OP
OP

schmiddr2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Country flag
how many forum member will drive 225,000 miles. Most may return their car after 3 years leasing or I'm wrong ?
You are probably right that most 1st or 2nd owners of a Civic won't need to do much service at all, but that's rather obvious as average is about 15K miles/year. Maybe this is more of an elective service for low mileage cars, but it really cleaned up the fluid and is cheap as a DIY, $65 + fluid. Just takes a few hours. I like to keep vehicles longer than most people; seems a waste to trade up while it's still perfectly fine car even with all the miles.
Sponsored

frisker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
You are probably right that most 1st or 2nd owners of a Civic won't need to do much service at all, but that's rather obvious as average is about 15K miles/year. Maybe this is more of an elective service for low mileage cars, but it really cleaned up the fluid and is cheap as a DIY, $65 + fluid. Just takes a few hours. I like to keep vehicles longer than most people; seems a waste to trade up while it's still perfectly fine car even with all the miles.

Do you happen to have the torque sequence of the transmission oil pan? I looked online and could not find it and I will be doing this job soon. Thanks for the pics and info.

OP
OP

schmiddr2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Country flag
Do you happen to have the torque sequence of the transmission oil pan? I looked online and could not find it and I will be doing this job soon. Thanks for the pics and info.
I don't know, but I think I just went around in a circle and slowly tighten each bolt and around again until torqued. It doesn't leak so I figure it's good enough as is.

carlsoncustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Touring
Country flag
Good writeup, I was just watching some youtube videos today on the subject. I've had my car since new and always serviced at the dealership. I looked back over my invoices and all the CVT services I have had done they just list 4 quarts of fluid and a crush washer so I'm going to do a a fluid change with both filters now knowing the car has 170k on it without filters being changed.

I'll have to see if my torque wrench goes low enough to hit 9 ft lbs or do an inch pound conversion and use one of my small ones.

Thanks again.

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Maybe I'll give in and change the filters on my next CVT fluid change coming up at 200,000 miles... I swore I was only going to do what the Maintenance Minder said, and this seems too simple to not do. Especially want to do this since I will keep this car for well over 10 years.

sbace_hamb

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7
Country flag
Maybe I'll give in and change the filters on my next CVT fluid change coming up at 200,000 miles... I swore I was only going to do what the Maintenance Minder said, and this seems too simple to not do. Especially want to do this since I will keep this car for well over 10 years.
Was actually coming to reply something similar lol, just picked up a 2018 with 120k miles on it and I have absolutely no idea what kind of maintenance the CVT got. Might as well get in there and find out right away.

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Here’s what the manual says about tightening procedure.
Honda Civic 10th gen CVT filters with pan removal, pics IMG_2392

It’s also worth noting the manual has a section for general shop practices, and it has this to say about torquing sequence.
Honda Civic 10th gen CVT filters with pan removal, pics IMG_2393

Torque spec for the transmission pan bolts is 9 lbs-ft (108 lbs-in.). Since two steps are required, I would torque to 75 lbs-in. and again at 108 lbs-in.

Last edited:

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
It's worth mentioning that the CVTs are different between the 1.5L and the 2.0L.

Parts needed to replace the CVT fluid warmer filter (i.e., the round filter) for 2.0L:
Honda Civic 10th gen CVT filters with pan removal, pics 1701798747437

• #1: 25450-P4V-013 (Filter)
  • #3: 91302-5T0-003 (O-Ring, Cvtf Warmer)
  • #4: 91303-5T0-003 (O-Ring, Cvtf Warmer)
  • #5: 91305-PN4-003 (O-Ring [37.7X3.5[ [ARAI])

Parts needed to replace the CVT fluid warmer filter (i.e., the round filter) for 1.5L:
Honda Civic 10th gen CVT filters with pan removal, pics 1701798856201

• #1: 25450-P4V-013 (Filter)
  • #3: 25564-5LJ-A01 (O-Ring A, Cvtf Warmer)
  • #4: 25565-5LJ-A01 (O-Ring B, Cvtf Warmer)
  • #5: 91305-PN4-003 (O-Ring [37.7X3.5[ [ARAI])

Parts needed to replace the CVT strainer filter (i.e., the one in the pan) for 2.0L:
Honda Civic 10th gen CVT filters with pan removal, pics 1701799028323

