CVT failed at 206XXX miles

Linny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK6 1.0 (GONE) FK7 1.5T prestige (UK)
Country flag
I think it might be a valve body's problem due to lack of oil change, as the oil did not changed frequent enough, the valve body might get jammed with the debris in the dirt fluid, then the pressure control of the CVT system cannot be precise enough to prevent the friction between the belt and the cone, as the belt does not supposed to contact the cone directly , which leads to the blown belt?
More frequent fluid changes wouldn't have kept the belt from blowing up.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Nessism...

It's a combination of things. @nickname admitted he drove like a mad man and only two did fluid changes in 200,000+ miles.

I mean it's pretty clear. More frequent fluid changes and less "drive it like you stole it" help with CVT longevity. We're not talking rocket science here. ;) I'm actually really impressed he got over 200,000 miles all things considered.

Last edited:

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
When is it recommended to get CVT fluid changed in KM's? Oil changes are done every 5-7000km. Car is approaching 40,000km. 3+ years old.

OP
OP
nickname

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Bottom line it's a combination of things. @nickname admitted he drove like a mad man and only two did fluid changes in 200,000+ miles.

I mean it's pretty clear. More frequent fluid changes and less "drive it like you stole it" help with CVT longevity. We're not talking rocket science here. ;)
I guess I deserve that 😌

verzachaye

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
When is it recommended to get CVT fluid changed in KM's? Oil changes are done every 5-7000km. Car is approaching 40,000km. 3+ years old.
The manual says every 25,000 miles (~40,000 km) if you do a lot of stop and go. I live in an area that's basically only stop and go, plus I tend to have a lead foot from time to time, so I change every 20,000 miles (~32,000 km). Little sooner if I beat on the car more between the intervals.

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
The manual says every 25,000 miles (~40,000 km) if you do a lot of stop and go. I live in an area that's basically only stop and go, plus I tend to have a lead foot from time to time, so I change every 20,000 miles (~32,000 km). Little sooner if I beat on the car more between the intervals.
Really? My manual says every 35,000 miles (56,000 km) for "severe" conditions.

Also, there is no set number of miles to change the CVT fluid. You change it when the Maintenance Minder (MM) says to change it. However, MM will not let you go more than 50,000 miles (80,000 km) between changes.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

verzachaye

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

Also, there is no set number of miles to change the CVT fluid. You change it when the Maintenance Minder (MM) says to change it. However, MM will not let you go more than 50,000 miles (80,000 km) between changes.
Hmm might've read it wrong then. Imo the interval of when it should be changed really depends on your driving habits (tuned vs stock, highway miles vs stop and go, etc.)

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag

I would say my driving is 60/40 highway, stop and go. So I guess I am good for at least another 20,000km. no tune or bolt ons.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I think the ideal interval is 30k miles between oil changes. Especially if a ton of stop and go or a lot of hills where you drive like a few people are saying. Torco or Amsoil are good alternatives from the OEM oil. We’ll see how long our 22 CVT lasts in comparison but 200k likes driving like a maniac is really good.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@nickname
I also think your CVT held up pretty well. I'm changing CVT oil ever 24,000 miles or every other year. But european driving conditions might be worse than american driving conditions. I guess due to more traffic congestions, so a lot more stop and go traffic. And also higher speeds.

Please give us an update, if you were able to find a used CVT and how much it was and also how much the labor cost was.

OP
OP
nickname

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
I've found multiple CVTs from salvaged civics going from 400 - 900 USD, a remanufactured CVT from Honda is about 4,000 USD

It's about a 10hr job at Honda/Acura repair shop in Houston, which will cost $1,000 just for labor.

I'm really considering buying an engine hoist and pulling it out rather than dropping the subframe like the shops want to do.

Either way, it's going to be a few months before I can save up $5k for everything

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Considering I have 173,000 miles on my 2016 EX, I'm very curious about this.
  1. How often did you replace the CVT fluid?
  2. What CVT fluid did you use?
  3. Did you ever replace any CVT filters?
  4. What are your driving conditions?
    1. heavy city/stop-and-go? mild city? mostly highway?
  5. What are your driving habits?
    1. Heavy acceleration? high-speed runs? casual?
  6. Any mods to the vehicle?
  7. Ever involved in a collision?
Not related to the cvt but at your mileage did you ever adjust your valves?