering has anyone managed to do this yet?

My dealership is trying to quote me $200 to have it drained and filled which is crazy since I can buy the HF2 CVT Fluid for $8.11 a qt.

I'm looking and can see the transmission below the engine air filter, it's obscured but think I can make out the drain plug.

Wondering if anyone has done this themselves yet and can point me in the right direction.

A co-woker of mine has a 2016 Accord which has a dipstick and an easily accessible fill plug, I cannot see that on my Civic.

My best guess is that I'd have to remove the Engine Air Filter housing to access somewhere to fill the transmission fluid up after draining, I was wondering if anyone knew this to be the case after doing it themselves?

Thank you very much for any input.
Sponsored

GeoUSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Any chance you ever hear a grinding noise when you start your Civic? If so you may find this thread interesting:

http://www.civicx.com/threads/warm-start-grinding-noise-news-fix.9952/#post-167233

There is a TSB to correct it and it includes a CVT fluid change. I have the grinding noise. TSB says reliability is not impacted so I am not in a rush to have this corrected yet. I do recall someone talking about changing their own CVT fluid -- and I believe it may be in that thread. If not, with search I see a few other CVT fluid change threads.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
i think you only need 4 qts for a fluid change.

you just drain it and fill it back up from the fill plug

OP
OP

awgfl88

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX 2.0
i think you only need 4 qts for a fluid change.

you just drain it and fill it back up from the fill plug
My problem is, where is the fill plug?

I can see the drain plug but the rest of the tranny is obscured by the air filter housing.

OP
OP

awgfl88

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX 2.0
Any chance you ever hear a grinding noise when you start your Civic? If so you may find this thread interesting:

http://www.civicx.com/threads/warm-start-grinding-noise-news-fix.9952/#post-167233

There is a TSB to correct it and it includes a CVT fluid change. I have the grinding noise. TSB says reliability is not impacted so I am not in a rush to have this corrected yet. I do recall someone talking about changing their own CVT fluid -- and I believe it may be in that thread. If not, with search I see a few other CVT fluid change threads.

Can't say I do hear a grinding noise, thanks for the info though.

OP
OP

awgfl88

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX 2.0
Excuse me guys, I'm being stupid, got the car up on a lift, now I can see the drain is on the bottom of the tranny and the it's a side fill. Need to go down to the auto store and get a pump to change it. Problem sorted I think!

Still, if anyone has experience doing it themselves I'd love to hear more.

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Excuse me guys, I'm being stupid, got the car up on a lift, now I can see the drain is on the bottom of the tranny and the it's a side fill. Need to go down to the auto store and get a pump to change it. Problem sorted I think!

Still, if anyone has experience doing it themselves I'd love to hear more.
@awgfl88 no one has posted pictures of a CVT fluid change yet. Would you mind taking some pictures and making a little how-to in the how-to forum?

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
My problem is, where is the fill plug?

I can see the drain plug but the rest of the tranny is obscured by the air filter housing.
its on top of the cvt. theres only one plug there that looks like you can lift up. its white with the letters HCF-2

OP
OP

awgfl88

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX 2.0
its on top of the cvt. theres only one plug there that looks like you can lift up. its white with the letters HCF-2
Really? So I will have to take the AF housing out to access it then? I can't see the top of the tranny.

OP
OP

awgfl88

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX 2.0
@awgfl88 no one has posted pictures of a CVT fluid change yet. Would you mind taking some pictures and making a little how-to in the how-to forum?
Yes Sir, intending to do it Monday when I can get the car on a lift again. Will try and document with pictures and maybe do a Youtube video too, I'm sure other people are looking for the answers also.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Really? So I will have to take the AF housing out to access it then? I can't see the top of the tranny.
I'm not sure if you have to take the intake box off but its easy. only a few bolts
Honda Civic 10th gen CVT Fluid Change 2016 Civic EX upload_2017-10-12_13-33-36

OP
OP

awgfl88

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX 2.0
I'm not sure if you have to take the intake box off but its easy. only a few bolts
upload_2017-10-12_13-33-36.png
That's not a 2016 Civic EX, at least nothing like what mine looks like...

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
View this thread. Follow "brox" and his commentary beginning at comment #83. He has a '16 EX 2.0 CVT.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/cvt-fluid-change.10395/page-6

The top rubber filler plug is very hard to access on the 2.0 CVT.

brox used the oil level check port on the front of the CVT for filling with new fluid. He never removed the rubber plug up top.

Same procedure as one uses for an oil change in a Honda manual transmission.
Sponsored