• #5: 25420-5T0-003 (Strainer Assy. [CVT])
Honda Civic 10th gen CVT filters with pan removal, pics 1701799186206

• #5: 21814-5T0-000 (Gasket, Oil Pan)
  • #28: 90471-PX4-000 (Washer, Drain Plug [18MM])

Parts needed to replace the CVT strainer filter (i.e., the one in the pan) for 1.5L:
Honda Civic 10th gen CVT filters with pan removal, pics 1701799291523

• #8: 25420-5LJ-003 (Strainer Assy. [CVT])
Honda Civic 10th gen CVT filters with pan removal, pics 1701799393159

• #7: 21814-RJ2-003 (Gasket, Oil Pan)
  • #23: 90471-PX4-000 (Washer, Drain Plug [18MM])

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
And here's the info for replacing the CVT fluid warmer filter:

Removal:
Honda Civic 10th gen CVT filters with pan removal, pics 1701801661176

Install:
Honda Civic 10th gen CVT filters with pan removal, pics 1701801762120

***SOAK THOROUGHLY IN TRANSMISSION FLUID***

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
I just finished replacing both filters. It’s pretty straightforward but having spent 6 hours from start to finish, I will not do these again.

The pan was stuck to the transmission pretty good. There are tabs built into the pan that allow you pry (gently) to separate the two. Beware, there’s a lot more fluid in the pan than you think. Keep at least one bolt in the pan so it doesn’t drop. Keep track of where each bolt goes, there are different sizes!

I spent about an hour getting the old gasket material off the pan AND off the transmission. Very tiring mentally to focus on not screwing up either surface. I wish I had some gasket remover/solvent, but instead I had a 1x2 block with 400 grit wet sandpaper that I used to remove the gasket.

Both magnets were caked with very fine powder. The service manual says to replace these, so I did.

The pan filter just has two bolts. Remove them and pull down on the filter, being careful not to catch the wiring when pulling on the filter! When reinstalling, make sure the wires are free from the under the filter, and line the o-ring. When removing the filter, fluid will spew out from above. Be ready.

Tightening the pan bolts, I did the two step process outlined in the manual. 80 in-lbs then 108 in-lbs. I started at the middle bolt on one of the longer sides, the went to the bolt opposite, crisscrossing as I went. I worked my way down the long sides like this. Make sure to clean the mating surfaces before installing pan.

The CVT fluid warmer was easy, it just creates a mess as the fluid runs down the front of the transmission. Three 12mm bolts and the thing is off. Do the bottom one first so you don’t have to be under the car when the fluid is dripping all over. The o-rings fit in the grooves sort of funny with the nipples on the inside of the o-rings. Just make sure they’re lubed with trans fluid and then seated all the way in.

The CVT fluid warmer filter needs to be pulled out with a pick, grabbing onto the tabs of the filter body. Make sure the o-ring comes out with it! Also, the new filter needs to be soaked in trans fluid prior to install. When reinstalling the filter, lube the o-ring with trans fluid then put it on the filter. Slide the filter in the hole and you’ll start to feel the o-ring going into the hole at the back of the filter housing. Just pop it in the hole until it seats all the way in and supports itself horizontally (not sagging).

The CVT fluid warmer bolts are thought to get to. You’ll need a combination of short and deep sockets. There’s JUST enough room to get a torque wrench on the bottom bolt. I did these in two steps as well. 12 ft-lbs and then 20 ft-lbs, starting at the bottom bolt.

I initially put in 3.25 qts and it started coming out of the check hole. I put the check plug back in and put in the rest of the 4th quart. After the warm up and shifting procedure, I added in another half quart, making 4.5 qts total. I repeated this procedure again and put in another 1/4 quart. 4.75 qts total.

I drove easy for 10 miles of highway. Then I ran it in S mode for 10 miles back home to keep the RPMs up and build more heat. Then I ran through some heavier stop and go, getting a little spirited. No leaks so far. We will see.

Last edited:

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
How many miles on your CVT? How dirty were the filters?
190,xxx miles. I have not dissected the filters yet, but they did not look bad at all at first glance. Cleaner than OP's. I will post pictures when I can.