CVT Destroyed at 45k, looking to MT swap

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Last night, I was tracking my fk7 hatch with a CVT and just as the third session started the car wouldn't engage a "gear." After getting towed off I drove about 10 miles towards my home with it constantly slipping and eventually couldn't go further and towed it home. Can't say I wasn't expecting it, but it just happened so suddenly.

Car has been running and intake, downpipe, and e85 with ktuner for about a year and half. Used CVTs go for 1k shipped on ebay, maybe a bit more, but a used si tranny goes for about 2k. Im probably going to try swapping it for the lsd and mt that can handle the power of the car. What do you guys think ill need to do the swap?

I'm thinking:

Si transmission
Pedal assembly
ECU
Wiring harness
Shifter assembly with different cutout for car
New clutch and flywheel, maybe fx350
Cv axle internals, I heard the outside is the same from si to sport
Sad to hear. A little off topic but what sort of CVT fluid temps were you seeing on track? What track, and how long was each session?
Sponsored

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That was a helluva thread.

The tl;dr for it is that OP was able to get a manual V6 in the car (the auto and manual J35s have different heads), he had a manual trans with LSD swap in the car, and he had a manual wiring harness in the car. He could start the car and it would run like shit on the automatic PCM, but he was unable to solve problems pairing keys and could not get it to start on the manual PCM.

That was in early 2019.
I don’t think the guy has been active since then. He probably scrapped the plan, which at that point was probably the smart thing to do. It sucks all that time and money invested and wasted, but it’s a good lesson for everyone that wants to attempt something like this on more modern cars. He almost had it, but even if he did get it, was it worth it? Not really.

Ive heard of it being more of a success with 7th gen accords, but with these cars (CivicX), I’d guess it’s just about impossible to get it to drive perfectly if it can even be done at all.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
If you just want to tinker with something, buy a cheap old car and fix it up like 79th productions on YouTube does.

The most logical and cost effective thing to do here is replace the CVT, then sell the car and buy another that already has the mt.

OP
OP
Nickthewaffler

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7, 2016 Panamera, 2000 AP1 S2000
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That was a helluva thread.

The tl;dr for it is that OP was able to get a manual V6 in the car (the auto and manual J35s have different heads), he had a manual trans with LSD swap in the car, and he had a manual wiring harness in the car. He could start the car and it would run like shit on the automatic PCM, but he was unable to solve problems pairing keys and could not get it to start on the manual PCM.

That was in early 2019.
Sad to hear. A little off topic but what sort of CVT fluid temps were you seeing on track? What track, and how long was each session?
20 mins sessions at Streets of Willow. No fluid temps measured.

OP
OP
Nickthewaffler

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You're almost certainly right. There's lots of posts about how he just bought a pre-DEF Cummins, and how he wants to mod that. He almost certainly said "fuck this" and ditched the Accord and built the truck.

It's notable that 9th gen Accords have extremely similar key systems to 10th gen Civics, which is the part he got hung up on.

I bet that immobilizer issue was the only thing keeping that car from being perfect. Disabling it completely might have been the way to go.
I'll be cross-referencing parts tomorrow. As far as connecting a fob the an SI push to start system there is software that specializes in doing so, maybe a dealer or locksmith near me will help me out. Maybe I'll trick the electronics.

I'll post a list of all parts related to the swap that could possibly effect the install. Hopefully I can get some input from someone who specializes in electronics rather than vague warning about dangers. I appreciate the concern from everyone, but I want to know some more specifics about the technical hoops ill need to jump to make this project a sucess, before giving up the idea.

While at the end of the day, a type R might have the MT, thats not what this project is about to me. Even if ill pay the same money, I'd still rather have my fk7 than any used or new type R. I know, call me crazy.

Ofc, I won't be risking anything I'm not willing to lose. I modified the car knowing that one day it might blow and that ill be here. Ill be going forward with that same mindset. Nothing worth pursuing is going to be easy.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Why not just trade in for a manual car and mod that? Seems like the least aggravating move.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
While at the end of the day, a type R might have the MT, thats not what this project is about to me. Even if ill pay the same money, I'd still rather have my fk7 than any used or new type R. I know, call me crazy.

Ofc, I won't be risking anything I'm not willing to lose. I modified the car knowing that one day it might blow and that ill be here. Ill be going forward with that same mindset. Nothing worth pursuing is going to be easy.
While I understand where you’re coming from in terms of principles and the determination to do the impossible, that’s basically where I would draw the line.
You have to step back to reality for a couple minutes here. There is literally zero benefit to swapping the CVT for a 6MT in this car where the 6MT FK7s can be had if you look hard enough or even a lightly used CTR.

You’re shovelling money into a fire pit with this project. If money isn’t an issue just honestly get the Type R and mod the crap out of that. You’ll come out way ahead (probably more money leftover even after mods) and a car with a lot of power and a hell of a lot more reliable, and more track worthy.

With this project, it’s almost like doing a brain transplant on a human. It can’t be done without affecting something on the car in the long term, or to the point where you’ll be frustrated and scrap the project and take a huge loss. Almost impossible for it to be a complete success.

Most of us on this forum don’t have the means to do that kind of swap or the monetary funds to even do something like that, because I’m guessing if you were to count parts and labour alone, you’re probably looking at more than what the car is worth. I myself would go all day modifying my Si if I could, but at some point you do have to draw the line and see the limitations in certain projects.

