CVT failures

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't want to sound any alarms here, but I just had an interesting conversation with the local Honda dealer service tech with 25 years experience there, who stopped what he was doing and showed me yet another failed CVT. It had 60,000 miles on it and had had all scheduled services done there since new including fluid changes. He told me they are getting a lot of them now. And he wouldn't touch one with a 10' pole. This is just one man's opinion, but he is in a position to know.... does anyone have a CVT with like 200,000 miles on it???
Sponsored

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I mean, what maintenance needs to be done on a CVT aside changing the fuilds every 30k miles? Sort of makes me wonder why my dealer gave me lifetime powertrain warranty now.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
If mine fails, I'll make them take it back and apply it towards a Type-R.

FineBottledWater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am following another individual with transmission issue also. He has his 10th Gen Civic for about a year and he cannot back up his car. The dealer is looking into it right now.

OP
OP
planedoc

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am following another individual with transmission issue also. He has his 10th Gen Civic for about a year and he cannot back up his car. The dealer is looking into it right now.
The tech told me they've had many clutch failures in the CVT's, but quite a few belts too

OP
OP
planedoc

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is his a CVT too?

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only thing I've noticed is that switching from R to D, it takes a little longer than a typical automatic to engage. I always give it a half second longer until I hit the gas.

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
I know this is not the greatest comparison, but my 2004 Prius has a CVT type transmission and has 282,xxx miles on it. No issues and I changed the fluid numerous times even though it's not required. I'm glad I leased this 16 Civic Touring. I was gonna buy it, but I said nah, I'm gonna lease because it's a first year model. Only issues I have had (as others too) is with the flakey infortainment system. There is NO way I will keep this car at the end of the lease. I really wanted another Prius but can not stand the restyle (ugly azz butt). I am not gonna worry now since I have 18 months or so left on this lease.

arhncmh

It's not my fault, really.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan CVT
Country flag
I don't want to sound any alarms here, but I just had an interesting conversation with the local Honda dealer service tech with 25 years experience there, who stopped what he was doing and showed me yet another failed CVT. It had 60,000 miles on it and had had all scheduled services done there since new including fluid changes. He told me they are getting a lot of them now. And he wouldn't touch one with a 10' pole. This is just one man's opinion, but he is in a position to know.... does anyone have a CVT with like 200,000 miles on it???
1. How is it that a Honda Tech pulls you aside to show you this? I'm trying to understand what this person's motivation is and your relationship with him/her. Surely can't be a random occurrence.

2. Any correlation to motor type, 1.5T vs. 2.0?

3. Model year specific?

If this trend continues, we're likely to see either a warranty extension or a recall. I don't see Honda just sitting back and doing nothing if CVTs start dropping like flies.

OP
OP
planedoc

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
1. How is it that a Honda Tech pulls you aside to show you this? I'm trying to understand what this person's motivation is and your relationship with him/her. Surely can't be a random occurrence.

3. Model year specific?

If this trend continues, we're likely to see either a warranty extension or a recall. I don't see Honda just sitting back and doing nothing if CVTs start dropping like flies.[/

3. Model year specific?

If this trend continues, we're likely to see either a warranty extension or a recall. I don't see Honda just sitting back and doing nothing if CVTs start dropping like flies.
I have talked to this guy a couple times before. He knows I am a mechanic as well. We were talking about changing fluid in my 6MT, looking up my trans on his computer screen, which just happened to be right next to the car with the broken CVT when he mentioned how lucky I was to have gotten a manual trans instead of one of these. That's how it came up. This wasn't a gen X Civic, and obviously not the 1.5L. But it was a fairly late model Honda. He told me about the rash of clutch failures in CVT's, as well as several belt failures too. Which is when I asked him is that why they went to torque converters on the new ones? He thought that was more for drivability smoothness, but could be? A very nice, and chatty fellow. Also told me he changes his Honda automatic trans fluid at every engine oil change. I asked why so often, and he said they need it. I also asked him if the belt could be replaced? He said no, have to change out the whole trans. Which is what I have heard and read before.

Last edited:

arhncmh

It's not my fault, really.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan CVT
Country flag
Just what I need, another thing to worry about.

Like I said above, if issues become widespread, hopefully Honda will step up. I've been a loyal customer for reasons primarily founded on the brand's reliability.

I was initially in the market for a MT (all 6 previous cars back to my first), but chose a CVT because age has brought with it some knee, hip, and back problems that wouldn't play well with the 3rd pedal. TBH it was a tough choice. Now I drive like a granny because I have fun playing the fuel mileage game.

FWIW, I've owned 2 CVT other vehicles, both for my wife. First was a 2010 Nissan Sentra, which Nissan provided a 250k manufacturer's "peace of mind" warranty. No issues with that car through 95k (traded in). Her current vehicle is a 2015 Corolla. No issues through 25k, and she does tend to be a little hard on the equipment (27 mpg avg.).
Sponsored