At the end of the day though, it’s your money.

Last edited:

TypeX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ASPEC RDX
Country flag
Op
Call your insurance and see if you have MBI (mechanical breakdown insurance)
Most new cars have it and buyers dont even know its included in their premiums. Only eligible on new cars and usually like 7yrs/70l or something close.

If you have to repair trans/engine whatever it will be $250 or deductible then just put back to stock, trade in and buy an si or R

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Last night, I was tracking my fk7 hatch with a CVT and just as the third session started the car wouldn't engage a "gear." After getting towed off I drove about 10 miles towards my home with it constantly slipping and eventually couldn't go further and towed it home. Can't say I wasn't expecting it, but it just happened so suddenly.

Car has been running and intake, downpipe, and e85 with ktuner for about a year and half. Used CVTs go for 1k shipped on ebay, maybe a bit more, but a used si tranny goes for about 2k. Im probably going to try swapping it for the lsd and mt that can handle the power of the car. What do you guys think ill need to do the swap?

I'm thinking:

Si transmission
Pedal assembly
ECU
Wiring harness
Shifter assembly with different cutout for car
New clutch and flywheel, maybe fx350
Cv axle internals, I heard the outside is the same from si to sport
Hey. The CivicX is not the right forum to go and talk about real modding!! If you are contemplating real mods like sticking a Honda V6 in your Civic, or an LS Swap, this is NOT the right place! Now, where is the ice cream sundae so we can chat with this heat?

If you swap then for sure use the SI 6MT transmission with LSD. If you find the right donor car, you could purchase perhaps the whole engine and trans and keep the extra parts for money or spares for yourself. Maybe you can visit the auction sites and buy a whole wrecked SI or HB Sport(winthout LSD) for cheap?

Enjoy and don't forget to put free-flow mufflers as lower Civics have restrictive baffled mufflers.

OP
OP
Nickthewaffler

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey. The CivicX is not the right forum to go and talk about real modding!! If you are contemplating real mods like sticking a Honda V6 in your Civic, or an LS Swap, this is NOT the right place! Now, where is the ice cream sundae so we can chat with this heat?

If you swap then for sure use the SI 6MT transmission with LSD. If you find the right donor car, you could purchase perhaps the whole engine and trans and keep the extra parts for money or spares for yourself. Maybe you can visit the auction sites and buy a whole wrecked SI or HB Sport(winthout LSD) for cheap?

Enjoy and don't forget to put free-flow mufflers as lower Civics have restrictive baffled mufflers.
I always get anti-mod vibes on this forum, but that makes sense. There is clear dangers involved and some people legit don't understand that. So better to deter those, then to encourage wrecking cars beyond a budget.. Once you accepted that though, thats where the fun begins.
Ill consider the cheapest option after writing out a parts list. At the end of the day, I might put the cvt back in, but only once I hit a definitive road blockade. Will I cry if I decide to try doing this? Probably. Will I fail the project completely? Maybe. Will I be able to scrap everything put the CVT back in and sell the parts I bought at a loss of money but a gain of experience and knowledge? Most likely.

OP
OP
Nickthewaffler

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Alright so here is the list so far! Prices are estimates with shipping rounded up.

Side transmission mount for civic si tranny: 50850-TBC-A01 - $150
Clutch Master/Slave Cylinder $50
Mounting Bolts - $15
Passenger Axle Shaft, Driver Axle Shaft, Central half shaft - $600
Power Steering Rack- All part numbers are same other than pump. If I need a new pump its $500.
Pedal Assembly - $100
Shift Lever Assembly and Wire - $300
Steering joint cover is different - OEM is $10 so might as well- Not sure why it's differnt
Relays are all OMRON on the SI, I'm asuuming this is a brand and that specs are the same. -Someone who knows electrical correct me if I'm wrong.
Engine wire harness - $200
PCM - $220
Guage cluster and instrument with wire harness - $320
Manual Transmission Assmebly - $2000

TLDR: Do I need a new power steering pump? Why is the steering joint cover different? Will it be safe to use the Sport relays?

I'll be checking to see if the shaft ends are the same and the steering clearance is the same.

Also comes the question of which clutch to run. I'm thinking Exedy stage 2 with their race flywheel.

In the sport MT to Si MT thread, the guy had clutch clearance issues. Should I expect this problem?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I always get anti-mod vibes on this forum, but that makes sense. There is clear dangers involved and some people legit don't understand that. So better to deter those, then to encourage wrecking cars beyond a budget.. Once you accepted that though, thats where the fun begins.
Ill consider the cheapest option after writing out a parts list. At the end of the day, I might put the cvt back in, but only once I hit a definitive road blockade. Will I cry if I decide to try doing this? Probably. Will I fail the project completely? Maybe. Will I be able to scrap everything put the CVT back in and sell the parts I bought at a loss of money but a gain of experience and knowledge? Most likely.
It depends on what you call an "anti-mod" vibe. There are tons of heavily modded cars here and tons of discussions on everything from cosmetic stuff to tuning.

Now on the other hand, when folks come up with ideas that are out of the box and very likely doomed to fail there is some understandable skepticism.

I always try to be the voice of reason but at the end of the day if blowing wads of money with doubtful results is your thing... more power to you.

Looking forward to your detailed thread on the transmission swap.

Last edited: